Brian Noble is the new coach of Salford Reds

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#41 Tre Cool

Tre Cool
  • Coach
  • 463 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:57 PM

Absolutely the right man for the job, im very excited for the future of Salford. Concerned slightly about the crowds though, why are they so low with all ths optimism? Where have they gone and why arent they buying into it all?

Edited by Tre Cool, 14 April 2013 - 07:58 PM.

#42 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:18 PM

* Season tickets went on sale the day before the season started amongst a feeling of doom & gloom and after many years of failure.
* all optimism from the previous season had been lost as most of our stars had been pilfered.
* the popular direct debit option had been removed.
* many fans are /were reluctant to pay £20-odd to watch a team who many had predicted to end the season pointless.
* transport to the stadium is still a major issue - particularly on a Friday night.
* despite the doctor's own best efforts visibility/perception of the club locally is still not what it could be.

Hopefully all this will change

#43 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,503 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:21 PM

Glad to see Brian doing the job he's good at again. If he get's up to speed quickly I guess he's the best man for the job and the Reds are lucky to get him.

I hope this means he won't be on the Premier Sports TV commentary team for the Championship games from now on.

You got the feeling he didn't take the game at our level seriously.

You're joking, surely?  He always knows the players' names and their game history and is never short of pertinent and useful things to say about the teams, the league, the game we are watching and individual players.  He has been excellent on Premier Sports and it is a shame (from my POV as a viewer) that he will no longer be involved (assuming he isn't, which I think it is safe to assume). 

#44 Roy Boy

Roy Boy
  • Coach
  • 2,730 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:41 PM

I can imagine Long hasn't gotten over the amount of times Nobby picked Deacon in front of Longy for GB!

Money can't buy you happiness!
It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!
Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."
Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!
My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

#45 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,814 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:42 PM

Salford would be insane to let Long go anywhere!

My big worry re: Noble is that he'll curb our attack and stifle our young talent.

For all his successes, he has always been a little too conservative for my liking.

insane or not he has gone, and wigan are talking to him.

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#46 Konkrete

Konkrete
  • Coach
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:46 PM

I can imagine Long hasn't gotten over the amount of times Nobby picked Deacon in front of Longy for GB!

Deacon was a top class scrum half and leader for 10 years. Sean Long was, and possibly still is, an unreliable maverick with a questionable attitude.
Integrity is shown when no-one is looking.

#47 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,872 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:21 AM

Deacon was a top class scrum half and leader for 10 years. Sean Long was, and possibly still is, an unreliable maverick with a questionable attitude.

who passed the ball into touch more than any scrum half i've seen.

#48 Roy Boy

Roy Boy
  • Coach
  • 2,730 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:12 AM

And Long had 10 times the flair!
Something that always seemed to frighten Nobby who I always thought was/is a "percentages" coach.
Deacon was Mr Reliable, but never world class.
Long never got much of a chance to shine.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
Sir Winston Churchill

Tobias Smollett

Joe E Lewis

My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

#49 Konkrete

Konkrete
  • Coach
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:25 PM

And Long had 10 times the flair!
Something that always seemed to frighten Nobby who I always thought was/is a "percentages" coach.
Deacon was Mr Reliable, but never world class.
Long never got much of a chance to shine.

You're probably right, Noble is frightened of flair players in his team. I can't think of any that have played under him.

#50 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:32 PM

You're probably right, Noble is frightened of flair players in his team. I can't think of any that have played under him.

Harris? Paul x 2? Hape? Vainikolo?

#51 Konkrete

Konkrete
  • Coach
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:31 PM

Cheers Pottsy. That's a decent prompt for Roy Boy's memory.

Never let the facts etc...

#52 TwoBlues

TwoBlues
  • Coach
  • 723 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:30 PM

and he coached them man and boy.No !  Paul was already there and he signed the other 2  3

Don't think the overses signings will be so easy this time around.

I am sure he improved them,though. :mellow:

#53 Roy Boy

Roy Boy
  • Coach
  • 2,730 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:50 PM

Cheers Pottsy. That's a decent prompt for Roy Boy's memory.

Never let the facts etc...

I think TwoBlues has given the answer but would also add that big Les was hardly a "flair" player - more of an agile battering ram!
You can raise a repost, but do try harder ;)

Sir Winston Churchill

Tobias Smollett

Joe E Lewis

#54 Konkrete

Konkrete
  • Coach
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:36 PM

and he coached them man and boy.No ! Paul was already there and he signed the other 2 3
Don't think the overses signings will be so easy this time around.
I am sure he improved them,though. :mellow:

The accusation was that he didn't like flair players. The fact that he signed them proves the point even more.

