Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Dad says Storm star Gareth Widdop would flourish at Brisbane Broncos

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:59 PM

GARETH Widdop's father claims the Broncos have expressed interest in his son and says the pivot would flourish in Brisbane away from the huge playmaking shadow cast by Cooper Cronk in Melbourne.

But it appears Widdop must be the man to initiate any exit from the Storm, with the Broncos yesterday downplaying suggestions they were attempting to lure the British Test star to Red Hill.

The Broncos have come under mounting pressure to land a big-name shot-caller following Corey Norman's shock $1.3 million defection to Parramatta three weeks ago.

And with 33-year-old playmaker Scott Prince facing retirement either this year or next, former Brisbane skipper Darren Lockyer has urged Broncos hierarchy to build their scrumbase fortunes around Widdop in 2014.

Wary of poaching threats, the Storm have begun extension talks with Widdop, who has an option in his favour to stay in Melbourne next season amid interest from at least three NRL rivals. But family forces - and Widdop's ancillary role in a star-studded Melbourne juggernaut - may yet play into Brisbane's hands.

More here..
http://www.courierma...6-1226619824281

It would be a good move for him, he needs the space to develop to his full potential.

#2 Fax1978

Fax1978
  • Coach
  • 568 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:11 PM

Conversely it could be a bad move if he is not yet ready. If I was him I would stay at the storm for at least another season to learn from some of the greatest playmakers in the world before going for a big money move that could stall rather than further his career.

Either way good luck to the lad definately one the the best half back options England has had for quite some time, let just hope big mac is paying attention to how much some of the best coaches and players hold widdop in high regard something he seems to be failing to grasp.

#3 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,356 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:35 AM

"I'm more than happy at Melbourne ... I'll be there for the next few years," he told the local press. http://www.dailytele...0-1226614466143 Doubt he will leave the Storm, especially the way he seems well settled there both in the city and club. The Cap will rise and he will no doubt get an increase. Slater, Smith and Cronk will be gone in a couple of years and the Storm may offer him a deal which sees him get a lot more later

#4 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:31 AM

"I'm more than happy at Melbourne ... I'll be there for the next few years," he told the local press. http://www.dailytele...0-1226614466143 Doubt he will leave the Storm, especially the way he seems well settled there both in the city and club. The Cap will rise and he will no doubt get an increase. Slater, Smith and Cronk will be gone in a couple of years and the Storm may offer him a deal which sees him get a lot more later

It could be 3 or 5 years before those three are gone, they are all 29 years old.
Darren Lockyer retired at 35.
Widdop is not some 19 year old still coming through. he is 24, does he want to wait until he is 28 to find his own place in a team?

#5 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:31 PM

It could be 3 or 5 years before those three are gone, they are all 29 years old.
Darren Lockyer retired at 35.
Widdop is not some 19 year old still coming through. he is 24, does he want to wait until he is 28 to find his own place in a team?

I think it is fair to say Widdop has found his place in the team. He is is up there in the Slater, Cronk, Smith first names on the teamsheet.

#6 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,648 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:22 PM

I thought you meant your dad.  :huh:

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#7 DiH68

DiH68
  • Coach
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:53 AM

I think it is fair to say Widdop has found his place in the team. He is is up there in the Slater, Cronk, Smith first names on the teamsheet.

Exactly....first-choice stand-off for the NRL premiers...and has been for the last couple of years. He's definitely found his place

#8 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:20 PM

Exactly....first-choice stand-off for the NRL premiers...and has been for the last couple of years. He's definitely found his place

Except with Mac Banana, that is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#9 Konkrete

Konkrete
  • Coach
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:16 PM

Except with Mac Banana, that is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He played him in the last tri nations series in 2011 when he was just breaking through at the Storm.
Integrity is shown when no-one is looking.

#10 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 273 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:12 PM

The only other club worth going to would be Brisbane as they draw the big crowds. Otherwise, stay with the consistent premier favorites as a first choice, well paid 5/8th.

#11 Cake Tiger

Cake Tiger
  • Coach
  • 719 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:34 AM

He's signing for St George Illawarra - probably a salary cap thing for the Storm - Widdop will be getting a nice pay rise. A good replacement for Soward.

#12 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:09 AM

He's signing for St George Illawarra - probably a salary cap thing for the Storm - Widdop will be getting a nice pay rise. A good replacement for Soward.

Should have gone to Brisbane.
Always contenders, one City team, well run.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users