Hock and Mossop to the Eels

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 Bearman

Bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,544 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:15 AM

Does this mean we can save money by standing down the disciplinary committee on Tuesdays after Hock has played?
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#22 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:21 AM

Mossops fairly consistent, he's had abit of bad luck with injuries this season. I believe he's more than capable to play in the NRL, he will be a good signing. Hock can win and lose you games against any level of opposition. If he cuts the penalties out and stupid errors he could be the best second rower in the world.

He has had his chances.
He is heading to 30 years of age, doubtful he will forfill his potential, he was at his best years ago and that was not consistently the best second rower in the World then.

#23 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,255 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:26 AM

He has had his chances.
He is heading to 30 years of age, doubtful he will forfill his potential, he was at his best years ago and that was not consistently the best second rower in the World then.

He's better now than he was before his ban IMO. He seems in brilliant physical condition, so I don't think his game will start declining till he hits around 32, still enough time to establish himself as the best second rower in the world after the world cup.

#24 ParraEelsNRL

ParraEelsNRL
  • Coach
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:28 AM

Mossops fairly consistent, he's had abit of bad luck with injuries this season. I believe he's more than capable to play in the NRL, he will be a good signing. Hock can win and lose you games against any level of opposition. If he cuts the penalties out and stupid errors he could be the best second rower in the world.

That's good to know about Mossop, I agree about Hock, what I've seen impresses me very much, but at the same time, he can and does ruin his good work by doing something stupid not long later or out of the blue at a critical moment.

I do hope we can sign these two, heck even one will be good regardless. I can see the benefits for the national team and maybe the juniors coming through if given a go (that's what I'm concerned about, if they continue looking elsewhere).

I want my team to be strong and we should be looking at where we are and what our junior catchment is like before looking elsewhere, but my team sadly has been run into the ground and needs a rebuild, if it's quicker going after imprts from overseas, fair enough, but if it's going to hurt the UK domestic game, Parramatta should steer clear and look in their own patch even if it takes another couple of bad seasons.

The game comes first imo, not my club.

#25 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:43 AM

That's good to know about Mossop, I agree about Hock, what I've seen impresses me very much, but at the same time, he can and does ruin his good work by doing something stupid not long later or out of the blue at a critical moment.

I do hope we can sign these two, heck even one will be good regardless. I can see the benefits for the national team and maybe the juniors coming through if given a go (that's what I'm concerned about, if they continue looking elsewhere).

I want my team to be strong and we should be looking at where we are and what our junior catchment is like before looking elsewhere, but my team sadly has been run into the ground and needs a rebuild, if it's quicker going after imprts from overseas, fair enough, but if it's going to hurt the UK domestic game, Parramatta should steer clear and look in their own patch even if it takes another couple of bad seasons.

The game comes first imo, not my club.

I would prefer to have nothing to do with Hock, I don't like his style or his past and do not really rate what he delivers in any consistent way, hot and cold and pretty stupid too often, no place for a player than can not control himself for me.

Parramatta have been run so badly for so long it does my head in, although they have been in Grand Finals, they seem to self destruct when they are doing ok.

If Parra could consistently get up there the whole NRL will get a boost, I fear they have let so many supporters down for so long that the damage may not be easy to fix.

#26 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,688 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:47 AM

I would prefer to have nothing to do with Hock, I don't like his style or his past and do not really rate what he delivers in any consistent way, hot and cold and pretty stupid too often, no place for a player than can not control himself for me.

Parramatta have been run so badly for so long it does my head in, although they have been in Grand Finals, they seem to self destruct when they are doing ok.

If Parra could consistently get up there the whole NRL will get a boost, I fear they have let so many supporters down for so long that the damage may not be easy to fix.

Hock has real issues in that he struggles with his rage even when he has the ball.

There have been a number of occasions where he has been penalised instead of just getting up and playing the ball.

I can live with somebody pushing the limits with aggression and tackles and sometimes going ott, but some of the penalties and negatives he bring to a team can really hurt them.

#27 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:50 AM

If we beat the Aussies in a series or win the World Cup it is pretty much guaranteed that we would get increased media coverage, viewing figures and crowd figures. I would argue that point 100% with anybody.

Yes - the money point about Union is right, but if there is money on offer from the NRL then they have a different option to make decent money.

How can something be 'killing' youth development in the space of 3-4 months? I suspect there will be changes over the coming months and years until it is right. Your club voted for DR and the scrapping of the old system, they seem to have very good youth records, so maybe they have a strong idea of what is right to do?

You've missed the bit where I said on the HKR - Wigan thread that I was appalled that wigan voted for it. I'm a wigan supporter, but don't always agree with everything they do, so I don't think you can throw that strawman at me. I hope you're right though and it gets changed.

The union/ NRL agruement is a bit different. I think the players will be worth about the same in the NRL and Union. However, you can either stay in the same country, keep all your friends, or completely start again in another country (with better weather). That's not necessarily an easy choice.

#28 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,688 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:54 AM

You've missed the bit where I said on the HKR - Wigan thread that I was appalled that wigan voted for it. I'm a wigan supporter, but don't always agree with everything they do, so I don't think you can throw that strawman at me. I hope you're right though and it gets changed.

The union/ NRL agruement is a bit different. I think the players will be worth about the same in the NRL and Union. However, you can either stay in the same country, keep all your friends, or completely start again in another country (with better weather). That's not necessarily an easy choice.

Apologies if it came across like that, I was simply pointing out that Wigan are probably the best at youth development in the game here, yet they saw fit to scrap the previous system. I'm absolutely convinced they didn't do this simply to save 100k.

