Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Salford Reds - New signings, rumours etc (merged threads)

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#1 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 972 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:41 PM

So who are the 10-15 players due to be signed by Salford? Rangi Chase would be a great signing for them but don't think he can get a visa, even starting to see rumours on Twitter that Benji Marshall may be heading over. Time will tell. 

It would be a real coup if they could bring back one of the brits from the NRL or a union convert I'd love to see Kyle Eastmond back in the game and he's also a local lad, plus we don't have enough quality half backs in this country and he could fill this void I think.

Let the wild speculation begin.

#2 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,186 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:07 PM

Just saw something on twitter regarding ISC supplying Salford players with compression gear. I'd suggest maybe we might see them supplying kit to the reds next season

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#3 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,699 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:31 PM

As a start we need a couple of props and a good 13.

The squad as a whole is too light and relient on the kids. There are a number of players reaching the end for me and I hope they are all replaced, not by the best but by an improvement.

Don't want Morley as a player either, he would be over paid and injury prone. I'd have him in a marketing role though.

#4 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,065 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:31 PM

What's Jordan James playing like?

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#5 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:33 PM

Is the speculation contained to Stephen Wild alone?

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#6 41hound

41hound
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:06 PM

I think the first moves should be - New contract for Jodie Broughton ASAP(he is class & his try on Saturday showed his pace)+ sign up Daryl Griffin & Gaskill on 2 year contracts.

We all have wish lists for our teams, but it is never simple with the small pool of players available. I think the top clubs will hang on to their best players - so it will come down to who is out of contract/disenchanted in the lower half of the table, NRL and maybe a top man from the Championship? I hope that having Brian Noble and an ambitious owner will help bring good players in.

Edited by 41hound, 15 April 2013 - 03:18 PM.

#7 41hound

41hound
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:15 PM

Is the speculation contained to Stephen Wild alone?

I hope not! Poor old Steve Wild, he is a unspectacular player who has been troubled by back problems - but he does his best. I think he will retire at the end of the season. I notice Martin Gleeson quickly replaced him as captain when Wild was injured and has retained it even after SW's return. We need a new face at loose forward and we have been discussing putting Foran there making room for a new stand off - Dobson would be a possibility if HKR wanted to sell? I would love the club to get Jason Batieri from Catalans in at 13 next year - a real handful!

Noble likes a big pack - so Griffin + 2 new props? But who would be available?

Edited by 41hound, 15 April 2013 - 03:21 PM.

#8 41hound

41hound
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:16 PM

What's Jordan James playing like?

Not too bad actually. But he is limited at this level I think. Like the rest of the team he has done his best in the circumstances.

#9 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:55 PM

With Noble as coach, expect all 15 to be 30+ year old Aussies. Is Michael Withers available?
Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,065 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:15 PM

Is that the same Noble and Withers that hold winners medals in the Grand Final, League Leaders Shield, World Club Championship and Challenge Cup?

Yes, Salford really are scraping the barrel.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#11 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 391 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:55 PM

I'd take young players from the bigger clubs. They'd be able to offer the young Wigan lads much bigger deals than they'd get if they stayed put and would be adding potential future stars rather than has beens or fringe rep players.

#12 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:52 AM

Wayne Bridge... he always moves to clubs that become rich.

Cummins Out.

#13 Segovia Carpet

Segovia Carpet
  • Coach
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:45 PM

http://www.mancheste...ds-boss-2636148

#14 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:04 PM

Is that the same Noble and Withers that hold winners medals in the Grand Final, League Leaders Shield, World Club Championship and Challenge Cup?

Yes, Salford really are scraping the barrel.

This is unrelated to Salford, but Withers was a nobody at NRL level, and if it wasn't for Noble signing him at Wigan, the game wouldn't have lost Chris Ashton to Union. Lets hope there is nobody at Salford lost to the game because of Noble's love affair with 30+ year old Aussies
Posted Image

Posted Image

#15 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,020 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:28 PM

This is unrelated to Salford, but Withers was a nobody at NRL level, and if it wasn't for Noble signing him at Wigan, the game wouldn't have lost Chris Ashton to Union. Lets hope there is nobody at Salford lost to the game because of Noble's love affair with 30+ year old Aussies

I'm sure plenty of Bradford fans will tell you what a good player Withers was and what a good career he had. It is possible for a young player to leave the NRL go to SL and improve you know. I could give you a list of big name Aussies that came over here but didn't have the impact on the British game that NRL "failures" like Withers.

#16 suzzy

suzzy
  • Coach
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:32 PM

God its amazing how the pundits come out of the wood work when someone throws monies at a club hope you don't get as high on your horse as the pie eaters down the road couldn't stand another set of whiners from the same area 

chappy

#17 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,997 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:44 PM

The obvious sources are the clubs who would welcome a transfer fee. The risk with young Wigan players is that Wigan have the best sense of who really will make it and will tie those up.
Wasn't Watkins from Manchester?
How about a couple of signings from less cashed up clubs, a couple of NRLers, the next Hill/Walmsley from the championship and a (risky) Wigan ooc youngster? They have some talented players already at the club.
I hope they get Bradford era Noble rather than the one at the end of his time at Wigan, who preferred Smith to Tomkins.

#18 THE RED ROOSTER

THE RED ROOSTER
  • Coach
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:20 PM

Chris Ashton was lost to Union as he was on a paltry £ 30K a season at WW his agent Andy Clarke (Brother of Phil) managed to double his wages at Northampton where he became an England star but was still on a low wage hence the move to mega bucks at Saracens.
CM

Ashton's wages at Northampton were believed to be in the region of £ 180,000, which is 6 x his Wigan Salary. He fell out with his Coach at Northampton so Northampton briefed the press he would be getting £ 250,000 from Saracens and alleged his agent wanted £ 300,000 from Northampton. He may not have the mega bucks some think...

Back on Rugby League, is it not great that the good Doctor has not simply sat back and simply funded Salford's losses as his hobby unlike some... but is actively looking to put the city Reds back on the map. My only reservation about Marwan is that the only winners coming from paper talk about potential signings are player agents as in the previous paragraph. Signing new players is one of those things best done in private. I am sure Nobby has a shopping list of some big and nasty forwards.

I am an oil trader and successful at that but, but marketing, finance, business management, human resources etc are not my strengths

David Hughes to Ian Lenagan Page 134 - A Pastel Revolution - Fletcher and Gordas - 2006

Being an outsider, it is easiest to see what is wrong with the sport. It's a fantastic sport that has been undersold and under-marketed  because people who run it probably want to keep it the way it is

Dr Marwan Koukash to Joanthan Lieu. Sunday Telegraph 9th March 2014

#19 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,699 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:21 PM

Salford have a number of good youngsters, what we need is some of the middle age 25-30 year olds. Need a couple of props.

There is a back story with Watkins and his brothers.

Noble hasn't won anything since 2008 ish. Interesting times

#20 clement

clement
  • Coach
  • 567 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:17 AM

Think he'll go for Morley and Higham.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users