Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Sheffield V Raiders

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 livo

livo
  • Coach
  • 888 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:20 AM

First half we were great. Defended so many sets. Couple of dodgy decisions by the ref in the first half. But we played to the whistle. Can't understand why they kicked after the scrum but lucky us.

Second half totally different. Again, game of 2 halves. Don't know if I had 2 much to drink but I would like to see the video. Got that bad, one of our lads had a word with the ref after the game and said his peace. So many bad decisions. What are linesmen for.

Thought Toally and Dawson had a great game.

After the game we all went to the bar downstairs, only to be told the bar wasn't ready for us. God bless the Raiders Bar

FACEBOOK PAGE: Barrow raiders Bar. Follow for promotions and up to date events.

#22 D11

D11
  • Coach
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:40 AM

We can blame the officials or look for other excuses as much as we want but the reality is that we are just not consistanly good enough on the pitch for this league. Everyone knows the pressure was on last year to get out of what was called the league of death and Darren and Phill came up with the goods by putting a competative team together.

Reality is if we manage to keep above relegation then there remains the floodlight money to be found to stay in Chapionship and even more fundraising to put a competative team on the pitch for 2014. Work has started on fundraising but im inclined to think that will be needed to finish this season off.

Dropping back to Championship 1 and retaining the local side whilst working on clearing financial positions and funding for the future may be the only way that Barrow Raiders ever get back to being competative with all teams in Championship.

"we all make mistakes that's why they put rubbers on pencils"

#23 Baaarrow

Baaarrow
  • Coach
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:53 AM

Dropping back to Championship 1 and retaining the local side whilst working on clearing financial positions and funding for the future may be the only way that Barrow Raiders ever get back to being competative with all teams in Championship.

Dropping into the league of death would be disasterous for the club.

I have been following them for 34 years but I would not go and watch games against the likes of Gloucester Gerbils and Hemel Hamsters !!!!!

Posted Image

#24 HP Beans

HP Beans
  • Coach
  • 313 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:25 AM

First half we were great. Defended so many sets. Couple of dodgy decisions by the ref in the first half. But we played to the whistle. Can't understand why they kicked after the scrum but lucky us.
Second half totally different. Again, game of 2 halves. Don't know if I had 2 much to drink but I would like to see the video. Got that bad, one of our lads had a word with the ref after the game and said his peace. So many bad decisions. What are linesmen for.
Thought Toally and Dawson had a great game.
After the game we all went to the bar downstairs, only to be told the bar wasn't ready for us. God bless the Raiders Bar

Linesmen are for running the line at Football matches,we have touch judges in Rugby League!:-)

#25 HP Beans

HP Beans
  • Coach
  • 313 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:26 AM

I have been following them for 34 years but I would not go and watch games against the likes of Gloucester Gerbils and Hemel Hamsters !!!!!

Maybe you are not the supporter that you thought you were then?

#26 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:07 AM

Why not?

#27 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,226 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:43 AM

We can blame the officials or look for other excuses as much as we want but the reality is that we are just not consistanly good enough on the pitch for this league. Everyone knows the pressure was on last year to get out of what was called the league of death and Darren and Phill came up with the goods by putting a competative team together.
Reality is if we manage to keep above relegation then there remains the floodlight money to be found to stay in Chapionship and even more fundraising to put a competative team on the pitch for 2014. Work has started on fundraising but im inclined to think that will be needed to finish this season off.

This season isn't over. There are 9 teams who could easily go down. We got beat by the best team in the league on their own patch, not the end of the world. If we are within 3 points of staying up with 3 games to go I'm more than confident we'll survive.

We arnt doomed by any means yet.

#28 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:54 AM

Maybe you are not the supporter that you thought you were then?

right or wrong Baaarow has a valid point and im sure there are many others with that same viewpoint mate. Times is tough

IF we get relegated I hope the BOD have put in a business plan which takes into account average home crowds of around 500 because thats all that will pay to watch the likes of Hemel or Oxford. Dont expect the paying public to turn out for what is a poor league. Look at this years gates so far.....way down on what I expected and no doubt the BOD as well !!!!

