Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Wembley Stadium

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,797 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:08 AM

Not sure if anybody saw the FA Cup semi final yesterday - crowd of 62k.

Now if you believe some here, that is the kind of crowd we have had for our recent Challenge Cup Finals - yet the stadium was far far emptier than any RL final played there.

Maybe, just maybe the 75k crowds were right?

#2 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:26 AM

Its probably the Club Wembley issue again. How full was that tier? And how are those 19,000 seats counted in the total?

#3 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,797 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:19 PM

Its probably the Club Wembley issue again. How full was that tier? And how are those 19,000 seats counted in the total?

pretty empty like ours. They had huge sections empty on the lower tier.

30k empty seats yesterday.

#4 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:39 PM

Not sure if anybody saw the FA Cup semi final yesterday - crowd of 62k.

Now if you believe some here, that is the kind of crowd we have had for our recent Challenge Cup Finals - yet the stadium was far far emptier than any RL final played there.

Maybe, just maybe the 75k crowds were right?

Wigan did return 10,000 of their allocated tickets!

#5 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,797 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:45 PM

Wigan did return 10,000 of their allocated tickets!

Yep - and don't get me wrong,this isn't a criticism of their actual crowd - we'd love 20k at a semi final never mind 60k, it was more a point around people stating that our crowds have been around 60-65k  at Wembley as the ground has been a third empty, yet the stadium yesterday was a third empty and the Challenge Cup has never looked anything like that.

#6 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,141 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:49 PM

i went in 2010 and I thought it looked pretty full TBH. Although I must admit I (and my lad) went on a freebie courtesy of Carnegie

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#7 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,797 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:08 PM

Real figure was around 50000/55000 as usual ALL CLUB WEMBLEY etc were included as they are for RL matches.

Lets see what they come up with this year:))))))))

CM

a 50k crowd would mean the whole top tier would be closed (or the equivalent empty)

#8 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,797 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:09 PM

dunno how to post pics!

Edited by Dave T, 14 April 2013 - 02:10 PM.

#9 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 969 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:22 PM

Real figure was around 50000/55000 as usual ALL CLUB WEMBLEY etc were included as they are for RL matches.

Lets see what they come up with this year:))))))))

CM

According to reports out this week about the alleged difference in attendance figures for Man Utd home games, Wembley aren't the only ones to bump up the figures significantly. 

#10 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:45 PM

A slight thread tangent, and I hope it doesn't sound disrespectful, but should the RFL look into seeing how much it would cost for Wembley for the Northern Rail Cup and/or Championship finals?

I know that sound bonkers, but there are plenty of finals like the Johnston Paint Trophy, FA Trophy final, FA Vase Final, etc. that play at Wembley. Now I'm probably right to assume the FA finance these games with their spare change, but it might open up our own Cup games outside the top division if these were held at Wembley.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#11 THE RED ROOSTER

THE RED ROOSTER
  • Coach
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:03 PM

According to reports out this week about the alleged difference in attendance figures for Man Utd home games, Wembley aren't the only ones to bump up the figures significantly.

And here is the article in question from The Daily Mail
http://www.dailymail...s_campaign=1490
"seats sold" is also in use in Rugby League which is why the published attendance figure often does not correspond to what you see with the naked eye.
Of course there are other reasons - according to Eduardo commenating on Wigan v St Helens the empty seats you could see at the JJB were held back for health & safety reasons otherwise the game would have sold out 3 times over. I feel it only fair to reveal exclusively on TRL that London also need to keep 12,500 seats empty at the Stoop for the same health & safety reasons......

I am an oil trader and successful at that but, but marketing, finance, business management, human resources etc are not my strengths

David Hughes to Ian Lenagan Page 134 - A Pastel Revolution - Fletcher and Gordas - 2006

Being an outsider, it is easiest to see what is wrong with the sport. It's a fantastic sport that has been undersold and under-marketed  because people who run it probably want to keep it the way it is

Dr Marwan Koukash to Joanthan Lieu. Sunday Telegraph 9th March 2014

#12 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,864 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:24 PM

Related story this week appeared about United and possible differences between what they declare and whats sat on a seat watching a game.

As for yesterday I see plenty of blocks were empty in what I think was the 60 quid sections at the Millwall end but the press would have you believe they sold there full allocation.

