Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Match off

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#41 TOWN TILL I DIE

TOWN TILL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 546 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:42 AM

I think by the Operational Rules the game has to be played this week so we are possibly looking at Tuesday or Wednesday evening

We didn't go to Featherstone midweek surely be on a free cup sunday?

#42 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,207 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:44 AM

when will the decision be made if its to be played this week.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#43 kiln7

kiln7
  • Coach
  • 798 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:50 AM

YE i went down at 11 but was all locked up so could not see what the ground was like.

#44 Okesene

Okesene
  • Players
  • 30 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:58 AM

So was PG the match commissioner ?

C Hodgson

#45 thetimberman

thetimberman
  • Coach
  • 165 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:59 AM

No, because it was deemed that as we are pretty unlikely to get to wembley in the cc there will be free weekends in the not to distant future :rolleyes:

#46 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:01 PM

IMO the match commissioner has made a big mistake by calling the game off. I'm sure everyone from both clubs will have wanted it played today. With the way the day is brightening up exactly as was forecasted last night I can't believe he has knocked it on the head.
As for Keighley - let them bleat, I have no time whatsoever for their chairman after his YouTube comments a couple of seasons ago along with that Demitriou muppet.
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#47 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,704 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:05 PM

That was only because it was the week before Easter and you can't play through the week if you already have a game scheduled for that week.   We had a game on Good Friday of that week and Easter Monday of the following week, so it was agreed that it could be played on a free weekend when both clubs were knocked out of the Cup.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#48 Hate the rec

Hate the rec
  • Workington
  • 821 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:12 PM

So it was CH and not PG, forgot Clifford  was a commissioner, sorry Peter thought you were the only one in the area, as for them twining let them, I remember going down there years ago only to find the field covered in snow and rock hard and no one told us, I think mobiles were just in to :lol:

#49 TOWN TILL I DIE

TOWN TILL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 546 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:19 PM

be nightmare for us having to play Tuesday before Haven next sunday

#50 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:24 PM

Unbelievable!!! I don't accept for one second that DP would have been unplayable this afternoon.

#51 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,412 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:28 PM

What a beautiful day ! Great for watching a rugby match ...

#52 Hate the rec

Hate the rec
  • Workington
  • 821 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:31 PM

Some of there fans got to Windermere before finding out :(

#53 scott

scott
  • Workington
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:32 PM

The sun comes out! But game already off! Joke

#54 Hate the rec

Hate the rec
  • Workington
  • 821 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:35 PM

God am in me skinny dippers here in bac garden suns out :D

#55 Nero

Nero
  • Coach
  • 711 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:36 PM

The story is, the drains are fine, but due to the hard ground, the heavy rain last night was standing on the pitch & couldn't get through to the drains quick enough. Nothing has been growing due to the weather & the new turfed areas haven't knitted yet so they cant slice through to let it drain naturally in case it pulls up. It's because of the commitment to the World Cup as well as ourselves. When it starts to grow, in a couple of weeks they'll be able to work on it.

Edited by Nero, 14 April 2013 - 12:36 PM.

#56 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:43 PM

Why wasn't there a pitch inspection scheduled for 12 o'clock? The cougars could have been informed of this and told to expect phone call on route. I wonder what the real reasons for calling it off?

#57 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,207 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:47 PM

town did not call the pitch off,so lets stop the conspiracy theories. if anyone is to blame it was the match commisioner. town have no say if the game was to be played or not.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#58 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,704 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:47 PM

The story is, the drains are fine, but due to the hard ground, the heavy rain last night was standing on the pitch & couldn't get through to the drains quick enough. Nothing has been growing due to the weather & the new turfed areas haven't knitted yet so they cant slice through to let it drain naturally in case it pulls up. It's because of the commitment to the World Cup as well as ourselves. When it starts to grow, in a couple of weeks they'll be able to work on it.

That's exactly why bowling clubs spike their greens when dry weather is expected, so that when it rains it gets in to the top 2 -3 inches quicker.    

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#59 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,412 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:57 PM

Beyond the decision making process , the blame game and reasoning , what can't be argued with is it doesn't reflect well on us or look good . It's a tad embarrassing as things have turned out , and there'll be a few red faces and questions to answer no doubt . But im not getting into finger pointing or conspiracies either , just pointing out the obvious that it isn't a good situation for us to project today .

Edited by DavidM, 14 April 2013 - 01:01 PM.

#60 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,704 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:16 PM

town did not call the pitch off,so lets stop the conspiracy theories. if anyone is to blame it was the match commisioner. town have no say if the game was to be played or not.

I don't think there is anyone putting forward conspiracy theories, wonky, because who in their right mind would want to play on a Tuesday evening before we play our arch-rivals Haven next Sunday?     It still doesn't make it any more palatable that the decision was made by a match commissioner and I'll bet that the pitch at this time, 45 minutes before kick-off is perfectly playable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users