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#29 Baaarrow

Baaarrow
  • Coach
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:16 PM

Why not?

Because I'd be paying £15 to watch what would be amateur standard rugby.

However, as stated later on on this thread, we are not doomed yet. There is a long long way to go....15 game to be exact, starting with Warrington reserves (aka Swinton) at home in two weeks time !!!!!!

Posted Image

#30 Michael Ashton

Michael Ashton
  • Coach
  • 5,574 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:07 PM

Expansion???? The gate was 105 at Gloucestershire All Golds. What was the gate at the last Dalton or BI match for instance.

Posted Image

#31 Baaarrow

Baaarrow
  • Coach
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:41 PM

Expansion???? The gate was 105 at Gloucestershire All Golds. What was the gate at the last Dalton or BI match for instance.

I really cannot see the league continuing for long in this format i.e. two comps below super league, when there are clubs playing infront of 100 fans. I think that within 5 years there will just be one Championship competition.

Posted Image

#32 lifer

lifer
  • Coach
  • 287 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:52 PM

You probably get more than 105 at mini rugby on a sunday morning...

#33 D11

D11
  • Coach
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:11 PM

This season isn't over. There are 9 teams who could easily go down. We got beat by the best team in the league on their own patch, not the end of the world. If we are within 3 points of staying up with 3 games to go I'm more than confident we'll survive.

We arnt doomed by any means yet.

Maybe your missing my point, lets say we are lucky and stay up, whats the plan for next year ? another fight to stay out of relegation. Barrow needs to ship players in to compete at top level in Championship and that meens additional costs for traveling and players that cannot be afforded by the club as yet.  The plan in 2011 was to get barrow back on a stable financial footing and that was a 3 year plan. Only the faithfull will pay £15 week after week to watch a team struggling for survival.

"we all make mistakes that's why they put rubbers on pencils"

#34 Michael Ashton

Michael Ashton
  • Coach
  • 5,574 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:47 PM

Valid point Neil but seeing the gates in the 'expansion' clubs so far this season do you think they will still be around in 2014.

Posted Image

#35 Dave W

Dave W
  • Coach
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:50 PM

Not many teams will be going to any of the top 5 and avoid a thumping.

Our business is in that mini league of 6-7 teams trying to avoid finishing in the bottom two.

#36 Baaarrow

Baaarrow
  • Coach
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:55 PM

Valid point Neil but seeing the gates in the 'expansion' clubs so far this season do you think they will still be around in 2014.

No!!

Posted Image

#37 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,226 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:05 PM

Maybe your missing my point, lets say we are lucky and stay up, whats the plan for next year ? another fight to stay out of relegation. Barrow needs to ship players in to compete at top level in Championship and that meens additional costs for traveling and players that cannot be afforded by the club as yet. The plan in 2011 was to get barrow back on a stable financial footing and that was a 3 year plan. Only the faithfull will pay £15 week after week to watch a team struggling for survival.

We need to build on our squad year on year like Featherstone did. We have a young team with alot of potential, let's build on it.

Fair enough spending lots of money on a first team to get the fans in. Maybe we should spend a fortune, get 3k against fax on a Thursday, put 70 past Leigh and win the league? Then what happened.

We just need to graft things out at the bottom and build a team. There is 9 sides who can go down and it could be easily any of them and we just need to make sure it ain't us, I believe the squad is good enough to do so.

Featherstone are the role model for our club. It may take three seasons to build up a good team sustainably but so be it, there isn't any other way. Building up a quality squad which we can afford is the way forward to being sustainable, fair enough the part time fans won't like it but that's how it's gonna be.

If we keep the same core of players that will be a big advantage against the A team's as they will constantly be swapping and changing players and not build any chemistry. Mass changes arnt going to be needed to survive in this league in the seasons ahead, it's just this season which is critical but was always going to be toughest.

