• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,748 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:46 AM

Farrell charges ahead

LIAM FARRELL continues to impress this season, leading the Albert Goldthorpe Medal table almost from the start of the season.

And a first-half hat-trick of tries in Sunday's 36-6 win over Bradford Bulls at Odsal surely took him one step closer to a coveted England World Cup jersey.

The ever-present Farrell has received no end of praise from all quarters this season.

He was part of England's squad for last year's end-of-season international competition with France and Wales, although he didn't figure in any of the three matches.

But he was named in England's Elite Training squad in March and England coach Steve McNamara has been impressed with the 22-year-old's form since.

"He's not doing himself any harm," said McNamara.

"His performances are of a very high standard and it's also the consistency of how he is knocking out those performances.

"It must be pleasing the Wigan staff, the player himself and it's certainly pleasing me as the England coach."

By RICHARD de la RIVIERE

Albert Goldthorpe Medal Table 2013

Liam Farrell    (Wigan Warriors)     16

Leon Pryce (Catalans Dragons)   14

Jarrod Sammut   (Bradford Bulls)     12

Richard Horne   (Hull FC)  12

Michael Dobson  (Hull Kingston Rovers)     12

Jon Wilkin (St Helens)     11

Kieran Dixon    (London Broncos)     10

Sean O'Loughlin (Wigan Warriors)     10

Kevin Sinfield  (Leeds Rhinos)  9

Jonny Lomax     (St Helens)     9

Sam Tomkins     (Wigan Warriors)     9

Rhys Hanbury    (Widnes Vikings)     9

Thomas Bosc     (Catalans Dragons)   9

Danny Brough    (Huddersfield Giants) 9

Click here to see the current complete Medal points table (PDF format).

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#2 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,157 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:57 AM

While this table has merits (and demerits) of it's own, if Leon Pryce keeps up his good form I wouldn't be averse to including him in the World Cup squad.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#3 Konkrete

Konkrete
  • Coach
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:20 AM

While this table has merits (and demerits) of it's own, if Leon Pryce keeps up his good form I wouldn't be averse to including him in the World Cup squad.

Really?

Watching Widdop at the weekend I was very impressed.  I've always had this nagging doubt that he's a bit of a 'water carrier' in that Storm team, but not any more.  His distribution is excellent, he's got a long and short pass, good step, is very quick and his tackling is light years ahead of Leon Pryce's.  I suspect his attitude will be better as well, but that's entirely subjective.  Sam Burgess ran at him the whole game and IIRC didn't get through him once - and that's saying something.

As a matter of interest Sam tweeded a photo of three passports the other day, all British - his one, George's and Ben Teo's.  Hmmm....

Integrity is shown when no-one is looking.

#4 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,157 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:24 AM

Really?

Watching Widdop at the weekend I was very impressed.  I've always had this nagging doubt that he's a bit of a 'water carrier' in that Storm team, but not any more.  His distribution is excellent, he's got a long and short pass, good step, is very quick and his tackling is light years ahead of Leon Pryce's.  I suspect his attitude will be better as well, but that's entirely subjective.  Sam Burgess ran at him the whole game and IIRC didn't get through him once - and that's saying something.

As a matter of interest Sam tweeded a photo of three passports the other day, all British - his one, George's and Ben Teo's.  Hmmm....

I meant the wider 24-25 man squad, certainly include Widdop.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#5 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,257 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:29 AM

I think it'll be tough for Farrell to move Jon Wilkin and Jamie Jones Buchanan out of second row in Steve Mcnamaras side.

#6 hutch

hutch
  • Coach
  • 401 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:35 AM

Always thought price would be a good centre. He is a natural runner of the ball, I don't think his ball skills and vision are good enough for an international five eighth.

#7 Konkrete

Konkrete
  • Coach
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:51 AM

I think it'll be tough for Farrell to move Jon Wilkin and Jamie Jones Buchanan out of second row in Steve Mcnamaras side.

I think that's a bit unfair. He hasn't even picked his team yet, and he's clearly not frightened of using NRL players. We might have Teo and Heighington in the second row yet, but it could be Ellis and Westwood. Plenty of players ahead of Farrell.
Integrity is shown when no-one is looking.

#8 Hullfan

Hullfan
  • Coach
  • 694 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:37 PM

Very strong in the back row England are, good options with Ellis Westwood Buerges Farrell Heighington Hock Tickle JJB & Wilkin. Inexperienced 3 quarters is our problem personally I'd play Ellis as a centre good runner and strong defencivley with bags of experience.

#9 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:21 PM

Always thought price would be a good centre. 

This.

My one reservation about Pryce is that he definitely has days when he just doesn't show up, something alluded to on Friday night. When he's switched on and in form, he can be devastating. However who would you rather have in one of the centre spots, Pryce or Watkins?

#10 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:53 PM

I don't care how deep the talent is in the second row, based on form there is no better claim for an England shirt than Farrell. However a lot can change by the Autumn.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users