Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Sheffield V Raiders

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 D11

D11
  • Coach
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:18 AM

Last year was a total local side as was needed and which we could only afford. The financial aspect of last years buisness plan fell short by over £100k. This year that £100k is still required plus £100k for floodlights. I dont believe the club is going backwards but i do believe that the club will be stagnated with debt year in year out until the arears are cleared. Putting a team on the pitch to atract crowds is esential but the balance wont come from overspending on travelling players.

During a meeting with the RFL last year I produced a 3 year buisness plan along with the current debts of the club. It was clear from the RFL that Barrow is one of the best sustainable clubs in the Leauge but the arears will cripple it if they are not cleared. The flood lights could be paid ( or part paid ) from the Sport England inspired facilities grant. All we have to do is apply for it and with a bit of luck we will gain a boost in the coffers that we need. I have already stated too many times that we missed the boat last year by not applying. The next round HAS TO BE SUBMITED by 4pm on the 25th of this month. We cannot afford to again miss chances for hand outs.

"we all make mistakes that's why they put rubbers on pencils"

#42 Bearman

Bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,463 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:49 AM

Like Martin Luther King I had a dream. I dreamt of starting a rugby league club in Coventry that one day would play the best clubs in the country Wigan, St Helen's,Leeds and of course the best of them all Barrow.
Now I am within touching distance of achieving that as Coventry work towards acceptance into Championship 1 in 2014.
There is an old saying " be careful of what you wish for" my dream meant playing my boyhood heros in the top professional division not in the bottom.
So there is a danger that my dream could change into a nightmare.

I still think its unlikely that we will go down. Most of the games we have played have given me confidence that the squad is good enough to consolidate and cement a place in the Championsip.

IF we were to be relegated would it really be as bleak as people are painting on here?
Last year playing in C1 we had a winning team and our supporters turned out in good numbers amongst the teams we played were London Skolars, Gateshead, South Wales. They will likely be there again next year along with one or two of the big clubs Oldham and Rochdale. So why should next year be any different to last year?
I went to most of the away games last year ( Whitehaven being the only one I missed) we took at least 40 or 50 people to even the most distant of those clubs. Yes, it's true that they didn't bring anywhere as near as many to CP but our gates were still pretty healthy.
We bemoan the fickle fans that don't support a losing team but both ourselves and the soccer know that the fans will turn out to see a winning team.

Will the other teams still be around? Part of the process of gaining admission to C1 is to present a business plan that shows how continuation will be achieved to sustain a professional club. There is of course some speculation on the forecasted attendances likely to be achieved. The RFL know that all clubs go through this process and look closely and demand some realism be applied. The Coventry business plan does not rely on inflated projections but on realistic achievable numbers and I suspect that the All Golds, Hemel and Oxford have also submitted similar forecasts.

There are other reasons to think that in the long run ( and remember we MUST take the long term view, we have tried quick fixes and surely we have learnt that they don't work) relegation would give us time for our young team to gel and gain experience and we would have longer to raise the 100k towards the floodlights.
But to finish on a positive note I think that we will stay up and I will have to wait for Coventry to get promoted before that dream comes true!!!
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#43 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:38 AM

i admire your optimism Ron and good luck with the Bears gaining admission to C1 in 2014

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#44 Michael Ashton

Michael Ashton
  • Coach
  • 5,572 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:23 AM

Good post Ron and nothing I would like to see is RL being our national sport but do you really think there is any real appetite for the best game in the world outside the heartlands. Even the BBC are only showing 1 game from CC rounds 4 & 5.

Posted Image

#45 Bearman

Bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,463 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:10 PM

Good post Ron and nothing I would like to see is RL being our national sport but do you really think there is any real appetite for the best game in the world outside the heartlands. Even the BBC are only showing 1 game from CC rounds 4 & 5.

Yes, I do think that there is a growing appetite for the game outside of the traditional heartlands DESPITE the BBC only showing one game.
There are now 4 stand alone amateur sides in Coventry.
As I go around I still hear " oh rugby league, what's the difference to rugby union" but increasingly sports fans are saying "I'd rather watch rugby league it's more exciting than union"
The new clubs will grow. Take Hemel as an example, there are over 1.2 million people living in the county with only Watford soccer being the only significant professional sports team. To the people of Hemel a game against Oxford or Gloucester in a national league would mean a lot more than a game against Hunslet ("where's that? Oh it's a suburb of Leeds") Hemel have built from the bottom up and RL is seen as the major sport in the town.

It's not going to be easy, there are too many distractions competing with all sports these days. But, the only way to grow the sport is to find a new audience.
One of the concerns must be the age of the current batch of supporters, I wonder how many Barrow fans are over 60?
One only has to look at the state of our working men's clubs to see that what our parents thought of as a good night won't do for our kids.
Standing still isn't an option. Some of the big names below Superleague are getting by on crowds in the low hundreds and a lot of their punters are getting on in age. That isn't sustainable.
I read over and over again that the RFL shouldn't waste money on expansion as its never worked ( London, Paris, Kent, and nearer to the M62 Liverpool, Chorley, Blackpool)
So what should the RFL do? They could give a handout to the more traditional clubs of course, but what are those clubs doing to help themselves?
Where is the innovation? Oldham for example, they have gone from Superleague to Whitebank. They are getting poor crowds but what are they doing to try and change things? I might be being unfair to them but I certainly havent noticed them thinking outside of the box.
Clever marketing works (true it can alienate the existing customer) but as it stands there are not enough existing customers. Bradford and Keighley both increased their crowds with a bit of razzmatazz but then they both ran out of steam and the crowds disappeared.
What's that saying about its lunacy to continue doing the same thing and expecting a different outcome.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#46 Eagleraider

Eagleraider
  • 3,607 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:33 AM

The posting appear to have gone of track of the title, but still v ery valid, but about the game................

