TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Brian Noble is the new coach of Salford Reds

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#61 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:39 AM

It is the case two of HKR's best players Dobson and Paterson have been suggested, as have Hauraki at Castleford once Chase leaves.

Who may become available at Widnes if SOC has had enough is another question.

I'm not so sure Noble will just rush in with large transfer fees as much as Dr. MK talks big money, but there will probably be elements of a transfer fee.

I note your comment "Balance the books for a year or two" and take that to mean balance the books until the end of the licence period?

The problem with the struggling clubs (who may also know there's writing on the wall for them) offloading too quickly is there's a full season to go next year, and the ability to compete will be badly depleted if they sell their stars now.

The further effect is seen at Castleford who have openly put Chase up for sale agreed to Clark leaving and posted no hands off warnings on Thompson and Hauraki who are seemingly free to go. That has, it was reported, led to the other Cas players "considering their future".

Noble will do what's best for salford of course. Worry is that SL 2014 could have some serious and maybe embarrassing competitiveness problems for several clubs next year as they await the likelihood of the chop.

Nope - you read too much into things and automatically try and relate things back to licensing - not unlike Lobby with P&R (see the England Supporter's Club thread!).

Steve O'Connor has not stated that he will stop financially investing in Widnes, he is looking for more people to come on board and create a more sustainable club and BOD - which all makes sense. James Rule pretty much stated that SOC will continue to invest.

On the point about balancing the books, I mean just that. It is not unusual for clubs to lose £100-200k per year, so if they can get a large transfer fee then it helps financially - this has always been the case and is probably more so in the current financial climate - I don;t see this as anything to do with the licensing period. Money talks and always has.

#62 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,701 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:33 PM

Nope - you read too much into things and automatically try and relate things back to licensing - not unlike Lobby with P&R (see the England Supporter's Club thread!).

Steve O'Connor has not stated that he will stop financially investing in Widnes,

I only read what is said.....

"""What we're looking to do is build a board around Steve, bring in some new investors, and the obvious benefit of that is there will be an injection of cash into the business. And despite stepping down as chairman, Rule believes O'Connor's commitment to the club will remain as strong as ever""".

The injection of cash into the business is attributed entirely to "some new investors" they don't yet have

The continued investment of O'Connor is not mentioned at all. The word used is "commitment" which does not at all confirm a financial commitment.

Also Rule says he only has a "belief" O'Connor will remain strongly committed, yet he's close enough to actually know whether O'Connor will keep bankrolling the club or not.

Nothing in there at all says that O'Connor is going to continue to put the millions in.

Your too much like Lobby Dave, not reading things properly and just assuming things.

This is a typical press release. It may be O'Connor will continue to put millions in, it may be otherwise. At least Neil Hudgell said he is to stop putting the millions in (good old honesty)

O'Connor could have confirmed he will continue to put significant monies in that would have been easy to do. But he didn't. I think your closer to Lobby's naivety then me!

Edited by The Parksider, 23 April 2013 - 12:37 PM.

#63 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:27 PM

Your too much like Lobby Dave, not reading things properly and just assuming things.

This is a typical press release. It may be O'Connor will continue to put millions in, it may be otherwise. At least Neil Hudgell said he is to stop putting the millions in (good old honesty)

O'Connor could have confirmed he will continue to put significant monies in that would have been easy to do. But he didn't. I think your closer to Lobby's naivety then me!

So let me get this straight - you say I don't read properly and then assume things, yet you are claiming that O'Connor has said he is stopping investing. You then above state that SOC may continue to put millions in - but haven't you said he said he was stopping investing?

Surely you haven't assumed that he is no longer investing? That would be slightly hypocritical wouldn't it?

#64 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,701 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:30 PM

So let me get this straight - you say I don't read properly and then assume things, yet you are claiming that O'Connor has said he is stopping investing. You then above state that SOC may continue to put millions in - but haven't you said he said he was stopping investing?
Surely you haven't assumed that he is no longer investing? That would be slightly hypocritical wouldn't it?

It could be Dave, but apparently Viking Warrior has the answer, although he was not very clear either.

Quote from the piece "O'Connor has invested millions into the Vikings".

So we know what he has done. What's he going to do as regards money?

Answers on a postcard.....

Edited by The Parksider, 23 April 2013 - 02:40 PM.

#65 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:35 PM

Widnes lack the glamour of their neighbours so Steve wants to bring in uncle Des for that bit of showbiz.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#66 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:46 PM

It could be Dave, but apparently Viking Warrior has the answer, although he was not very clear either.

Quote from the piece "O'Connor has invested millions into the Vikings".

So we know what he has done. What's he going to do as regards money?

Answers on a postcard.....

I haven't a clue what he will do regarding money - he wants to back away from the daily running of the club, and wants more external investment.

The fact that he will remain as Director suggests there is certainly a level of commitment there, whether it is the same level financially as previously is unknown to any of us (unless I have genuinely missed something).

#67 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:59 PM

Back on topic, it'll be a relief when the first biggish signing is inked

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users