Brian Noble is the new coach of Salford Reds

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#21 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,859 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:24 AM

strong rumours around wigan that sean long will be leaving salford and coming to wigan, something to do with not being able to work with noble.

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#22 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:45 AM

strong rumours around wigan that sean long will be leaving salford and coming to wigan, something to do with not being able to work with noble.

Swap with Harris? Didn't Noble and Harris work together at Crusaders?

#23 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,859 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:54 AM

possible, it is also rumored that harris is on the way out

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#24 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,506 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:57 AM

Wow - that's a lots of questions for debate Parky! And all very valid too. In my opinion a lot of the groundwork will have been done to sign some players already. Noble just got back from Australia and I think we will have 2 big names announced (probably for 2014) by magic weekend - I don't think we will get much joy from the big clubs and the better OOC players wont want to sign until we start to look better on AND off the field. Great to be be able to be discussing players and not bancrupcy, admin etc with you!

Well I think these will be fascinating questions.

I just hope Just Browny and his thread wrecking friend don't come along to derail things!!

#25 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:08 AM

Salford would be insane to let Long go anywhere!

My big worry re: Noble is that he'll curb our attack and stifle our young talent.

For all his successes, he has always been a little too conservative for my liking.

Edited by Pottsy, 14 April 2013 - 11:09 AM.

#26 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,760 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:49 AM

My big worry re: Noble is that he'll curb our attack and stifle our young talent.

For all his successes, he has always been a little too conservative for my liking.

Do you think Koukash will allow Noble to have that impact?  He appears to want long term sustainability as he said in the early days he wants to invest in the youth development side of things.

#27 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:29 PM

I tend to agree with that though I would hope that his experiences at Wigan and crusaders will have tempered his conservatism

Can anyone clear up for me -- are transfer fees in any way counted on the salary cap?

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#28 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,161 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:43 PM

I tend to agree with that though I would hope that his experiences at Wigan and crusaders will have tempered his conservatism

Can anyone clear up for me -- are transfer fees in any way counted on the salary cap?

No I don't think so

#29 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:58 PM

Not in the UK but they are in Australia.

#30 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,728 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:59 PM

I think his conservatism is slightly over-stated. I think he plays attractive styles if his personnel allows. At Bradford people accused them of being a team with one plan, but hey that plan worked well, and they used to be very enjoyable to watch.

he does seem to focus on getting the basics right and getting the team competing defensively, and that is probably what Salford need right now.

I think it's a great signing for the Reds, interested to see how well he does as I've always been a fan of his.

#31 Cumbrian Fanatic

Cumbrian Fanatic
  • Coach
  • 657 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:06 PM

Thought about that when Noble was announced, wasn't there a bust up between them on a flight from NZ to Oz when Noble was GB coach?

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

#32 G Las D

G Las D
  • 15,010 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:11 PM

Glad to see Brian doing the job he's good at again. If he get's up to speed quickly I guess he's the best man for the job and the Reds are lucky to get him.

I hope this means he won't be on the Premier Sports TV commentary team for the Championship games from now on.

You got the feeling he didn't take the game at our level seriously.

ARLForumstrap2014_zps302d9d20.jpg   

*************** Disciple of Experience **************

#33 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,728 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:13 PM

Glad to see Brian doing the job he's good at again. If he get's up to speed quickly I guess he's the best man for the job and the Reds are lucky to get him.

I hope this means he won't be on the Premier Sports TV commentary team for the Championship games from now on.

You got the feeling he didn't take the game at our level seriously.

Are you kidding? Noble is one of the best pundits in the country and I've never found him anything but respectful about any game of RL he has been involved in.

#34 Roy Boy

Roy Boy
  • Coach
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:48 PM

Thought about that when Noble was announced, wasn't there a bust up between them on a flight from NZ to Oz when Noble was GB coach?

I can imagine Long hasn't gotten over the amount of times Nobby picked Deacon in front of Longy for GB!
Money can't buy you happiness!
It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!
Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."
Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!
My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

#35 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:03 PM

Still not sure how I feel about this appointment.

Noble will probably bring the stability we need.

Worried about the youngsters not getting the chance, we have a good crop coming through and Noble seems to like overseas players.

See what the announcement on Tuesday bring, backroom staff will be important.

Dean Bell was at the game yesterday.

#36 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:20 PM

Still not sure how I feel about this appointment.

Noble will probably bring the stability we need.

Worried about the youngsters not getting the chance, we have a good crop coming through and Noble seems to like overseas players.

See what the announcement on Tuesday bring, backroom staff will be important.

Dean Bell was at the game yesterday.

This is my only major worry. He'll certainly stiffen us up though but I was hoping for someone a bit more visionary.

#37 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,161 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:23 PM

Personally I'm glad to see him back coaching in the game.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#38 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:51 PM

I'm fascinated at the idea he's chasing 10-15 players.

We have 15 at Hunslet he can buy cheaply.

But if he's after players to enable Salford to compete he's going to have to take them off the big boys or he's going to have to pick off what quality players the lower end SL clubs still have, and Hull, Wigan, Leeds Wire have already been there.

How will Nobby convince players Salford is the place to be rather than Wire, Wigan, Saints, Leeds etc?

Will the top chairmen in SL resist the approaches?

Will Koukash wave transfer fees of large sizes at these guys to sway them??

Will they crack for a wedge of money knowing if Koukash unpicks their team it will only lead to their own demise?

If salford succeed who will suffer?

I'd cherry pick KR and Cas as a starting point. Daryl Clark, Michael Dobson, Corey Patterson, Craig Huby would make decent signings. Elliot Miller from the Championship would be a good signing from Workington also. Then I guess he'd have to live off the scraps of other SL clubs which will be hard to do I'd imagine but he'd be able to bring in a name or two on reputation. A half back partnership of Lee Gaskell and Dobson is something to build on.

It's gonna take Noble about 4 years minimum to establish a top 6 outfit, as you say there isn't 10-15 players to sign.

He might as well cherry pick teams financially weaker than themselves. It's the same principle to why Ratchford, Myler, Smith ect ect are no longer at the club.

Edited by barrowraiderskid, 14 April 2013 - 05:52 PM.

#39 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:24 PM

Hopefully the rules on home grown players will curb Nobby's tendencies to look to the NRL for players first. If so, this could be a good appointment. He's certainly what they need this season and next for the first team.

#40 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,161 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:30 PM

Hopefully the rules on home grown players will curb Nobby's tendencies to look to the NRL for players first. If so, this could be a good appointment. He's certainly what they need this season and next for the first team.

Home-grown also applies to signing other SL players too, something about being 21 or under counts as homegrown though.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users