Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Catching The Ball From A Kick-Off

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Ex-Kirkholt

Ex-Kirkholt
  • Coach
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:07 PM

During the Cas game yesterday, one of the Widnes players caught the ball from a kick-off with the officials saying that his foot was already out of play so it was, effectively, kicked dead and therefore a 25 tap to the defending side.

In my view, as he prepared to make the catch, he lifted one of his feet from inside the in-goal area, thus in play, and placed it "dead" at the same time as he caught the ball. To my eyes, the player took the ball dead and it should have been a drop-out.

If he had set his foot out of play clearly bfore catching the ball then I think it should have been a tap restart.

Anyone else see this or have a view on it ?  Is my understanding incorrect ?

Looks like it wer' organised by't Pennine League

#2 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,117 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:15 PM

During the Cas game yesterday, one of the Widnes players caught the ball from a kick-off with the officials saying that his foot was already out of play so it was, effectively, kicked dead and therefore a 25 tap to the defending side.

In my view, as he prepared to make the catch, he lifted one of his feet from inside the in-goal area, thus in play, and placed it "dead" at the same time as he caught the ball. To my eyes, the player took the ball dead and it should have been a drop-out.

If he had set his foot out of play clearly bfore catching the ball then I think it should have been a tap restart.

Anyone else see this or have a view on it ?  Is my understanding incorrect ?

I thought they should have had a look at it tbh. I think it was very close as to whether his foot was in the air as he touched it as you say, but even Sky didn;t focus too much on it so I assumed I was wrong.

If he caught it with his foot dead, then the decision was right. I assume simultaneous is touch. 

#3 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:16 PM

Btw, its a penalty on the half way line, not a 25m tap.

It's time to park the camels.

#4 brooza

brooza
  • 4,239 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:32 AM

I didn't think he got his foot down in time, but couldn't be bothered rewinding to check

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, KĂžbenhavn Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#5 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 888 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:38 AM

I thought he could have taken it dead but with every replay they showed, the score box blocked the exact view (or seemed to).

rhinosbulldogs_zps04cf7e0a.jpg

#6 sallywt

sallywt
  • Coach
  • 510 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:42 AM

What's this 25 tap you speak of?

#7 Ex-Kirkholt

Ex-Kirkholt
  • Coach
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:58 AM

What's this 25 tap you speak of?

My mistake

#8 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,341 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:10 PM

ex-kirkolt showing age there.....at least it was metric!

#9 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,471 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:47 PM

ex-kirkolt showing age there.....at least it was metric!

Aye, he is getting on a bit!  :)

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#10 TheChief

TheChief
  • Players
  • 47 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:54 AM

Personally, I hate the rule. IMO the game should aim to reward skill and if you can kick a ball 54m, landing it just inside the dead ball line, you have got to credit the kick, not give an advantage to the player making a catch with his foot trailing behind him.
Follow me on twitter @MalcHankey

#11 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 5,975 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:56 AM

Personally, I hate the rule. IMO the game should aim to reward skill and if you can kick a ball 54m, landing it just inside the dead ball line, you have got to credit the kick, not give an advantage to the player making a catch with his foot trailing behind him.

It isn't good skill though the player kicking the ball also knows about this rule so kicking it 54m is too far.

#12 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,970 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:17 AM

Indeed, Ah Van did better kick offs, however intentional.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#13 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,117 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:47 AM

It isn't good skill though the player kicking the ball also knows about this rule so kicking it 54m is too far.

correct. i thought that at the time when Clarke was moaning about it. Kick it one metre shorter - then its a great kick.

#14 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,341 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:19 AM

Isn't there a similar rule for catching with your foot in touch?

#15 Ex-Kirkholt

Ex-Kirkholt
  • Coach
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:38 AM

Aye, he is getting on a bit!  :)

I'll never be as old as you !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users