Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Brian Noble is the new coach of Salford Reds

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 01:36 PM

Just been announced by Marwan Koukash

#2 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 01:41 PM

Announced in the club bar before the game, also states 10-15 players signed or set to be signed. 

Good news for Salford, his track record speaks for itself.

#3 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,877 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 02:06 PM

Good news for Salford.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#4 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,062 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 02:47 PM

Announced in the club bar before the game, also states 10-15 players signed or set to be signed.
Good news for Salford, his track record speaks for itself.

10-15 players ? For this year or next.

#5 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 02:52 PM

Next year. Koukash intends to notify the fans of each signing in the bar before he speaks to the media.

"I want you to hear the news from me, not the media."

#6 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,062 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 03:01 PM

Next year. Koukash intends to notify the fans of each signing in the bar before he speaks to the media.

Isn't there a deadline for signing players for next year. Can't see them all being free agents. Unless he's paid a fee for them all.

#7 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 03:43 PM

Isn't there a deadline for signing players for next year. Can't see them all being free agents. Unless he's paid a fee for them all.

You've got it twisted. You can't talk to outbid contract players until AFTER the deadline.

We'll be ok

#8 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,101 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 03:44 PM

i think as long as you get permission from the player's club you can speak to a player and sort a deal.

#9 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,062 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 03:52 PM

You've got it twisted. You can't talk to outbid contract players until AFTER the deadline.

We'll be ok

That's what I'm saying all 15 can't be free agents. Unless as I also said they've had bids accepted. Exciting times for Salford. Do you think announcing signings will start to create a buzz around the club.

#10 TheDuke

TheDuke
  • Coach
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 05:21 PM

Good news for Salford

#11 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,101 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 05:23 PM

Noticed that head of youth at Warrington John Bastian is leaving at the end of the year. Not seen much about it, wonder if this will be a move to Salford on the cards.

He was a great signing for us, sure he'd also do a great jo at the Reds.

#12 41hound

41hound
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:54 PM

I am very happy with this. Firstly though a huge well done and thanks to Alan Hunte & Sean Long for doing a great job after Phil V was fired. 3 points seems a small return but with a team of mainly under 20's and loan players in key positions - it is a respectable return to be honest. I think that the forced chance to blood very talented youngsters like Owen, Ford, Fages, Evalds and Sneyd will pay off big time in a couple of years when we can use players from our own academy in the squad, who are young and have experience - and for once we wont have to sell them to highest bidder.

Secondly I am still in shock that just 4 months after it looked like the end of my club - we now have a top coach and an exciting future. Lots of new players coming next year according to club website. A nice touch is that Dr K id to announce all the new signings etc to the fans in the supporters Bar first! We may be rock bottom attendance wise, but at least our owner is showing the die hards this respect and we will recover as things improve. We were getting 5500 average last year, so the people are there.

#13 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,200 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:21 PM

Good choice, not expecting top 8 this season but I think with a couple of signings that will be the aim for next season.

#14 Segovia Carpet

Segovia Carpet
  • Coach
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:25 PM

Noticed that head of youth at Warrington John Bastian is leaving at the end of the year. Not seen much about it, wonder if this will be a move to Salford on the cards.

He was a great signing for us, sure he'd also do a great jo at the Reds.

Alan Hunte will be head of youth Dave. He has done a great job so far. Today NO Australians in the squad purely English except Theo Fages. Many of last years Under 20s in the side - Evalds, Sneyd, Fages, Owen. Walne, Neal - a great way to showcase what he has done so far.

#15 Cumbrian Fanatic

Cumbrian Fanatic
  • Coach
  • 608 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:22 PM

I like his style

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

#16 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,559 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:41 PM

Good news for Salford.  I do think Noble is the right bloke to get the team up and firing.  Long term development is a different matter but to kick start everything off, Nobby's the bloke.  I do hope Hunte continues his role as youth coach as he clearly has talent because he has made a definite difference to the performance of the side, most notably in defence but also in overall attitude.  It has been good to watch some young English (and french!) talent in action too, on the rare occasions I have seen Salford play, and hopefully the best of them/most ready of them will get a chance to play next year and build on their experiences of this season.  I suppose from now on in, assuming Nobby is taking the reigns with immediate effect, there will be a lot of players trying to play themselves into the new look Salford first team for 2014!

I do very much like the sound of Koukash and his approach to the fans.  I hope that personal touch pays dividends in terms of more fans attending (although obviously some more wins would help matters in that respect also).

#17 sgt pepper

sgt pepper
  • Coach
  • 694 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:39 PM

Good news all round. Rugby league needs clubs like salford to mix it up with the usual contenders. Rugby league also needs the Brian nobles back doing what they do best. Exiting times ahead

#18 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,101 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:30 AM

Alan Hunte will be head of youth Dave. He has done a great job so far. Today NO Australians in the squad purely English except Theo Fages. Many of last years Under 20s in the side - Evalds, Sneyd, Fages, Owen. Walne, Neal - a great way to showcase what he has done so far.

fair enough. Like I said I haven't heard where Bastian is off to just that he is leaving at the end of the year so I thought there may be a link here.

#19 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,338 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:11 AM

I'm fascinated at the idea he's chasing 10-15 players.

We have 15 at Hunslet he can buy cheaply.

But if he's after players to enable Salford to compete he's going to have to take them off the big boys or he's going to have to pick off what quality players the lower end SL clubs still have, and Hull, Wigan, Leeds and Wire have already been there.

How will Nobby convince players Salford is the place to be rather than Wire, Wigan, Saints, Leeds etc?

Will the top chairmen in SL resist the approaches?

Will Koukash wave transfer fees of large sizes at these guys to sway them??

Will they crack for a wedge of money knowing if Koukash unpicks their team it will only lead to their own demise?

If salford succeed who will suffer?

Edited by The Parksider, 14 April 2013 - 08:14 AM.

#20 41hound

41hound
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:19 AM

I'm fascinated at the idea he's chasing 10-15 players.

We have 15 at Hunslet he can buy cheaply.

But if he's after players to enable Salford to compete he's going to have to take them off the big boys or he's going to have to pick off what quality players the lower end SL clubs still have, and Hull, Wigan, Leeds and Wire have already been there.

How will Nobby convince players Salford is the place to be rather than Wire, Wigan, Saints, Leeds etc?

Will the top chairmen in SL resist the approaches?

Will Koukash wave transfer fees of large sizes at these guys to sway them??

Will they crack for a wedge of money knowing if Koukash unpicks their team it will only lead to their own demise?

If salford succeed who will suffer?

Wow - that's a lots of questions for debate Parky! And all very valid too. In my opinion a lot of the groundwork will have been done to sign some players already. Noble just got back from Australia and I think we will have 2 big names announced (probably for 2014) by magic weekend - I don't think we will get much joy from the big clubs and the better OOC players wont want to sign until we start to look better on AND off the field. Great to be be able to be discussing players and not bancrupcy, admin etc with you!

Edited by 41hound, 14 April 2013 - 09:19 AM.