I'd like to hear what the likes of Wigan and Leeds have to say on this, as for all we know the previous system may have been pants.

I agree the NRL v Union thing is not an easy choice - but at least it is a choice. At least some players who get attractive offers are not having to leave the game.

#29 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:55 AM

Hock has real issues in that he struggles with his rage even when he has the ball.

There have been a number of occasions where he has been penalised instead of just getting up and playing the ball.

I can live with somebody pushing the limits with aggression and tackles and sometimes going ott, but some of the penalties and negatives he bring to a team can really hurt them.

Totally agree Dave.
There are certain traits in players that you do not want, if they can not adjust those issues they have no place in the Team.
I have seen plenty of overly aggressive players but without control they are a liability.

I always liked something that the late Jack Gibson did, he would not accept overtly foul or dirty play, he hooked players from the field and gave them time in the reserves if need be to consider how they played the game, it may have been detrimental to his team but he did what he thought was right regarding foul play.
I like that.

#30 Emosi Koloto

Emosi Koloto
  • Coach
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:57 AM

Btw, you haven't got a spare underrated young hooker/DH lying around somewhere waiting for a crack at the big time?

(the one we got is pants)

Daryl Clark at Castleford, just 20 yo but one of the best young hookers i have seen. I agree, Keating is ######.

Everything under the sun is in tune
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

#31 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,639 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:11 PM

The Andy Powell signing now makes more sense.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#32 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,299 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:12 PM

Hock in the NRL would be pure entertainment.. the good side, his obvious skills, and the bad side, his tendency to start rucks and give away stupid penalties, he'd certainly be great copy for the Aussie journo's..

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#33 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,555 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:21 PM

When Adrian Morley went down under, the Aussie press had a field day with his wayward discipline and general hotheadedness. I doubt Hock has the Moz's potential to learn self-control.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#34 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:35 PM

When Adrian Morley went down under, the Aussie press had a field day with his wayward discipline and general hotheadedness. I doubt Hock has the Moz's potential to learn self-control.

But for all his talent Morley was effectively rubbed out of the NRL.
He was released by the Roosters mid season after attempting to knee a player in the face at the play the ball

Its a business at the end of the day and staff that can not get with the rules are cut loose.

Edited by AndyCapp, 12 April 2013 - 12:41 PM.

#35 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,688 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:52 PM

But for all his talent Morley was effectively rubbed out of the NRL.
He was released by the Roosters mid season after attempting to knee a player in the face at the play the ball

Its a business at the end of the day and staff that can not get with the rules are cut loose.

Not strictly true - Morley had already signed for Wire and then got banned for 7 games with 6 to go in the NRL.

#36 ParraEelsNRL

ParraEelsNRL
  • Coach
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:58 PM

Parra need to get some mongrel, I reckon we should take the chance and Hock should too, he could change a lot of opinions about himself by performing, and everyone who watches the sport wants all the players in all the teams to perform at their top level and show us some great Rugby League.

Everything you said about Parramatta is true unfortunately, as we seen in 2009, 75,000 will turn up to see two top Sydney clubs battle it out, a crowd that even the mighty South Sydney could not beat against the same opposition in the same game, yet here they are a few seasons later with arguably the second biggest junior nursery in world Rugby League struggling to keep local juniors.

It defies belief that it has been allowed to happen for so long, Parramatta are a powerhouse club in the NRL, they should not be struggling. 

#37 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:03 PM

Not strictly true - Morley had already signed for Wire and then got banned for 7 games with 6 to go in the NRL.

That may well be right Dave but his card was already marked at Easts, he was not offered a long term contract due to his inability to stay on the field.

#38 ParraEelsNRL

ParraEelsNRL
  • Coach
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:05 PM

Daryl Clark at Castleford, just 20 yo but one of the best young hookers i have seen. I agree, Keating is ######.

I hope the fella from Parra having a look at the two current guys has a read of the forum and takes a peak, we need someone, something and anything because, as you said, Keating really is ######   :lol:

#39 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:07 PM

Parra need to get some mongrel, I reckon we should take the chance and Hock should too, he could change a lot of opinions about himself by performing, and everyone who watches the sport wants all the players in all the teams to perform at their top level and show us some great Rugby League.

Everything you said about Parramatta is true unfortunately, as we seen in 2009, 75,000 will turn up to see two top Sydney clubs battle it out, a crowd that even the mighty South Sydney could not beat against the same opposition in the same game, yet here they are a few seasons later with arguably the second biggest junior nursery in world Rugby League struggling to keep local juniors.

It defies belief that it has been allowed to happen for so long, Parramatta are a powerhouse club in the NRL, they should not be struggling.

Have you ever noticed how many players leave Parra as duds to go on and be Stars with The Dogs or Manly etc?
How many players do Parra pay top dollar for that turn to ###### at Parra?
Its almost like the Club is a Jinx since the mid 80's

The best player they have had since their Golden Days Jamie Lyon they manage to ###### up.

Edited by AndyCapp, 12 April 2013 - 01:08 PM.

#40 ParraEelsNRL

ParraEelsNRL
  • Coach
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:11 PM

Have you ever noticed how many players leave Parra as duds to go on and be Stars with The Dogs or Manly etc?
How many players do Parra pay top dollar for that turn to ###### at Parra?
Its almost like the Club is a Jinx since the mid 80's

The best player they have had since their Golden Days Jamie Lyon they manage to ###### up.

It brings a tear to the eye knowing that every year, no matter what teams are playing in the GF, one or both teams will have a Parra junior playing that was deemed not good enough for the eels first grade squad!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users