Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Hock and Mossop to the Eels

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,868 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:57 AM

Seems to be hotting up - the Eels could do with some help!

http://www.news.com....9-1226619286058

Edited by Kenilworth Tiger, 12 April 2013 - 09:57 AM.

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#2 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:16 AM

more and more will go! But remember its good for the sport because it weakens the top teams.

#3 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,143 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:19 AM

Saw this mentioned on twitter this morning.. Hock looks nailed on, but can't see Wigan parting with Mossop, unless of course he wants to go.. then its all about the fee..

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#4 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:30 AM

Really don't have a problem with this, the more the merrier in my opinion. In an ideal world I'd like to see the best british players stay in super league and see the best overseas talent come here but the reality is the NRL is the better competition, paying the better wages and offering the better lifestyle. I'd also like to see more backs head down under to improve England's chances against the Aussies and now the kiwis who have at least half a dozen eligible kiwi players playing for every NRL club and u20's teams, not including the NZ warriors who obviously have more.

#5 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,978 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:34 AM

As mentioned on the Hull KR-Wigan thread where this came up. I think the top teams will see themselves right by signing/buying another player from another team, or promoting from within. The bottom end will have to make up the losses.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#6 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:39 AM

As I said in the HKR - Wigan thread, ;-) I think Wigan don't need any external recruitment on losing either of these players. In effect Hock has gone and our young kids have shown they can step up.

When we lose Tomkins though, sadly he's irreplaceable.

In general though you're right. Sadly the bottom end of the league don't have the junior systems to cope with it and the bigger transfer fees will go to the clubs losing the players to the NRL, creating more inequality. 

#7 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,144 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:42 AM

more and more will go! But remember its good for the sport because it weakens the top teams.

No - it's not good because it weakens the top teams - I don't think anybody has ever suggested that.

The positives are:

a) it can help to strengthen our Test team - this has worked for the Kiwis

b ) this can help to stop people from going to Union - this is good for RL

c ) it can give more opportunities to more British players to come through and take these gaps. We will end up with more British players playing at high levels overall.

The negatives:

a) we don't get to see some of our best players playing for our favourite teams.

b ) the standard of SL can drop - this is always open to interpretation - rugby league fans have been telling anyone who will listen that the game is getting worse year on year for the last 30 years, so what's different there? The game is exciting, the rules see to that - the athletes are fantastic, they won;t let us down, the comp will be very strong.

#8 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:46 AM

Not sure I agree with your positives other than the first (and I'm not convinced a successful test team will bring the fans flocking in). Really its the money that people go to union for, and possibly the recognition, but most likely the money.And as has been discussed to death the new dual reg system is killing youth development.

#9 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,978 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:46 AM

When we lose Tomkins though, sadly he's irreplaceable.

By all accounts Hampshire might be a pretty damn good replacement. But at the moment it's still speculation with Tomkins, I have a feeling he might not want to leave anyway. Seems odd repeating myself but that's not Kenny's fault this topic was brought up the other day on another thread. At the Bulls we had a bit of a sulk at the three Burgii leaving, who - in Sam - genuinely wanted to test himself, and it looks as though Hull have already replaced one Tom with another in Lineham. So the conveyor belt is there, and the cash too like Salford have found to their cost over 3 to 4 seasons.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#10 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:53 AM

yeah we both strayed off topic slightly

#11 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,144 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:54 AM

Not sure I agree with your positives other than the first (and I'm not convinced a successful test team will bring the fans flocking in). Really its the money that people go to union for, and possibly the recognition, but most likely the money.And as has been discussed to death the new dual reg system is killing youth development.

If we beat the Aussies in a series or win the World Cup it is pretty much guaranteed that we would get increased media coverage, viewing figures and crowd figures. I would argue that point 100% with anybody.

Yes - the money point about Union is right, but if there is money on offer from the NRL then they have a different option to make decent money.

How can something be 'killing' youth development in the space of 3-4 months? I suspect there will be changes over the coming months and years until it is right. Your club voted for DR and the scrapping of the old system, they seem to have very good youth records, so maybe they have a strong idea of what is right to do?

#12 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,868 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:56 AM

sorry - hadn't realised this had already been brought up

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#13 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,613 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:56 AM

I like how the idea of another club snapping up your players is completely alien to Wigan fans. They don't like it, do they.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#14 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,978 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:57 AM

There is also the option of these players return to Super League.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#15 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,144 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:57 AM

I like how the idea of another club snapping up your players is completely alien to Wigan fans. They don't like it, do they.

:D

#16 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,978 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:58 AM

Well I didn't want to be the one to bring it up...

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#17 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,978 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:59 AM

sorry - hadn't realised this had already been brought up

In fairness, I think that Hull KR v Wigan match thread also covered Thatcher, North Korea, Ian Millward and tomorrow's lottery numbers.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#18 ParraEelsNRL

ParraEelsNRL
  • Coach
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:08 AM

Please let it be true as a selfish Parramatta fan, as a Rugby League fan in general, I can see both good and bad in the best of the British all heading over here.

My eels desperately need someone with a bit of mongrel in the pack and Hock is just the type of player we need even with his weekly penalty count. The other player Mossop is a bonus hopefully, sorry as I haven't seen him play as much, is he a good performer week in week out, or a bit hot and cold?

#19 ParraEelsNRL

ParraEelsNRL
  • Coach
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:12 AM

Btw, you haven't got a spare underrated young hooker/DH lying around somewhere waiting for a crack at the big time?

(the one we got is pants)

#20 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,850 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:13 AM

Mossops fairly consistent, he's had abit of bad luck with injuries this season. I believe he's more than capable to play in the NRL, he will be a good signing. Hock can win and lose you games against any level of opposition. If he cuts the penalties out and stupid errors he could be the best second rower in the world.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users