TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Gareth widdop

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 gnidir

gnidir
  • Coach
  • 309 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:52 AM

Why is this guy so out of favour for England? Melbourne has the big three, but on the back if them, Hoffman and widdop are running the show. Do we think he should be our World Cup 6? If not , then who?

#2 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:09 AM

Because McNamara doesn't know his arris from his elbow!

Because Sinfield is a media babe

Because Sinfields 30+ abject international performances never really happened

#3 Tex Evans Thigh

Tex Evans Thigh
  • Coach
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:36 AM

Even if hes hell bent on Sinfield playing he should be in in front of Chase. looked outstanding against the Rabbitohs just now.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

Posted Image
MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "
Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

#4 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,747 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:41 AM

is it because he is Oz based so not selected until end of the season.

#5 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:39 PM

Why is this guy so out of favour for England? Melbourne has the big three, but on the back if them, Hoffman and widdop are running the show. Do we think he should be our World Cup 6? If not , then who?

Because Steve McNamara is out of his depth coaching at international level.

#6 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:00 PM

Serious question,would Widdop look so good if he didn't have Cronk,Smith and Slater around him.I don't watch the NRL so would like to know?

Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#7 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,178 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:22 PM

Serious question,would Widdop look so good if he didn't have Cronk,Smith and Slater around him.I don't watch the NRL so would like to know?

I think so there's even an argument to say that without one or two of them he'd look even better. As he can get a bit pushed out as you would with those three wanting the ball. What I would say is last year was probably a bit early for him to be the England stand off. This year he seems to of kicked on again and for me is ready now. He's got good hands great feet can pick a pass. Still needs to work on his defense but plenty of England players do. Was noticeable in commentary they were talking about the big 3 when it was mentioned Craig Bellamy had pulled someone up in a press conference saying they should talk about the big 4.

#8 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:26 PM

The point I will forever make is that watch the three games last season when the 'big 3' we're on origin duty. In 2 of the games he was the best player on the pitch by some distance. I watched the games to form a better opinion on Widdop, he's in the top 5 stand offs in the world. If he doesn't get picked then it's an absolute travesty which will be down to shocking coaching. Widdop is solid in every department the only thing any England halve is better than him is kicking which Sinfield and Brough surpass him in and possibly organisation but Widdop isn't shabby in either kicking or organisation.

He has to start at 6 for England and it's upto Sinfield and Brough to fight for the 7 shirt.

#9 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:28 PM

I think so there's even an argument to say that without one or two of them he'd look even better. As he can get a bit pushed out as you would with those three wanting the ball. What I would say is last year was probably a bit early for him to be the England stand off. This year he seems to of kicked on again and for me is ready now. He's got good hands great feet can pick a pass. Still needs to work on his defense but plenty of England players do. Was noticeable in commentary they were talking about the big 3 when it was mentioned Craig Bellamy had pulled someone up in a press conference saying they should talk about the big 4.

The point I will forever make is that watch the three games last season when the 'big 3' we're on origin duty. In 2 of the games he was the best player on the pitch by some distance. I watched the games to form a better opinion on Widdop, he's in the top 5 stand offs in the world. If he doesn't get picked then it's an absolute travesty which will be down to shocking coaching. Widdop is solid in every department the only thing any England halve is better than him is kicking which Sinfield and Brough surpass him in and possibly organisation but Widdop isn't shabby in either kicking or organisation.

He has to start at 6 for England and it's upto Sinfield and Brough to fight for the 7 shirt.

Thank you.

Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#10 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:30 PM

Without a doubt he should be in the so called big 4 now!

His performance in this mornings top of the table clash should arguably  have won him the man of the match. Thats in a high intensity game of superb quality with the likes of Slater, Inglis, Cronk, S Burgess, Smith and Reynolds on the field.

We are in danger of squandering the best opportunity  of beating Australia in a tournament for the last 40+ years by not picking the best players available to us. in years gone by we've moaned about not having the players but now its increasingly likely that it'll be the Coach thats our Achilles heel.

#11 Fax1978

Fax1978
  • Coach
  • 577 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:03 PM

My fear for widdop come WC will be big mac will not use him vs Aussie, will play him in a weaker team vs lreland where he will look ordinary and then feel vindicated that he is using the right pairing of sinfield / chase.

Widdop is excellent he has won the grand final and world club challenge I watched him in every game he played last season and so far this and while he is far from the finished article he is definately part of the big 4.

Last season he did get pushed out a bit by cronk but this season he is calling more of the shots specifically anything that goes down the left and he is helping Hoffman look even better.