My brief thoughts/report and stats.................. and nothing which Raiders should be ashamed of in their performance against a good Championship team.

Eagles: Laulu-Togagae; Finigan, Yere, Armstrong, Taulapapa; Walker, Brambani; Roche, Henderson, Stringer, Knowles, Staugheir, Hirst. Subs: Davey, Esposito, Garside, Green.

Tries: Yere, 20, 42, Hirst 25, Walker,55, Stringer 53, 62, Brambani 73, Laulu-Togagae 78. Goals: Brambani 6/8.

Raiders: Backhouse; McGilvray, Low, Wiper, Clay; Finch, Casey; Butler, Mossop, Dawson, Harrison, Kurt Haggerty, Toal. Subs: Nicholson, Whitehead, Brennan, Mattew Haggarty.

Tries: Harrison 31, Haggerty 40, Wiper 58. Goals: Haggerty 3/3.

Referee: Jamie Leahy. Attendance: 1,177.

MATCH STATS

Penalties:Awarded to Sheffield:

14 min: Holding down; 23 min: shoulder charge; 37 min: off side; 38 min: ripping; 47 min: high late tackle; 53 min: kicked out on the full; 55 min: ripping; 61 min : use of elbow and ripping; 70 min holding down.

Penalties awarded to Barrow:

8 min: not square; 35 min:off-side; 50 min: high tackle; 57 mmin: ripping; 65 min: tipping player

Scoring sequence: 6-0; 12-0; 12-6; 12-12..HT: 16-12; 20-12; 26-12; 26-18; 32-18; 38-18; 44-18.

View from the Stand[NRB2013]

5 min Misi Taulapapa forced into touch inches from the try line. With two penalties and a substitution before the first try scored by Menzie Yere under the posts and Dominic Brambani converts easily. 26 mins Joe Hirst gets over the line and Dominic Brambani converts again. This passage of play was after a very pedestrian 20 odd mins where both sides made many silly/careless mistakes with Eagles being the ones throwing the advantage away on far too many occasions, b y dropping passes, poor decision making and general “schoolboy” errors. Sheffield could have scored at least 5 times before Menzie made the breakthrough. Raiders kept plugging away until the 31st minute when Liam Harrison broke the line for a well taken try. Kurt Hagggarty made a successful conversion. The following 9 minutes were similar to the first 20, and not particularly entertaining. Raiders were tackling well and their defence remained solid, and they made several forays towards the Eagles line. With 20 seconds left on the clock Eagles won the scrum and only had to use their 6 tackles or more simply, keep hold of the ball, yards from their try line, but Patch Walker tried a clearing kick on the second tackle, which was expertly charged down, and picked up by Kurt Haggarty with 5 seconds left and he fell over the try line to score a deserved try for the Raiders. He successfully converted his own try to bring the half time to a close at 12 points all. The second half started at a much better pace with the Eagles playing into the wind. Menzie took on the Raiders defence and powered through to score his 2nd try of the afternoon, 14th of the season, which was unusually missed by Dominic Brambani from close to the posts. Personally I believe a miscalculation of the strength of the wind was the reason as the ball failed to even reach the posts. 10 mins later, after some deft handling, Patch Walker broke through a scored Eagles 4th try on 51 mins. I mistakenly said “I can't see Dom missing this!” He managed to hit the near upright from in front of the posts. Sheffield had stepped up a gear or two and the power of Mitch Stringer took him over the whitewash to claim the first of his tries, on 53 mins., which brought up 300 points scored for the Eagles in his career. This time Brambani made no mistake in converting. Sheffield were now finding their rhythm, with much improved ball control but Raiders were thinking differently and Wiper scored the Raiders third and final try. Again Haggarty stepped up and cooly slotted over his third conversion. This appeared to give the Eagles the kick they needed and Mitch went on a power run to score his 2nd of the day. Once again Brambani slotted over the necessary conversion.. Raiders dug in and stopped Sheffield scoring on every move. Some heavy tackles went in and eventually the ball was passed out to Brambani who scored a try of his own . He successfully made the score up to 6 and Eagles had a 20 point gap. To end the half, with less than 2 mins left QLT added to his season's tally of 8 and had now scored 64 tries in 64 matches. Brambani finished the afternoon off with another fine goal. Seconds were left on the clock, so Sheffield stuck to the game plan, did nothing silly and held onto the ball until the final whistle went.

Replacements: Eagles

Time

On

Off

Green

Roche

Davey

Henderson

Esposito

Stringer

Garside

Hirst