Hock and Mossop to the Eels

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 ParraEelsNRL

ParraEelsNRL
  • Coach
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:12 PM

It brings a tear to the eye knowing that every year, no matter what teams are playing in the GF, one or both teams will have a Parra junior playing that was deemed not good enough for the eels first grade squad!

Oops forgot to add, in Manly's case, they've won GF's with half a team full of Parra discards/rejects in the last few years  :blink:

#42 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,917 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:24 PM

edited

Edited by AndyCapp, 12 April 2013 - 01:33 PM.

#43 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,435 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:58 PM

That may well be right Dave but his card was already marked at Easts, he was not offered a long term contract due to his inability to stay on the field.

dunno about that, sure it was a factor as he served a fair few bans over there

funnily enough not sure he has been banned since he returned here - he certainly hasn't seen red.

#44 philipw

philipw
  • Coach
  • 545 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:24 PM

dunno about that, sure it was a factor as he served a fair few bans over there

funnily enough not sure he has been banned since he returned here - he certainly hasn't seen red.

Plus weren't they sniffing around about two years ago with an offer for him to return there?

#45 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:19 PM

Would have been a lot more bothered about Mossop six weeks ago. However given that the likes of Crosby, Flower, Dudson and Burke have stepped up in his absence, I'm content that we'd cope. Good luck to Lee - I hope he's a success and that the recurring problems with his shoulders are not a chronic weakness. Less said about Hock the better. Although a talent, I'm glad to get rid of his inconsistency and we're better off with Farrell in any case.

#46 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,917 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:32 AM

Honestly, I don't get it.

Australians are always banging on about how good they are, and how many great players they bring through, yet the raids on English players are increasing.

Cause they can Franksy, plenty of good cheap deals to be had at bargain bin prices.
Half of them will do really well the other half will play for a feeder Club then go home.
Tomkins will be next unless he goes to Union.

The positive side is there are only the same amount of English players in first grade NRL as most Super League teams had
Aussies and Kiwis in each Club team for most of the last decade.

#47 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:21 AM

the gold coast titans are supposed to be interested in sam tomkins

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#48 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,917 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:04 PM

Oh, how the worm has turned.

A couple of years of economic upside, and now the Aussies are willing to chuck their RL principles down the nearest dunny.

Australians have been slagging off British RL for decades for attempting to poach their best players, and now the exchange rate has finally gone in your favour, you do exactly the same.

Not like the Aussies to be contrary, is it?

What's the betting that the next time Australia lose a test match, the over abundance of British players in the NRL gets the blame?

Don't worry Hannibal, Wigan have a production line of Juniors, they will just turn out more that are even better than the ones leaving.

#49 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,917 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:12 AM

I'm not worried. I'm also not Hannibal, whoever he is.

I just wonder why, with the supposed numbers of fantastic players coming through the ranks in Australia, the clubs are going for record numbers of English players.

Record number in what context?
There were far more English players in the ARL for short seasons when the Leagues were played at opposite seasons.
How many current players have been signed from England that are guaranteed a starting team spot in the NRL at this stage?
I will start it off.

1)Sam Burgess
2)James Graham
3)George Burgess (only a handful of games under his belt at this stage, he was hardly a star import)
4)
5)

You can fill in the other 2 dozen or so that you have in mind.

I am sorry you are not the well known identity known as Hannibal or Wigan Warrior, you seemed very familiar Franksy, my mistake.

Edited by AndyCapp, 15 April 2013 - 12:17 PM.

#50 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,917 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:11 PM

If the clubs don't want them for starting spots, then why do they want them at all? Just because they can?

Well who are you talking about?

Maybe they are priced right and are a back up option? or potential future players, look at the Burgess boys, Sam had the name the others were fringe players that would not be on top dollar, they have probably done better in Oz than they may have in England.
Why was Worrincy signed? dunno, he was not expensive I guess, he may have been a similar wage as some Windsor Wolves players, Jordan Tansey? Richard Mathers?
If a player backs himself and has potential and is cheap what is the risk?
Worst thing can happen he does not make it and goes home.

So Franksy..
1)Sam Burgess
2)James Graham
3)George Burgess (only a handful of games under his belt at this stage, he was hardly a star import)
4)
5)

You can fill in the other 2 dozen or so that you have in mind.

Who are the others on this exodus?

#51 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,917 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:29 PM

Oh, how the worm has turned.

A couple of years of economic upside, and now the Aussies are willing to chuck their RL principles down the nearest dunny.

Australians have been slagging off British RL for decades for attempting to poach their best players, and now the exchange rate has finally gone in your favour, you do exactly the same.

Not like the Aussies to be contrary, is it?

What's the betting that the next time Australia lose a test match, the over abundance of British players in the NRL gets the blame?

Just looking back at this, is that what the Aussies said when the Kiwis won the World Cup? even though a fair percentage of the team was born in Australia and all bar a couple of players plied their trade in the NRL?
If they did I do not recall it that way.
I for one did not enjoy losing who does, but I realise it was good for the game in general

And as much as I would hate to see a loss by Australia to England in this years World Cup a big part of me hopes that happens as it is what the game needs right now.
But not a one off, it needs to be regularly a "Test".
We will see.

Edited by AndyCapp, 15 April 2013 - 08:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users