#38 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:23 PM

We need to build on our squad year on year like Featherstone did.agreed We have a young team with alot of potential, let's build on it. partly agreed + we need to hold onto  the likes of Kurt Haggerty and hope Bull wants to carry on next year ???

Fair enough spending lots of money on a first team to get the fans in. Maybe we should spend a fortune, get 3k against fax on a Thursday, put 70 past Leigh and win the league? Then what happened. we don't want that to happen again

We just need to graft things out at the bottom and build a team. There is 9 sides who can go down and it could be easily any of them and we just need to make sure it ain't us, I believe the squad is good enough to do so. I disagree with this we are 3 or 4 players short in key positions

Featherstone are the role model for our club. It may take three seasons to build up a good team sustainably but so be it, there isn't any other way. Building up a quality squad which we can afford is the way forward to being sustainable, fair enough the part time fans won't like it but that's how it's gonna be. agreed

If we keep the same core of players that will be a big advantage against the A team's as they will constantly be swapping and changing players and not build any chemistry. Mass changes arnt going to be needed to survive in this league in the seasons ahead, it's just this season which is critical but was always going to be toughest. agreed...... with the key additions sooner rather than later even if we have to fund it out of a supporters sponsorship of a player style of setup maybe ?

Answered in red mate

Edited by morty, 15 April 2013 - 07:27 PM.

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#39 livo

livo
  • Coach
  • 888 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:28 PM

I agree with what you are saying, the tortoise wins the race as they say.

Whats annoying me and many others I suppose, is whats happening at half time. Nearly every game this season we play different in the second half. Theres no consistency. Its needs sorting or we will be playing CC1 next year.

We need to build on our squad year on year like Featherstone did. We have a young team with alot of potential, let's build on it.

Fair enough spending lots of money on a first team to get the fans in. Maybe we should spend a fortune, get 3k against fax on a Thursday, put 70 past Leigh and win the league? Then what happened.

We just need to graft things out at the bottom and build a team. There is 9 sides who can go down and it could be easily any of them and we just need to make sure it ain't us, I believe the squad is good enough to do so.

Featherstone are the role model for our club. It may take three seasons to build up a good team sustainably but so be it, there isn't any other way. Building up a quality squad which we can afford is the way forward to being sustainable, fair enough the part time fans won't like it but that's how it's gonna be.

If we keep the same core of players that will be a big advantage against the A team's as they will constantly be swapping and changing players and not build any chemistry. Mass changes arnt going to be needed to survive in this league in the seasons ahead, it's just this season which is critical but was always going to be toughest.

FACEBOOK PAGE: Barrow raiders Bar. Follow for promotions and up to date events.

#40 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,226 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:12 PM

I'll try answer the above posts in one but I agree morty Haggerty and Bull are crucial, they are our best two players. Haggerty idk what his intentions are but I'd imagine SL will be his aim. Bull won't move to another club I wouldn't imagine but it's the same thing every year he makes his mind up very late. But they are who we should be building our pack around.

Second point obviously no one does. Third point we agree on.

To survive I just think we need a tad for experience and then a half back who can build pressure and tire teams out. Jamie Rooney did it against us to perfection, the four sets we defended on our line consecutively cost us the game. All down to completing sets and getting a goal line drop out at the end of it, it wins you games and I don't think we have someone capable doing it at Championship level. Fev have Finn, Batley had Handforth who I think is at Fax now all the best sides have them and we need one. Although they are hard to find. Also a impact prop would be good. The sponsorship thing may be a great idea, didn't Doncaster do the same thing for Paul Cooke? It could be the difference between staying up and going down.

Livo I think this is due experience and lack of guidance. We have dominated teams for a 20 - 30 minute spell against every side I've watched this season (didn't go to Fev and Sheff due to money) but the point still stands I guess. We just need to capitalize on the spell which we dominate which will stop us running out of steam. Darren in his prime is the player we need at the minute and Chris Young, two of those type signings would see survive IMO.

But I don't think we are miles away from having a squad good enough to stay up, just abit of experience is needed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users