Get the League Express Yearbook 2013/14, The Forbidden Game, All Blacks to All Golds and many more great Rugby League books at knock down prices in our Easter Sale on now at www.totalrl.com/shop but hurry, all offers end Sunday 27th April.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

11 a side RL

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 Rugby League Wiki

Rugby League Wiki
  • Players
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:20 PM

Some people seem fascinated with making RL more and more physically demanding to play (perhaps to be different to RU). This is not the right approach for mass appeal.

I agree with both of these points.

I want to see the footballing side of play protected and encouraged. If matches are only won by the fittest, the game would be less interesting to watch. When making changes, we need remember every part and level of the game - not just the professional game.

I appreciate, though, that you're looking for a way to help struggling junior teams, Ehbandit. I think the 9-a-side option would be useful, as the smaller sides would help teams that struggle for numbers a bit and those teams that struggle for numbers A LOT. Additionally, as an established variant, we could have uniformity in our approach across the country to any numbers issues and establish a 'safety net' of scheduled 9s events that these teams can participate in regularly.

#22 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 587 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:02 AM

I agree with both of these points.

I want to see the footballing side of play protected and encouraged. If matches are only won by the fittest, the game would be less interesting to watch. When making changes, we need remember every part and level of the game - not just the professional game.

I appreciate, though, that you're looking for a way to help struggling junior teams, Ehbandit. I think the 9-a-side option would be useful, as the smaller sides would help teams that struggle for numbers a bit and those teams that struggle for numbers A LOT. Additionally, as an established variant, we could have uniformity in our approach across the country to any numbers issues and establish a 'safety net' of scheduled 9s events that these teams can participate in regularly.

I get what your saying about the nine aside, never thought of that angle.

#23 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:35 PM

9s would be ok, however I think the playing time would have to be drastically reduced. with 11s the game duration could stay the same.

Just to be clear, a 9s match is normally only 15 minutes long so you could play double headers or even triple headers instead. Three 15 minutes matches is 45 minutes of play compared to the 50 minutes you get with 25 minute halves.

You could structure competitions counting each game separately, using aggregate scores, or play as best of three.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users