Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Gareth widdop

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:49 AM

So for Queensland was Lockyer outside the big three, were Thaiday and Thurston, I don't think the 'Big Three' is anything to do with Queensland its a reference to the long term and quality spine of Melbournes team which Bellamy now beleives should include Widdop making it a 'Big Four'.

The question was Melbourne related, it was directed at the Melbourne Coach. I don't agree with your interpretation of what the 'Big Three' refers to.

The point remains that Widdop is without a doubt the highest quality stand off available to England and there should'nt be more than 5 seconds of debate about whether he will start for England in the World Cup.

#22 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,871 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:03 PM

So for Queensland was Lockyer outside the big three, were Thaiday and Thurston, I don't think the 'Big Three' is anything to do with Queensland its a reference to the long term and quality spine of Melbournes team which Bellamy now beleives should include Widdop making it a 'Big Four'.

The question was Melbourne related, it was directed at the Melbourne Coach. I don't agree with your interpretation of what the 'Big Three' refers to.

The point remains that Widdop is without a doubt the highest quality stand off available to England and there should'nt be more than 5 seconds of debate about whether he will start for England in the World Cup.

I agree with what you say about Widdop being picked for England.
I don't know what Bellamy means about "big four" its sounds a bit simple really, its his call.

#23 CGD

CGD
  • Coach
  • 844 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:06 PM

I love watching the Storm. My best footy watching mate is a MASSIVE Storm fan, so I've watched Widdop closely since he debuted and have probably rated him longer than most English fans in this thread. I definitely think he's England's best option in the 6, but opinion of him has to be based in reality and facts otherwise things can go over the top, which is what I'm seeing here.

OMEGA, I'll give the benefit of my doubt for now, but that really doesn't sound like a Bellamy thing to say in public, and the quote you've so far provided about a Big Four isn't from Bellamy at all. Can you provide a quote from Bellamy himself?

The point I will forever make is that watch the three games last season when the 'big 3' we're on origin duty. In 2 of the games he was the best player on the pitch by some distance. I watched the games to form a better opinion on Widdop, he's in the top 5 stand offs in the world.

Which games?

Before Game I, Storm had a bye. Next game, the Big Three are back and they beat the Broncos 34-10

Before Game II, Storm lose to Wests 10-6. Next game, Slater is injured, Widdop moves to fullback but Smith and Cronk still play. They beat Manly 26-22.

Before Game III, Storm had a bye. Next game, Smith and Slater are rested, Cronk plays and Widdop plays at fullback again. They are smashed 40-12 by the Raiders.

Which games are you referring to? Or in other words, what are you on about? You're the one who formed the baseless opinion that Inglis' one on one defence was woeful as well. Do you really watch the NRL?

Look, I like Widdop, he's a good player and has impressed me on a number of occasions, but he's no where near the Big Three and is a way off the elite of the NRL. He's still quite young, unlike the Big Three, and will continue to improve, and has to if he's ever to play a dominant role in a Test for England.

#24 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,886 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:25 PM

I love watching the storm. My best footy watching mate is a MASSIVE Storm fan, so I've watched Widdop closely since he debuted and have probably rated him longer than most English fans in this thread. I definitely think he's England's best option in the 6, but opinion of him has to be based in reality and facts otherwise things can go over the top, which is what I'm seeing here.

OMEGA, I'll give the benefit of my doubt for now, but that really doesn't sound like a Bellamy thing to say in public, and the quote you've so far provided about a Big Four isn't from Bellamy at all. Can you provide a quote from Bellamy himself?

Which games?

Before Game I, Storm had a bye. Next game, the Big Three are back and they beat the Broncos 34-10

Before Game II, Storm lose to Wests 10-6. Next game, Slater is injured, Widdop moves to fullback but Smith and Cronk still play. They beat Manly 26-22.

Before Game III, Storm had a bye. Next game, Smith and Slater are rested, Cronk plays and Widdop plays at fullback again. They are smashed 40-12 by the Raiders.

Which games are you referring to? Or in other words, what are you on about? You're the one who formed the baseless opinion that Inglis' one on one defence was woeful as well. Do you really watch the NRL?

Look, I like Widdop, he's a good player and has impressed me on a number of occasions, but he's no where near the Big Three and is a way off the elite of the NRL. He's still quite young, unlike the Big Three, and will continue to improve, and has to if he's ever to play a dominant role in a Test for England.

May of been the season before I can't pin point exact games but I've watched Widdop twice without the 'big 3 and he's been quality.

Then I've never said Widdop is near the big 3. In fact ive stated that them 3 and Thurston are the difference why Australia are ahead of England and NZ by some distance.

Well Inglis missed a crucial tackle for Melbourne's first try on Saturday for a start. I don't have time to research a ton of clips. If you want to see one just type in the highlights from Saturday. He's not sound defensively, in the same way Slater isn't sound under the high ball. I guess because they're super Aussies their flaws don't exist.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users