#13 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,088 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:39 PM

And here is the article in question from The Daily Mail
http://www.dailymail...s_campaign=1490
"seats sold" is also in use in Rugby League which is why the published attendance figure often does not correspond to what you see with the naked eye.
Of course there are other reasons - according to Eduardo commenating on Wigan v St Helens the empty seats you could see at the JJB were held back for health & safety reasons otherwise the game would have sold out 3 times over. I feel it only fair to reveal exclusively on TRL that London also need to keep 12,500 seats empty at the Stoop for the same health & safety reasons......

In all seaters if the game isn't declared all ticket before the event, Wigan and Saints wasn't, then a certain amount of seats in each stand (I think its 10% except where season tickets have already got occupancy) have to be left available for walk ups.

Its a daft police thing where they don't want a load of fans outside with nowhere to go.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#14 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 982 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:31 PM

They must do. I went to 2 games in the space of 10 months at the stadium where similar crowds were posted. Apparently the RL had 1,000 more fans in attendance!...

Tampa Bay Buccaneers v New England Patriots - 84,254
wembleybucs2_zpsd11271e1.jpg

wembleybucs3_zps5f1efbb2.jpg

Leeds Rhinos v Warrington Wolves - 85,217
wembleyleeds2_zpsafc6e385.jpg

This was taken by a Wire fan in the opposite end
wembleyleeds_zps3110b506.jpg

So like I said, 1000 more people are apparently in the Stadium for the Cup final.

rhinosbulldogs_zps04cf7e0a.jpg

#15 T Dub

T Dub
  • Coach
  • 961 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:41 PM

Edited by T Dub, 15 April 2013 - 09:42 PM.

#16 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,864 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:44 PM

A slight thread tangent, and I hope it doesn't sound disrespectful, but should the RFL look into seeing how much it would cost for Wembley for the Northern Rail Cup and/or Championship finals?

I know that sound bonkers, but there are plenty of finals like the Johnston Paint Trophy, FA Trophy final, FA Vase Final, etc. that play at Wembley. Now I'm probably right to assume the FA finance these games with their spare change, but it might open up our own Cup games outside the top division if these were held at Wembley.

It'll be out of date now, but I was told going back 2/3 years the cost for the Johnston Paint was in the region of 250k to 300k, but it was only a conversation in passing, so no idea if thats all in (ie police/stewards etc) or just the venue, either way probably over budget for most games we put on.

#17 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,797 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:45 PM

Those photos of the Leeds v Wire game are not a good representation.
The rfl had to scramble to get extra tickets for that game and it was announced as a sellout - no other cup final has sold out. The 5-7k empty seats were club wembley they couldnt resell. People were still streaming in at the time of those photos.

Also worth noticing that the NFL had sections at the bottom not open.

#18 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 982 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:52 PM

Those photos of the Leeds v Wire game are not a good representation.
The rfl had to scramble to get extra tickets for that game and it was announced as a sellout - no other cup final has sold out. The 5-7k empty seats were club wembley they couldnt resell. People were still streaming in at the time of those photos.

Also worth noticing that the NFL had sections at the bottom not open.

Those sections make up just over 5k. It's strange how the cup final was a sellout though, yet there were massive red areas in both sides of the Stadium

#19 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,797 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:00 PM

Those sections make up just over 5k. It's strange how the cup final was a sellout though, yet there were massive red areas in both sides of the Stadium

I certainly dont remember those red sections being empty during the game - although there will always be no-shows especislly with some of the cheap deals knocking around.

Nobody really questioned the Leeds v Wire 2010 crowd at the time.

It is also worth noting that the legroom at wembley is vast - a block of 2-300 empty seats csn look quite prominent.

#20 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 982 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:14 PM

I certainly dont remember those red sections being empty during the game - although there will always be no-shows especislly with some of the cheap deals knocking around.

Nobody really questioned the Leeds v Wire 2010 crowd at the time.

It is also worth noting that the legroom at wembley is vast - a block of 2-300 empty seats csn look quite prominent.

I did, but only because Id been to see the Bucs game the year before and it felt much more full.

I get what you are saying though with the space you get. If Wembley had seat areas the same size as as Old Trafford, it would hold 120,000 people.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users