20 metre re-start

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:31 PM

In yesterdays match between Cas and Widnes, Rangi Chase at a 20 metre re-start kicked the ball from his hands (i.e. not a drop kick) and got it to bounce in to touch in the Widnes 20 metre zone and got the feed at the scrum.

It got me thinking why don't more teams do that sort of thing.    The opposition is always lined up across the 30 metre line and only the full-back deep and as long as the ball bounces in play before going out of play it's more profitable than taking a quick tap and making 7 or 8 metres before being tackled.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#2 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,259 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:33 PM

Yep risk and reward .

#3 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,662 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:56 PM

i dont think we have anyone who can kick it that far. when was the last 40-20 attempt?
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#4 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,259 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:58 PM

Agreed . On our sized pitch and it being so firm that's a great option every game .

#5 scott

scott
  • Workington
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:17 PM

I believe Forber could but in must win games I would never try that

#6 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:28 PM

I believe Forber could but in must win games I would never try that

Why not scott?    If we were taking a 20 metre restart and the opposition were all, except their fullback, lined up across the 30 metre line in front of us waiting to charge forward to tackle us, why not put in a long kick towards the touchline because it doesn't matter where it goes in to touch, as long as it bounces in play first we would get the feed at the scrum.

You wouldn't get away with it every time but as long as you only did it a few times or once a game it could pay dividends, like it did for rangi Chase.

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#7 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,259 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:31 PM

It's the out of the box plays that sometimes does decide must win games ...

#8 GETEMONSIDE

GETEMONSIDE
  • Coach
  • 291 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:28 AM

Why not scott?    If we were taking a 20 metre restart and the opposition were all, except their fullback, lined up across the 30 metre line in front of us waiting to charge forward to tackle us, why not put in a long kick towards the touchline because it doesn't matter where it goes in to touch, as long as it bounces in play first we would get the feed at the scrum.

You wouldn't get away with it every time but as long as you only did it a few times or once a game it could pay dividends, like it did for rangi Chase.

I agree Keith but it would be a start if we kicked to touch from a penalty! Many times we opt not to kick or take an easy 10 metres when more metres are easily available.

Always have been always will be the pride of West Cumbria!

#9 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,180 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:40 AM

That sounds like a great option if you have a reasonable field kicker Keith

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#10 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 2,052 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:13 AM

The opposition would get wise to this very quickly so you would only be able to do it once. There's no guarantee of achieving touch and so the possibility of turning the ball over cheaply is there. I suppose it would be worth try if a team was chasing a game or a BP with time running out.

Edited by town4me, 16 April 2013 - 09:16 AM.

#11 Spanish Knight

Spanish Knight
  • Coach
  • 9,871 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:45 AM

But if the wingers drop back, you have a two man overlap and could make some easy yards, I think its a great move and I don't understand why its not used more often.

#12 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,180 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:05 AM

and like I said with a decent field kicker, even if it doesnt find touch, with a good kick/chase you will be playing in the opposition half rather than within your own 30 !

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#13 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,259 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:15 AM

Especially if , err , you have the tendency to spill the ball at your own end ...

#14 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 2,052 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:33 AM

But if the wingers drop back, you have a two man overlap and could make some easy yards, I think its a great move and I don't understand why its not used more often.

yeah true there is the possibility of an overlap SK. IMO when town stick to the basics they perform best as in complete the set and give a good kick chase especially given the size of DP. As i say maybe if your chasing the game its worth a try.

#15 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:54 AM

Of course you couldn't do it every 20 metre re-start but if you did it once and caught out the opposition you could bet that they would have men drop back deep for the next one.    This then gives room to run the ball out (as long as we don't drop the ball which we have a tendency to do!!).    After I saw Chase do it I thought to myself that I'll bet more teams try this in the coming weeks, so let's be one of them.

#16 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,259 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:06 AM

Chase doesn't just catch the opposition out . I always get the feeling his teammates are on a totally different planet from him !!

#17 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 2,052 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:15 AM

Of course you couldn't do it every 20 metre re-start but if you did it once and caught out the opposition you could bet that they would have men drop back deep for the next one. This then gives room to run the ball out (as long as we don't drop the ball which we have a tendency to do!!). After I saw Chase do it I thought to myself that I'll bet more teams try this in the coming weeks, so let's be one of them.

chase is clever player and yes its defo worth an occasional try Keith. The lack of 40/20 attempts and kicking for distance on freekicks is something we could possibly improve on.

Edited by town4me, 16 April 2013 - 11:17 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users