Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Salford Reds - New signings, rumours etc (merged threads)

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#21 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 273 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:36 AM

who knows. The club will certainly have more chance of recruiting good players with Nobby on board. 

I think they will be wise to restart their academy and try and sign a few youngsters on the cheap, however I don't have a full understanding of the academy structures and restrictions on signing players from other clubs.

Any talented kid and his parents would see huge benefits by joining a newly established Salford Academy, providing it is well managed with talented coaches.

Bring in a few journeymen and a couple of stars for the short term, but the academy to me seems the cheapest and most fruitful option

#22 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,982 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:15 AM

After a brief look it seems Salford play in the Championship u20's competition. I think that will have to change, however it changes...

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#23 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 955 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:04 AM

Wouldn't be surprised if there was a handful of RU players brought into the Reds at some point.

Cipriani could be a good one, an exciting attacking player who can play at either stand off or full back, full back could be a perfect switch position for him actually. Would also be a big statement of intent from Salford and also RL at large.

His on field problem has always been his poor defense, particularly when he has aggressive wing forwards (so second rowers/ loose forwards) running down his 10 channel, but this could be less of an issue in RL where he could be moved into the outside backs on defensive sets. Actually I don't think his defense is any worse than Sam Tomkins'.

Unfortunately I can see salary being a big obstacle, unless he can be marquee exempted from the cap. Also not sure how committed he is to life in the North West given he always seems to be out in London with Kelly on his arm.

#24 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 921 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:57 AM

Brian Noble excited by Salford vision of success. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk..._medium=twitter

#25 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:57 AM

Why would an ambitous club sign Morley and Higham? We have a number of hookers we could keep before thinking about Higham.

Morley would only be signed as the local boy, his body is starting to tell him things. I don't buy this story of always wanting to play for Salford. He only wants to come when no one else offers him anything.

There are a number of rumours about dual code players, can't remember who was mentioned.

#26 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 921 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:04 PM

Salford Reds join the Nobility. 

http://www.mancheste...ckEXWMY.twitter

#27 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,158 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:56 PM

Why would an ambitous club sign Morley and Higham? We have a number of hookers we could keep before thinking about Higham.

Morley would only be signed as the local boy, his body is starting to tell him things. I don't buy this story of always wanting to play for Salford. He only wants to come when no one else offers him anything.

There are a number of rumours about dual code players, can't remember who was mentioned.

I can't disagree about Morley - his injuries are becoming more frequent, although hopefully this current one is a blip.

On Higham though, the question is, would he add something to your team, if the answer is yes, then he should be considered (for the right price etc.).

Higham has been excellent for Warrington, and I hope he doesn't leave, but all of Salford's signings won't be long term players, you will need to pick up a couple of short term signings to boost the squad.

#28 Cherry and White

Cherry and White
  • Coach
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:25 PM

owner & new coach are on Rugby League Extra on Thurs at 6pm.

HOLD ON TIGHT TO YOUR DREAM.

liverpool fc-rome 1977
wigan rl-wembley 1985
redsox-2004
GB RL-?????
Lancashire cricket 2011

#29 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:54 PM

I can't disagree about Morley - his injuries are becoming more frequent, although hopefully this current one is a blip. On Higham though, the question is, would he add something to your team, if the answer is yes, then he should be considered (for the right price etc.). Higham has been excellent for Warrington, and I hope he doesn't leave, but all of Salford's signings won't be long term players, you will need to pick up a couple of short term signings to boost the squad.

We may need some short term signings but another Hooker isn't the top priority, we have Godwin as the older head and Owen as the emerging player. Also a couple of others that can play there if required. We need a couple of big props and a Loose. Wild is showing signs of age possibly his last SL year/ 2 of Hull's tries could be down to him.

Edited by Red Willow, 17 April 2013 - 01:55 PM.

#30 Konkrete

Konkrete
  • Coach
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:31 PM

With Noble as coach, expect all 15 to be 30+ year old Aussies. Is Michael Withers available?

Michael Withers was British!
Integrity is shown when no-one is looking.

#31 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,499 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:37 PM

Why would we take Higham off Warrington's wage bill just to free up space for them to sign Clarke from Cas.

That sounds a**e end up to me.

#32 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:59 PM

Salford need to sign Daryl Clark asap, he should be the first signing they make on a three year deal.

#33 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 390 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:10 PM

Salford need to sign Daryl Clark asap, he should be the first signing they make on a three year deal.

Easier said than done though really. If Wire are interested then I'm sure he'd give them strong consideration over Salford. It's not out of the question that NRL teams might also be interested.

#34 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,158 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:50 PM

The thing with Clark is that whilst he looks really good, I think clubs need to be careful with big long contracts. 

I'm sure in the last couple of years the stock of players like Richard Owen, Greg Eden, Lee Gaskell, Jamie Foster etc. has dropped considerably. He is a young lad, and not necessarily somebody you should go all out to sign as a key player for a developing squad.

That said, I genuinely hope he is the real deal, I've liked what I have seen so far.

#35 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:59 PM

I suppose you're correct, although I think Gaskell has the potential to be England's number 6 but he's been badly used by Saints.

Clark just seems the only player who at the minute is realistically signable and would be classed as a good signing.

#36 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,158 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:16 PM

I suppose you're correct, although I think Gaskell has the potential to be England's number 6 but he's been badly used by Saints.

Clark just seems the only player who at the minute is realistically signable and would be classed as a good signing.

to be fair, the coaches know much more than us, the players I mentioned didn;t attract big bids etc. I think a lot of it is commentators and fans getting excited. That's part of the fun, but I just know if I was rebuilding a team I'd want established players in key positions.

That may be easier said than done though!

#37 TwoBlues

TwoBlues
  • Coach
  • 723 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:20 AM

http://www.mancheste...-should-2767382

#38 Middleman

Middleman
  • Coach
  • 205 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:42 PM

The thing with Clark is that whilst he looks really good, I think clubs need to be careful with big long contracts. 

I'm sure in the last couple of years the stock of players like Richard Owen, Greg Eden, Lee Gaskell, Jamie Foster etc. has dropped considerably. He is a young lad, and not necessarily somebody you should go all out to sign as a key player for a developing squad.

That said, I genuinely hope he is the real deal, I've liked what I have seen so far.

I don't see Clark as a risk , He's Roby-esque , a good tackler & off the mark speed .

Salford Have Godwin , and more importantly Gareth Owen 21, who is also an exiticing prospect , we also have 2 other hookers bubbling under , 1 on DR with Oldham .

Warrington have two old hookers ... no pun intended,30+'s  Higham & M Monaghan so need  a quality young replacement , it doesn't seem they have one within their own ranks so, they'll revert to type an steal a lower clubs talent .. ;)  

#39 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,158 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:58 PM

I don't see Clark as a risk , He's Roby-esque , a good tackler & off the mark speed .

Salford Have Godwin , and more importantly Gareth Owen 21, who is also an exiticing prospect , we also have 2 other hookers bubbling under , 1 on DR with Oldham .

Warrington have two old hookers ... no pun intended,30+'s  Higham & M Monaghan so need  a quality young replacement , it doesn't seem they have one within their own ranks so, they'll revert to type an steal a lower clubs talent .. ;)  

You heard of Brad Dwyer who we have out on loan at another SL club?

#40 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,499 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:30 PM

http://www.mancheste...-should-2767382

If Salford lose Long or Broughton it would be a huge step backwards.

We should get them both signed up before even starting to recruit elsewhere.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users