Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Tarn and Bordeaux on track for revised French Elite

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 911 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:05 AM

Looks like the Super X111 concept is dead in the water, since Carlos took on the presidency he seems to have postponed/discarded this and is focused on revising the Elite league bringing in all of the main centres of strength within the french game to the top Elite level. 

Albi and Lesecure have had positive talks and look set to merge as UTT - Union Treiziste Tarn, which would be great for the game over there, I also understand that Carlos is in continued discussions with representatives from Bordeaux about bringing them into the league also, it looks like they will work with and take on the brand of the soccer club.

So far good news, in the long term he is also aiming to bring Lyon Rhone-Villerbaune into the Elite which again would be great for the sport, this club has massive potential. 

#2 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,823 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:19 PM

Now seems to be the time to sieze the initiative in France with the french RU team in such dissarray.

#3 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,926 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:19 PM

Now seems to be the time to sieze the initiative in France with the french RU team in such dissarray.

What's that got to do with anything?

#4 winnyason

winnyason
  • Coach
  • 384 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 01:48 AM

The priority has to be Toulouse in superleague. I find it hard to work out get a good crowd of 12 thousand in lens what is the further plan up north from what I have read the people seem interested in the national team. There seems potential for growth is there any chance of a lower level clubs out of lens and other northern cities, or another test maybe a lead up to World Cup or even Catalans superleague game?

#5 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,823 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:31 PM

What's that got to do with anything?

Merely that the time seems right for the initiatives which are the subject of this thread especially seeing as how the main competition, namely RU, is on a bit of a downer in France. Just mu opinion. Not a major point.

#6 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:40 PM

Looks like the Super X111 concept is dead in the water, since Carlos took on the presidency he seems to have postponed/discarded this and is focused on revising the Elite league bringing in all of the main centres of strength within the french game to the top Elite level. 

Albi and Lesecure have had positive talks and look set to merge as UTT - Union Treiziste Tarn, which would be great for the game over there, I also understand that Carlos is in continued discussions with representatives from Bordeaux about bringing them into the league also, it looks like they will work with and take on the brand of the soccer club.

So far good news, in the long term he is also aiming to bring Lyon Rhone-Villerbaune into the Elite which again would be great for the sport, this club has massive potential.

I dont think Zalduendo had any choice. It was always dependent on Dayan getting Bein Sport Television on board I think. It appears that Bein are still only interested in NRL/SL. Will have to wait and see if they will cover this years WC in France.

Zalduendo has also had meetings recently with the people at St Gaudens who dropped out of the competition completely two years back. They've played Elite 2 this year. For the game in Toulouse he must think having the Tarn & Albi plus St Gaudens back in Elite 1 as key components for re-stimulating the game in the wider Mid-Pyrenean region. Bordeaux back at that level would be a real coup. It was tried a few years back though with little success. The news coming out of Lyon appears interesting. They look like making a determined effort to return to Elite 1 the season after next. One thing which may help these teams is if the number of overseas players was limited but I dont know how they could get that to work. It would need a sea change by all the club Presidents. A collective approach. For the time being 10 evenly matched clubs in Elite 1 next autumn would be a start. Here's hoping.

Edited by audois, 13 April 2013 - 12:43 PM.

si tu (remi casty) devais envoyer un fax au president guasch?
"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"
Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

#7 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,926 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 01:03 PM

Merely that the time seems right for the initiatives which are the subject of this thread especially seeing as how the main competition, namely RU, is on a bit of a downer in France. Just mu opinion. Not a major point.

I'm not sure that they are on a downer. A bad national team doesn't necessarily indicate that the club game isn't healthy.

Nor do I think that they are the main competition. AFAIK the French play basketball and handball more than rugby union, it's just that we are far less aware of these sports.

#8 winnyason

winnyason
  • Coach
  • 384 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 02:13 PM

As a side note young Garcia seems to be doing well at broncos under 20s and tony gigot is playing ok with sharks reserve grade. Both you would imagine would feature come World Cup time.

#9 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 790 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:31 AM

I dont think Zalduendo had any choice. It was always dependent on Dayan getting Bein Sport Television on board I think. It appears that Bein are still only interested in NRL/SL. Will have to wait and see if they will cover this years WC in France.

Edited by Jim from Oz, 14 April 2013 - 12:32 AM.

#10 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 790 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:32 AM

Surely SOMEBODY will televise the 2013 RLWC in France ????

#11 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:46 AM

Surely SOMEBODY will televise the 2013 RLWC in France ????

Jim - Sure they'll get coverage. There's talk that both the new l'Equipe channel & France 3 Regional are on board for the Championship Final at Gilbert Brutus next month. May be for the WC would hope Bein be there with France 3 Regional giving both pay-p-view & public free to air coverage. I cannot remember the last time any of the three public broadcasters showed the game across all the networks.
si tu (remi casty) devais envoyer un fax au president guasch?
"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"
Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

#12 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 790 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:26 AM

Jim - Sure they'll get coverage. There's talk that both the new l'Equipe channel & France 3 Regional are on board for the Championship Final at Gilbert Brutus next month. May be for the WC would hope Bein be there with France 3 Regional giving both pay-p-view & public free to air coverage. I cannot remember the last time any of the three public broadcasters showed the game across all the networks.

well that sounds promising …

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users