Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Wembley Stadium

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 Cherry and White

Cherry and White
  • Coach
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:25 PM

on the fence on this one.

any pictures about of when the rl game had kicked off?

HOLD ON TIGHT TO YOUR DREAM.

liverpool fc-rome 1977
wigan rl-wembley 1985
redsox-2004
GB RL-?????
Lancashire cricket 2011

#22 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:41 PM

any pictures about of when the rl game had kicked off?

Just to be clear, that. Comparing an NFL photo taken during the game with a pre-match rugby one when fans will be on the concourse or still getting into the stadium is meaningless.

#23 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,642 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:16 AM

Just to be clear, that. Comparing an NFL photo taken during the game with a pre-match rugby one when fans will be on the concourse or still getting into the stadium is meaningless.

Not if your team lost and you have a tired agenda to run down the competition in question.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#24 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,841 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:52 AM

Isn't it strange how there is the frequent assertion that our game is not as popular with the fans as we might think/like. There seems to be a vicarious pleasure in trying to show how many empty seats there are.

Only in Rugby League...

#25 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 5,992 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:52 AM

See what you've done now Harrigan you've woke CM up.

#26 Cumbrian Fanatic

Cumbrian Fanatic
  • Coach
  • 599 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:05 AM

I certainly dont remember those red sections being empty during the game - although there will always be no-shows especislly with some of the cheap deals knocking around.

Nobody really questioned the Leeds v Wire 2010 crowd at the time.

It is also worth noting that the legroom at wembley is vast - a block of 2-300 empty seats csn look quite prominent.

From memory there were hardly any empty seats at the Warrington v Leeds game 

I notice that the NFL photo's are taken during the game when nearly everyone would be seated but the rugby photos are taken with the band still on the pitch and no teams present meaning a lot of spectators would still no have taken their seats.

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

#27 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,324 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:46 AM

From memory there were hardly any empty seats at the Warrington v Leeds game

I notice that the NFL photo's are taken during the game when nearly everyone would be seated but the rugby photos are taken with the band still on the pitch and no teams present meaning a lot of spectators would still no have taken their seats.

yep.
That final was sold out. The RFL stopped selling tickets for the match even after getting extras.
Nobody came away from that match talking about the empty seats, people understood there were some from club wembley but in the main it was full.

#28 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:53 AM

This might help, or not...

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#29 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:56 AM

...it's a bit blurry.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#30 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,293 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:02 AM

Isn't it strange how there is the frequent assertion that our game is not as popular with the fans as we might think/like. There seems to be a vicarious pleasure in trying to show how many empty seats there are.

Only in Rugby League...

Heard an ad on radio by the RFU to buy tickets to the "sell-out" Aviva Premiership Final. That's how you market an event. You try to get new fans to buy tickets to a "sold out must see" event.

We get our fans knocking our game.

I have a great day out at Wembley every year even when Leeds lose. :-( I'll be there again this year. Hope lots of you join me so one day non-RL fans will want to go to our "sold out must see" event.

#31 brooza

brooza
  • 4,295 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:03 AM

I was at the 2011 CC Final. I was also at the England v Wales football match a couple of weeks later, and I noticed that the crowd looked remarkably similar.

So either the FA are also lying about the crowds at their games, or there we approx. 75k at the CC final

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#32 Cumbrian Fanatic

Cumbrian Fanatic
  • Coach
  • 599 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:06 AM

Heard an ad on radio by the RFU to buy tickets to the "sell-out" Aviva Premiership Final. That's how you market an event. You try to get new fans to buy tickets to a "sold out must see" event.

We get our fans knocking our game.

I have a great day out at Wembley every year even when Leeds lose. :-( I'll be there again this year. Hope lots of you join me so one day non-RL fans will want to go to our "sold out must see" event.

I'll be there too, go every year and haven't had a bad weekend yet. This year we've managed to get 6 CC Final virgins - 4 of the Londoners

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

#33 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,639 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:55 PM

Me neither it looked far fuller than that.My mate took some and I have them on my PC i'm going to check later

I certainly dont remember those red sections being empty during the game - although there will always be no-shows especislly with some of the cheap deals knocking around.

Nobody really questioned the Leeds v Wire 2010 crowd at the time.

It is also worth noting that the legroom at wembley is vast - a block of 2-300 empty seats csn look quite prominent.

but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#34 Hullfan

Hullfan
  • Coach
  • 687 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:17 PM

Best stadium I've ever been to, great atmosphere was their for hull city PO final, England v brazil ,last years FA cup final, wire v Leeds 2ice.beento nou camp bernabeu anfield old Trafford emirates nothing compares to it'!!!!!!!!!

#35 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,702 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:16 PM

Without wanting to go over old ground as i have posted about this several times its a well known fact in official circles that the RFL posted increased figures for the 4 Nations (Bumped up by around 5/6000) and the CC Final 12/15000.

CM

Without wanting to go over all ground you actually know nothing and are confusing your suspicions with fact.

Have you sent the proof to League Express yet?

#36 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,719 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:21 PM

Sorry mate FACT shame that some of you on here believe all the nonsense and spin from the HQ of the 4th reich:))))

Why should we believe you more than them? Aren't you just spinning the other way?
Posted Image

#37 RugbyLeagueGeek

RugbyLeagueGeek
  • Coach
  • 629 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:58 PM

Sorry mate FACT shame that some of you on here believe all the nonsense and spin from the HQ of the 4th reich:))))

There's the Nazis again. That Godwin bloke was right!

#38 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,719 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:52 PM

There's the Nazis again. That Godwin bloke was right!

:D
Posted Image

#39 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:55 PM

Warrington v Leeds 2010 was 85,217

To me that means that all of Club Wembley (19,000) were counted and approx 4,800 empty seats.

I've seen that clip before and there are plenty of small areas of empty seats and Club Wembley is no more than 15 - 20% full.

OR

Wembley holds 90,000 - less Club Wembley Total 19,000 = 71,000. Add 20% of Club Wembley = approx 3,800 = 74,800. Add a few that don't turn up - still gets nowhere near 85,000. so the 85,217 is over-stated.

I was in the "sold-out, packed" Warrington end but there were empty seats.

I don't want to be negative, but realistic.

Maybe we have a good number who don't make it down to Wembley or don't even make it out of the pub. My group discussed it one year in about 1990, but quickly dismissed the idea.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users