Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Squad and predictions for Haven

• Please log in to reply
173 replies to this topic

#141 Monkeydo

Monkeydo
  • Coach
  • 349 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:57 PM

Any snippets from imadementedloony.com today anyone?

#142 bomber is god

bomber is god
  • Coach
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:42 PM

Not interested in the special ones,we need to back this win up now with some decent away form.
COME ON YOU TOWN!!

#143 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,449 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:47 PM

Looking at the fixtures the next 7 games will determine our season , all potentially winnable . If we find some consistency ,start playing to the sum of our parts away , and for the full 80 at home ,and find that bit extra behind the pack to turn possession into points more often we are more than capable of quickly getting mid table security .

Edited by DavidM, 22 April 2013 - 03:52 PM.

#144 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,707 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:46 PM

Looking at the fixtures the next 7 games will determine our season , all potentially winnable . If we find some consistency ,start playing to the sum of our parts away , and for the full 80 at home ,and find that bit extra behind the pack to turn possession into points more often we are more than capable of quickly getting mid table security .

I take it you meant our next 7 league games as 2 of our next 4 are cup matches.   We have to play at home :- Hunslet; Doncaster; Leigh; Dewsbury; Swinton; Keighley; Featherstone and York.    With the right team and players in the right positions we can win most of them but I would settle for 6 wins and bonus points from the 8 matches.

Away from home we have :- Dewsbury; Keighley; Haven; Sheffield; Batley; Featherstone; Hunslet; Barrow and Halifax.   Three of those games at least are winnable and the odd bonus point again will see us safe.

The cup matches could be a distraction but I'm sure we all know where the bread and butter is for us.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#145 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,449 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:59 PM

Yep next 7 league up to Dews on 7 July ( leaving out the 2 unscheduled ) ... After them it's Sheffield , Batley and Fev in less than a month , so this meat of the season coming up is important and wins are very attainable given the level of performance we know we're capable of .
Turning possession into points is key for us , and sharpening up behind the scrum will help there as we know what our pack will deliver and give the territory . Callum's try was a half backs try and it would be intriguing to see him there , along with Connor who looks like he has a handy kicking game , will be well schooled in the basics to get us round the paddock , and looks under utilised out wide. No sleight on the improved Forber , he can still make the 17 ahead of Coyle ,but trying new formations is OK in looking for that extra dimension

Edited by DavidM, 22 April 2013 - 07:08 PM.

#146 homeandawayer

homeandawayer
  • Coach
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:45 PM

It's a good job they weren't a good team cos Forber's kicking was rubbish in contrast to their excellent kicking game (that hurt).

#147 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,449 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:50 PM

Such a central part of the modern game isn't it , field position kicking and last tackle attacking kicking .A quality boot is a string puller as well as a try creator .We have lacked there badly in recent times . Along with that we just need to tweak things to find that extra sprinkle of magic to take advantage of our grunt . It's ok being a forward dominant set up , but if behind that pack - in the halves and backs -is lacking in edge you're not getting full value for their efforts . We have the forwards covered , and so I often feel we're a quality half and a top outside back away from being a top championship side . That half may already be at the club ... Hope we get the chance to see !

Edited by DavidM, 22 April 2013 - 07:59 PM.

#148 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:55 PM

yeah forber had a nightmare yesterday and im one on here who often sings his praises. from kicking out on the full,to knocking on just as hes kicking and generally giving the fullback easy catches everytime. a one off in a much improved season from carl. i would definately move callum to scrum half who put in a great little kick,with lupton dropped to the bench.

Edited by wonky, 22 April 2013 - 07:56 PM.

the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#149 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:03 PM

I thought Buffer did ok yesterday but not his best game. In general our kicking game can improve not just from him.

I Know he wasn't playing yesterday but Brett Philips can kick a ball high and miles but I don't think he has the confidence to put his hand up. What about Connor just for kicks to touch?

Rooney's kicks were good but his passing was erratic and they seemed to rely on him too much.

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#150 scott

scott
  • Workington
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:08 PM

I thought we played really well. Forber a few bad mistakes but i think him and Callum in the halves would be very good

#151 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,449 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:09 PM

Forber's ok and he won't let you down , good squad player , but he's not frightening opposition at this level and doesn't have the skills or speed to push us on in this league . Callum , Connor and even Carter are the likes you'd like to get a gig there . Lupton to me is an organising loose forward . With 2 threatening halves and him at 13 that gives 3 pivots and more options . Olstrum can give utility and impact anywhere , hooker or running forward he is invaluable . Covering 2 or 3 positions means he'd still play a lot of minutes and would rip up tiring defences .

Edited by DavidM, 22 April 2013 - 08:21 PM.

#152 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,707 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:24 PM

I hope in the not too distant future to see Connor playing at half-back.    Several times yesterday I was saying how I would like to see him nearer the action because he doesn't see much of the ball at the moment.     We have heard every reason under the sun why he isn't playing there but unless we give the lad a real go in that position we will never know.    I understand he has a good kicking game or at least that's what it said on the Scorpions website when they signed him but will we ever find out for ourselves.    

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#153 unicorn106

unicorn106
  • Coach
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:28 PM

Anyone know where we can see the highlights ? missed them tonight on Border

#154 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:28 PM

Our kicking on last tackle and kicking for distance off a free kick often feels a little frustrating. I'd like to see us try something different at times with either personnel or the types of kicks.

#155 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,449 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:33 PM

We got one tasty glimpse the other week for a try... The bloke was in a Queensland Cup winning mob , surely we've signed him to be in the middle of the action . Centres don't get much ball or space to shine in our side anyway , so it's a bit of a waste . When will see how good he is , soon hopefully when he gets more responsibility .

#156 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,449 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:34 PM

They're on SLTV site and on the loveRL app unicorn

#157 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,449 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:35 PM

If in doubt bomb it is never a bad philosophy town4me ... Another plug for Connor !

#158 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,707 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:36 PM

Anyone know where we can see the highlights ? missed them tonight on Border

There's some on Super League TV.   Just Google that and you will see the Cumbrian derby match link.

#159 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,449 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:37 PM

Was it me or did it look like Carter got an elbow or forearm in the mush ?

#160 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,707 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:39 PM

Was it me or did it look like Carter got an elbow or forearm in the mush ?

Yes, I put that comment on another post  earlier.    Jackson leading with his elbow/forearm right in his face.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users