TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Match to be played when?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,182 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:09 PM

surely a sunday would be better for the availability of fans + therefore gate receipts ??

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#22 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 2,089 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:17 PM

surely a sunday would be better for the availability of fans + therefore gate receipts ??

yep i agree lee.

Edited by town4me, 15 April 2013 - 03:17 PM.

#23 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,713 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:20 PM

its looking like thats going to be the plan. just book it for the challenge cup semi final weekend. im pretty confident neither of us will be taking part. it just seems daft that its taken so long to sort, but this is the rfl were talking about.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#24 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 9,007 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:30 PM

It's fitting it in on a Sunday that is the problem.   If (when) Town win on Sunday the Challenge Cup 5th Round will no longer be free.    The following Sunday is the Northern Rail Cup first knockout matches when both teams will be playing.    The next available Sunday would be 16th June which is scheduled for the NR Cup Quarter finals but there again it is not beyond the bounds of possibility that either Town or Keighley will be in that round.  That leaves two other Sundays when the NR Cup semi-finals and the Challenge Cup semi-finals are to be played.

However, we already have the Featherstone match to fit in on one of those and I believe that clubs were looking at using one of these weekends to play the games scheduled for the Thursday before the Challenge Cup Final when we should be at York.    So, when exactly do you fit the game in?

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#25 homeandawayer

homeandawayer
  • Coach
  • 1,170 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:40 PM

If it says in the byelaws you have to play in the following week then just do that. :huh:  

#26 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 2,089 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:42 PM

A Midweek game would have to be arranged but with plenty of notice.

#27 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,713 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:45 PM

well according to the town site town wanted tuesday or wednesday this week but keighley said both were unacceptable.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#28 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 462 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:47 PM

See the latest statement on the Town site. I hope the Rugby League now make a prompt decision based on their own clear operational rules.

Edited by Supporter, 15 April 2013 - 04:50 PM.

#29 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,367 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:57 PM

Cheers Cougars . Sensible option from town , get it done and out of the way and not in a league week but for some unknown reason this is ' unacceptable ' , or is it just obstructive as they're peeved ??? Now we wait and wait and leave everything up in the air for down the line ...Sometime in a few months. Great .The RFL should have stepped in , made strongly clear their directives , and if need be enforced them . They should be in sync with the most obvious and sensible idea . Keighley have a backlog to now and uncertain schedules , I'd like to know their reasoning ( and we've had to travel for evening games so you can't just use that )

Edited by DavidM, 15 April 2013 - 05:07 PM.

#30 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 9,007 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:24 PM

Well it certainly begs the question of what is the purpose of having Operational Rules if clubs can just by-pass them at will.    It could affect Town later in the season if the RFL allow the match to be played on the one remaining Sunday we could play it as that would mean the York match would have to go ahead on a Thursday evening meaning a midweek trip for Town.

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#31 Town Army

Town Army
  • Coach
  • 282 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:29 PM

We're at home to York on the 22nd August

Edited by Town Army, 15 April 2013 - 05:30 PM.

#32 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,367 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:36 PM

That's right Keith , if two clubs can't agree the RFL should refer the parties to these directives and make a ruling themselves which is pertinant to them and binding . The rules are pretty pointless if they're not adhered to by one side and they're free to do so.
The RFL mediating here and enforcing their role as governing body takes potential squabbling and oneupmanship out of it , and you'd think they would be keen to gently pressurise Keighley into adhering to the procedures set down as they wrote them in the first place ! I just don't think this obstructive call by the Cougars does either side any favours .

Edited by DavidM, 15 April 2013 - 05:38 PM.

#33 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 9,007 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:51 PM

We're at home to York on the 22nd August

You're right Town Army but there was talk of the game being played on a free weekend and other clubs were hoping to do the same.  

#34 Monkeydo

Monkeydo
  • Coach
  • 512 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:45 PM

Course it suits that mob to say its unacceltable to play the game on tue/wed this week, Town have nearly everyone available this week, no doubt they'll take their chances on having the game played later in the season and hope there could be a few important players out injured

#35 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,367 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:59 PM

That's why the RFL as the third party should mediate and call it according to their own directives , then the petty politics and conspiracy theories are kept in check . No idea why their own directives aren't adhered to in a stalemate and why one party can ignore them . So what's there point then ? Makes it worthless paper and the RFL look a tad impotent .

Edited by DavidM, 15 April 2013 - 07:06 PM.

#36 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:39 PM

At least if town have an away game called off later in the season they can refuse to travel the following week..........
I bet the correct rules would be applied in that situation!! Why have a set of procedures if you aren't going to bother adhering to them?!

#37 lifer

lifer
  • Coach
  • 293 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:57 AM

Any news yet, as a barrow fan i was hoping for tues/wed, me and the missus would have come up to watch...and a few beers...

#38 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 9,007 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:41 AM

Any news yet, as a barrow fan i was hoping for tues/wed, me and the missus would have come up to watch...and a few beers...

We are talking the RFL here, lifer, and they don't work too speedily!!!    It isn't going to be this week unfortunately because Keighley said "No" and the RFL don't appear to have the spherical objects to make them play it this week.    

#39 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,367 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:47 AM

Inexplicable isnt it . Now we have two teams who've only played 9 facing a backlog and uncertain scheduling down the line . The RFL should have asked Keighley for their reasoning , and if it looked like sheer obstruction through being peeved over Sunday they should have been decisive in their directives and enforced them .But heh , that's just looking in from the outside and giving the governing body some , err , as you intimate , niagaras .

Edited by DavidM, 16 April 2013 - 11:49 AM.

#40 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 462 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:36 PM

The RFL should have asked Keighley for their reasoning , and if it looked like sheer obstruction through being peeved over Sunday they should have been decisive in their directives and enforced them .But heh , that's just looking in from the outside and giving the governing body some , err , as you intimate , niagaras .

The rules state that they will indeed be asked for their refusal reasonings ....Where one Club does not wish to play the Match on the date scheduled by following the agreed procedure..... then both Clubs are required to promptly make full written submissions to the Board which shall determine the date on which the Match shall be played. Unfortunately, despite the use of the word 'promptly', the prolonged nature of the system can mean that it is often inevitably too late to enforce the mid-week alternative fixture. It is also interesting to note that the Keighley site ignores the re-arrangement possibilities, their only focus is the cup match ahead. Perhaps time for us now to do the same.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users