A major factor in our demise was the signing of IIestyn Harris, surely a flair player if ever there was one. There's loads more too. Noble has nothing to prove when it comes to developing or signing flair players.

Edited by Konkrete, 22 April 2013 - 05:11 PM.

#55 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:49 PM

I think TwoBlues has given the answer but would also add that big Les was hardly a "flair" player - more of an agile battering ram!
You can raise a repost, but do try harder ;)

Going by your very narrow definition, how many Super League players actually qualify as 'flair' players????

#56 Roy Boy

Roy Boy
  • Coach
  • 2,730 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:48 PM

Going by your very narrow definition, how many Super League players actually qualify as 'flair' players????

Sadly not many imo - I do think there are some good youngsters around and time will only tell.

I think the game / coaches in general have over-coached or stifled some of the "Mavericks" (to quote Konkrete) in the SL era as is noticeable by the lack of good creative halves born & bred.

You can use the over use of southern hemisphere halves also being a contributory factor and all clubs have been guilty.

As to my comment re Nobby - I would have had Long or Briers in front of Deacon for GB ;)  

Sir Winston Churchill

Tobias Smollett

Joe E Lewis

#57 Konkrete

Konkrete
  • Coach
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:24 PM

Sadly not many imo - I do think there are some good youngsters around and time will only tell.
I think the game / coaches in general have over-coached or stifled some of the "Mavericks" (to quote Konkrete) in the SL era as is noticeable by the lack of good creative halves born & bred.
You can use the over use of southern hemisphere halves also being a contributory factor and all clubs have been guilty.

As to my comment re Nobby - I would have had Long or Briers in front of Deacon for GB ;)

Brian Noble selected

Deacon 3 times for GB
Long 8 times for GB
Briers 0 times for GB

I rest my small overnight bag...

#58 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,231 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:03 AM

Brian Noble will be in a different financial position at Salford than he was at Bradford.

In those days

- Aussies could earn more in Britain than at home ... no longer the case.

- The salary cap was effectively worth more and good players could be attracted by most Superleague clubs ... no longer the case.

- Clubs could sell players at a profit to Rugby Union ... these days, short-term contracts mean that they can leave for next-to-nothing.

At Salford, he will seek British players from cash-strapped Superleague clubs .... even Wigan are now a selling club. The financial straits and short-term contracts in operation at those other clubs means that he can get top players cheaply.

He didn't have much money at Crusaders, and bought well. Assuming that the new owner does have genuine financial clout, I think Salford fans can rest easily.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#59 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,872 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:27 AM

Brian Noble will be in a different financial position at Salford than he was at Bradford.

In those days

- Aussies could earn more in Britain than at home ... no longer the case.

- The salary cap was effectively worth more and good players could be attracted by most Superleague clubs ... no longer the case.

- Clubs could sell players at a profit to Rugby Union ... these days, short-term contracts mean that they can leave for next-to-nothing.

At Salford, he will seek British players from cash-strapped Superleague clubs .... even Wigan are now a selling club. The financial straits and short-term contracts in operation at those other clubs means that he can get top players cheaply.

He didn't have much money at Crusaders, and bought well. Assuming that the new owner does have genuine financial clout, I think Salford fans can rest easily.

On the 'cash-strapped' point - whilst I wouldn't have worded it like that, I agree, any player should be available for the right price.

A transfer fee could be enough for a club to balance its books for a year, maybe two, so I think it can be done.

#60 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,226 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:09 AM

On the 'cash-strapped' point - whilst I wouldn't have worded it like that, I agree, any player should be available for the right price.

A transfer fee could be enough for a club to balance its books for a year, maybe two, so I think it can be done.

It is the case two of HKR's best players Dobson and Paterson have been suggested, as have Hauraki at Castleford once Chase leaves.

Who may become available at Widnes if SOC has had enough is another question.

I'm not so sure Noble will just rush in with large transfer fees as much as Dr. MK talks big money, but there will probably be elements of a transfer fee.

I note your comment "Balance the books for a year or two" and take that to mean balance the books until the end of the licence period?

The problem with the struggling clubs (who may also know there's writing on the wall for them) offloading too quickly is there's a full season to go next year, and the ability to compete will be badly depleted if they sell their stars now.

The further effect is seen at Castleford who have openly put Chase up for sale agreed to Clark leaving and posted no hands off warnings on Thompson and Hauraki who are seemingly free to go. That has, it was reported, led to the other Cas players "considering their future".

Noble will do what's best for salford of course. Worry is that SL 2014 could have some serious and maybe embarrassing competitiveness problems for several clubs next year as they await the likelihood of the chop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users