Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Squad and predictions for Haven

• Please log in to reply
173 replies to this topic

#161 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 828 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:25 PM

This game coming in Sunday is where the kicking game can be the difference of coming home with some points or empty handed, I'm not a big fan of Forber but he has had a go this season but I think the glimpse of Callum at 7 shows we need to go for it! if big ginge is injured Connor may well carry on in the centre role but we will have him there at some point in the halfs! Wonder if briscoe fancys a second chance if in the centres or wing!!

#162 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,315 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:29 PM

If Briscoe is still out of favour down there I'd definitely be getting him in if he's still keen . You can't buy that experience or background and with Calders out and big Red struggling ,him and Hulme should be still firmly in the setup as we're not overflowing with strike in the backs . If Briscoe wants to play full back Carter right in the thick of it at 6 may not be a bad thing for a freshen up , they could even interchange . But an international dropping down should be able to play in any back position really if you don't wanna change things round , and even if he's on the wing he'll be rock solid under the bomb , which seems to be the main necessity for a winger now , certainly defensively.

Edited by DavidM, 22 April 2013 - 09:36 PM.

#163 wonderofwood

wonderofwood
  • Coach
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:31 PM

This game coming in Sunday is where the kicking game can be the difference of coming home with some points or empty handed, I'm not a big fan of Forber but he has had a go this season but I think the glimpse of Callum at 7 shows we need to go for it! if big ginge is injured Connor may well carry on in the centre role but we will have him there at some point in the halfs! Wonder if briscoe fancys a second chance if in the centres or wing!!

callum & connor in the halves with lupton at loose and if big red is injured Hulme in the centres instead of an ageing has been

#164 Monkeydo

Monkeydo
  • Coach
  • 329 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:43 PM

Wonder how Olstrum would go at centre?

#165 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,315 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:46 PM

We seen him out wide last year and it didn't work .Id still like to see Hulme there as he looks such a fluent mover over the ground and would get more involvement offensively and be less exposed defensively . When Hulmes here id move him inside Mossop ,so far its been the other way round .

Edited by DavidM, 22 April 2013 - 09:54 PM.

#166 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,157 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:51 PM

karl has to play and start at loose. he has been our best player thid year and shouldnt be moved for anyone, no way does lupton deserve to start over olstrum.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#167 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,315 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:59 PM

They seem fixed on Lupton at 6 anyway , so that leaves one half spot up for grabs . They seem to want to give Connor that gig when injuries let them. In the longer term Connor and Callum must be the future.Lupton and Olstrum are different types of player , so its just how you want your team to set up .All coaches must decide which of the 2 types of loose forward they want to go with , the third pivot or strong ball carrier .
Olstrum is strong and direct and fits into how we play the power game , Lupton is more subtle and gives more creative dimensions and openings for players around him. Its an interesting debate in how to maximise your threat , but i see it as a 17man game , and everyone has an equal role to play. Sometimes the bench players are the most important .

Edited by DavidM, 22 April 2013 - 10:43 PM.

#168 wonderofwood

wonderofwood
  • Coach
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:18 PM

karl has to play and start at loose. he has been our best player thid year and shouldnt be moved for anyone, no way does lupton deserve to start over olstrum.

Id play him at Hooker with Matty and let callum play in the halves with connor- maybe rotating Olstrum,Phillips and Lupton during the game

#169 wonderofwood

wonderofwood
  • Coach
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:22 PM

We seen him out wide last year and it didn't work .Id still like to see Hulme there as he looks such a fluent mover over the ground and would get more involvement offensively and be less exposed defensively . When Hulmes here id move him inside Mossop ,so far its been the other way round .

Really haven't seen the quality of Hulme with the ball yet as hes been stuckon the wing for most of his time here. He can move, but by far his best feature are his hands and vision. I watched him as a youngster playing for warrington at stand off and his vision and passing range was suberb and probably what earned him a chance at Widnes

#170 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,791 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:29 PM

If in doubt bomb it is never a bad philosophy town4me ... Another plug for Connor !

ha ha yes David definitely. I would love to see Connor given a chance at 6

#171 unicorn106

unicorn106
  • Coach
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:00 AM

Just seen highlights, great tackle from Calum to stop squarepants. Very noticeable the amount of people still in the ground well after the final whistle, Must have beeen haven fans with a sadistic streak in them !!!!!

#172 homeandawayer

homeandawayer
  • Coach
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:15 AM

I don't see why Olstrum has to play loose , he could play second-row but that means moving Brett or Jarrad and i thought Shacks did well on Sunday.  It's good to have these problems , I just wish we had more of them in the backs. 

#173 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,315 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:02 AM

That's right . If we were as strong and quality loaded behind the scrum as we are in it we' d be a force in this league . The best teams have the power game to match us , but the difference is they have the speed , creativity and line breaking skill across the backline to get full value off it .

Edited by DavidM, 23 April 2013 - 11:07 AM.

#174 Oneday

Oneday
  • Coach
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:52 AM

Id play him at Hooker with Matty and let callum play in the halves with connor- maybe rotating Olstrum,Phillips and Lupton during the game

I'd go with that. Olstrum can still play the full 80 by moving to 13 when Lupton spelled. I also agree that Hulme should play inside Mossop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users