#12 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,385 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:04 AM

He has to start for England! Simples!
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#13 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:17 AM

Without a doubt he should be in the so called big 4 now!

His performance in this mornings top of the table clash should arguably  have won him the man of the match. Thats in a high intensity game of superb quality with the likes of Slater, Inglis, Cronk, S Burgess, Smith and Reynolds on the field.

We are in danger of squandering the best opportunity  of beating Australia in a tournament for the last 40+ years by not picking the best players available to us. in years gone by we've moaned about not having the players but now its increasingly likely that it'll be the Coach thats our Achilles heel.

Not really big 4 though, fine player that he is, its not like the "Big Three" that have been there done that for many years at the highest level and are considered the best in their respective positions in the World.
Gareth's time will come, maybe at the World Cup.

Edited by AndyCapp, 14 April 2013 - 08:18 AM.

#14 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:35 AM

just watched it and if he isn't picked at stand off mcnamara must be blind or an idiot, also george burgess is an absolute must the aussies are dreading him playing in the (Great Britain!) :unsure: england side.

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#15 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:16 PM

Why Terry do you carry on repeating this question?

Emphatically YES.
I do think that if you were to pull the blue and yellow shades from your eyes and strive to watch the NRL sometime, you may just discover that there could be not one, but quite a lot of better stand offs around than Kevin, indeed, players who can control games almost as well as Sinfield! Tongue in cheek with that last bit? You betch'ya.

Seriously though you should take a peek at Widdops performance V the Rabbitoh's yesterday and for that matter too, quite a lot of his performances in the NRL. He was in my opinion yesterday the MoM, although I do not expect it to be so or know who did receive that award, but Widdop had an absolute blinder when really the triumvirate you keep hinting to as carrying Widdop, were really kept quiet to a degree. Widdop when he had to, quite easily upped his own game tremendously.

No matter what allegiencies are held there is little doubt that Gareth Widdop at S/O is definitely Englands best choice and that would be echoed by a sensible coach at this stage of the proceedings now also.

PS; George Burgess also has to shoed into the England set-up poste haste also as well.

#16 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:30 PM

Why Terry do you carry on repeating this question?

Probably cos the same threads keep coming up everytime Widdop or G Burgess play a good game.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#17 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:54 PM

Not really big 4 though, fine player that he is, its not like the "Big Three" that have been there done that for many years at the highest level and are considered the best in their respective positions in the World.
Gareth's time will come, maybe at the World Cup.

Don't take my word for it, Craig Bellamy said it was now a big 4 in the build up to yesterdays game, he also said it last year after Melbourne had beaten Souths in the Finals.

Melbourne's much-vaunted 'big three' could easily turn into a fantastic four for the remainder of the finals after the eye-catching efforts of five-eighth Gareth Widdop against Souths on Saturday night.

Coach Craig Bellamy singled out Widdop for praise after the Englishman had 16 tackles, three line breaks and two try assists as Melbourne exposed the Rabbitohs'

#18 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:01 PM

Don't take my word for it, Craig Bellamy said it was now a big 4 in the build up to yesterdays game, he also said it last year after Melbourne had beaten Souths in the Finals.

I know he did, he is bigging up his player nothing wrong with that, good Coaches do that.
Will Hoffman become the big 5? If Inglis was still there they would then have the big 6.

My team Parramatta has the not so big 1.

#19 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:13 PM

I know he did, he is bigging up his player nothing wrong with that, good Coaches do that.
Will Hoffman become the big 5? If Inglis was still there they would then have the big 6.

My team Parramatta has the not so big 1.

You miss the point, its not about the number its the fact that the number 1 coach in the world rates him as one of his best players, so much so that he interupts a journalists question to big up Widdop. Note that of all the Melbourne players he could have picked he picked Widdop, not Hoffman or Hinchliffe but Widdop.

#20 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:01 AM

You miss the point, its not about the number its the fact that the number 1 coach in the world rates him as one of his best players, so much so that he interupts a journalists question to big up Widdop. Note that of all the Melbourne players he could have picked he picked Widdop, not Hoffman or Hinchliffe but Widdop.

But Omega when the big three are referred to its not in context to what they have done for the Storm alone.

They are the "Big Three" because they are the Queensland SOO and Australian Kangaroos key players in the Spine of those teams.

That is where they earned the title Big three, they are the Big Three Rep players that the Storm also are fortunate to have in their team.
IF Bellamy wants to include Widdop and call them his big four that's fine, I don't think it will catch on with most NRL fans at this stage though.

Edited by AndyCapp, 15 April 2013 - 07:02 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users