RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Mr. Ganson

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 7,727 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:41 PM

Has retired from refereeing.He will continue at the RFL in a  coaching role.

"appointed as Match Officials Coach and Technical Director and will start his new role on Monday" @therfl

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 12 April 2013 - 12:56 PM.

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.

#2 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,759 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:48 PM

My word.

This and Thatcher in one week. :ph34r:

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#3 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 7,727 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:14 PM

Thanks for the memories ;)

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.

#4 RLDave

RLDave
  • Coach
  • 641 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:15 PM

Rugby League on the up
@ohcallicalli

You can't beat an owl!

#5 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,759 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:24 PM

Thanks for the memories ;)

I don't even need to click on that link to know what that is!

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#6 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,131 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:39 PM

PRESS RELEASE

Steve Ganson retires to take up new referee coaching role

Rugby League senior referee Steve Ganson has retired from refereeing to take up a new position in the RFL Match Officials Department.
Ganson, 43, has been appointed as Match Officials Coach and Technical Director and will start his new role on Monday (April 15).
Steve Ganson said: “I have been very fortunate to have enjoyed the career I have, the last 23 years have taken me on a fantastic journey and given me experiences I’ll never forget.

“This move has all come about very quickly but opportunities like this don’t come along very often and I’m really excited to make the move into coaching.

“I feel the time is right and whilst I know I’m going to miss refereeing, there are no regrets, just a genuine sense of anticipation at what lies ahead.

“My achievements within the game have been extremely satisfying and would not have been possible without the support of a great number of people, including Greg McCallum,Geoff Berry, Tony Brown, Gerry Kershaw and David Campbell  and more recently Stuart Cummings all of who had a big influence on my career.

“I would like to thank all my close friends and family, especially my wife Julie and my children Peter, Josh and Daniel, for all their love and support. I would also like to pay tribute to the help I’ve had from the other referees and touch-judges: I can’t wait to work alongside them in my new role.

“I am also looking forward to lending my experience to the rich crop of young referees we have coming through.”

Steve Ganson made his senior debut as a referee with a match between Barrow and Carlisle on August 27, 1995. He refereed his first Super League match the following August, Castleford Tigers v Paris St Germain and has retired as the sport’s most experienced official at club and international level.

In another move, Jon Sharp has been promoted from his current role as Match Officials Coaching and Technical Director to Head of the Match Officials Department.

RFL Director of Standards and Licensing Blake Solly said the restructuring of the Match Officials Department and the new roles for Sharp and Ganson would allow the match officials to build on the significant progress seen in recent years.

“We have put in place a structure which is designed to bring about sustained improvements across the board, from individual performances through to recruitment and development,” said Solly.

“On behalf of everyone in the game I would like to thank Steve for the significant contribution he made during his 23-year career as a referee: Steve has officiated at the highest level and I can think of no-one better equipped to succeed in his new role than him.

“Jon Sharp’s experience as a player and coach has already brought a fresh perspective to the Match Officials Department and his appointment as department head will ensure the progress we have seen in recent years continue.”

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#7 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,759 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:49 PM

Nearly right, Griff re: Cummings successor in Feb...

You may not be that keen when I tell you who it is. :lol:

Steve Ganson. :O

Edited by hindle xiii, 12 April 2013 - 03:50 PM.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#8 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,651 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:49 PM

I'm glad it's Ganson although I've been critical of his personal refereeing style in the past. I never liked Cummings in the role but Ganson's philosophy is to promote a quick game rather than a pedantic blowathon and hopefully that comes through to the other referees.

If I was one of the teams employing a slow ruck speed, I'd be pretty worried at the appointment.

#9 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,077 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 05:19 PM

Don't forget you read it here first: http://www.totalrl.c...down/?p=2645681

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#10 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 8,546 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 05:27 PM

Who will replace him on the SL list?

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#11 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,381 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:48 PM

Good luck to him.

#12 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,645 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:57 PM

I have always enjoyed Ganson as a ref, unpredictable, funny and certainly decisive.

Good luck to him in his new role.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending to be hurt, rugby players spend 80 minutes pretending they haven't been hurt.

#13 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:01 PM

Shame to see him leave the field but onwards and upwards.....good luck fella!

#14 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,119 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:06 PM

I never realised he sounded so much like George Formby.

hullthursday_zpsa8836b84.jpg

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#15 Roy Boy

Roy Boy
  • Coach
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:14 PM

If he can improve Hicks, Roby et al, then it can only be a good move all round!

Good luck to him :-)
Money can't buy you happiness!
It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!
Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."
Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!
My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

#16 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,265 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:54 AM

Mick Ganson has had no option but  to retire from reffing

I reckon that coaching some basic common sense and judgement into Tim Roby is going to be a full time job.

Edited by Wolford6, 15 April 2013 - 08:55 AM.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users