Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

James mendeika

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
105 replies to this topic

#81 Shizonamy

Shizonamy
  • Coach
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:18 PM

Agree with the above post entirely. SL clubs gain but we don't!
"A lion sleeps in the heart of every brave man." Turkish Proverb

Posted Image

Posted Image

#82 GLENNGARY

GLENNGARY
  • Coach
  • 234 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:31 PM

Time and again we get the same argument from the same people over d/r and yet not one person has come on here to explain why championship clubs have been forced down the road of d/r.Well here goes. Once upon time in the distant past there was agreat game called rugby league. it could'nt compete with football for paying big bucks, but it was played with great spirit by working class men. Hard men who would do a shift down the pit and would then run themselves ragged for eighty minutes on the rugby field. The rewards were not great but the pride in there shirts and the game itself were all that mattered. Then the big bad rugby council decided they needed to compete with football, so they took a sword and with one foul swipe the cut the league in half. One half became full professionals and they became knights of the round table, lords and masters of the highest order. the other half became semi professionals surfs to there masters. The concil in there wisdom made sure that the lords and masters were well looked after and wanted for nothing the surfs on the other hand were made to bow and scrape to there masters any sign of the surfs producing promising players was soon stamped upon by the council and were handed to the masters as gifts. If the surfs didn't like it they were told it was hard linesand to go and produce some more youngsters for there masters. In the end the surfs were on there hands and knees and had to go and beg for help from there masters who in turn realised without the surfs there source of young blood would dry up so they allowed the surfs to be fed the odd crumb to keep there table well stocked. the moral of this story is that as long as you have professionals and semi professionals playing the same game you are going to get an imbalance that if not governed properly could implode with dire consequences for the game. so endith the lesson.

#83 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:32 AM

Excellent posting Glenngary. Since the introduction of Super League, the game as a whole has just gone down one, a hole that is.

Rugby league once WAS a great sport to be part of, but since adopting Australian methods galore, it has all downhill fast until we arrive at the awful dross we see in today’s game.

The RFL are the main culprits, as they colluded with their paymasters in the media business to sell their industry's soul in the pursuit of reaching the promised land of loadsamoney, big bucks etc.

:rolleyes:  

#84 eclecticsheep

eclecticsheep
  • Coach
  • 760 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:50 PM

Very Funny Glengarry! One could add of course that small but exclusive group of self regulated minor celebrity despots who with slick alacrity trouser the ever decreasing bribe(central funding that is)and, free from the trials of accountability and due diligence, play the role of the pied piper, with the soundbites and "New Dawns" an annual verbiage to their slowly eroding band of faithful sheep, who from time to time bleat and baa of former glories in happier times long gone (And NEVER to return in their own lifetime) when the game was purer and unsullied and Right.

Take up Fishing and ponder on weightier Issues like your own mortality and the inexorable passage of time...For at this juncture the beautiful game is Boll****! And the modern day Gym Monkeys are screwing every sky penny for themselves! And that you can rely on! LOL!!!

Disclaimer...This article not to be taken seriously for tis only a Jest! And I havent mentioned PhillH in it.....OOPS!

#85 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:15 PM

As another member of the "gang of 6" that are all supposedly 100% Swinton Lions players(!), Glenn Riley, plays for Warrington and scores a try for them in the Challenge Cup at Keighley. 

Total farce.

Rugby League - great game, shame about the administration.

#86 juliancaine

juliancaine
  • Coach
  • 445 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:25 PM

Lock this thread moderator i'm totally sick of it now, Dr we know sucks end of.

#87 Bryce

Bryce
  • Coach
  • 911 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:42 PM

Julian makes a fair point. This is absolute nonsense.

#88 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 934 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:07 PM

As another member of the "gang of 6" that are all supposedly 100% Swinton Lions players(!), Glenn Riley, plays for Warrington and scores a try for them in the Challenge Cup at Keighley.

Total farce.

Phillh, just for once would you answer a question with a short answer without resorting to camouflageing it with more questions please.

Are you or are you not still a Swinston supporter? If you are, do you still attend matches as if you do not could you please stop posting negative comments on our forum and go back under your bridge!

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#89 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 934 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:07 PM

I hate predictive texts!

#90 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:05 PM

The day we are selective about what is posted will be a very sad day! We express our opinions because we care about Swinton Lions and want to see our club achieve its potential and return to where it belongs.

#91 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:20 PM

So caring about Swinton means withholding your support financially. That surely causes much more damage than the club signing any players on loan.

#92 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:30 PM

I was a lottery agent as well you know and received a complimentary ticket so my non attendance is causing no financial hardship to the club whatsoever.As you well know Alan I promoted the club more than most both verbally and on the Internet and encouraged new and old supporters to rekindle their interest in the club.One such person is Sarah Trace who is well known to both of us and now operates the very successful Swinton Lions Family facebook page.So whether I attend or not,my legacy lives on!

#93 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 934 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:35 PM

The day we are selective about what is posted will be a very sad day! We express our opinions because we care about Swinton Lions and want to see our club achieve its potential and return to where it belongs.

Duffymoon, I have been on here advocating the same thing many times and even defended Phillh's freedom of speech. However I do object to idiots coming on here who follow other clubs and continually post non-constructive points. Hence I asked whether he still supported this club as he has openly stated he has lost his interest in the Lions. If he has, and started following another club then I have ASKED him to stop doing so as it furthers no purpose other than Trolling!
This is MY opinion!

#94 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:20 PM

So caring about Swinton means withholding your support financially. That surely causes much more damage than the club signing any players on loan.

Alan, if these 6 so-called "signings" from Warrington had been recruited under loan agreements, Swinton Lions would be in breach of the operational rules. The limit of 5 players in any match day 17 applies to the sum total of players that are either Dual Registered or loaned between the clubs in the partnership.

#95 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:25 PM

Alan, if these 6 so-called "signings" from Warrington had been recruited under loan agreements, Swinton Lions would be in breach of the operational rules. The limit of 5 players in any match day 17 applies to the sum total of players that are either Dual Registered or loaned between the clubs in the partnership.

Ok big fella....please show me and others exactly where Swinton have broken any rules....this argument is tedious and quite frankly if those who don't like it want to stop away then fine but for those of us who support Swinton unconditionally leave us to it there's a good chap.

#96 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 934 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:56 PM

As usual I see you don't answer the questions, just pose them. True politician at work!

#97 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:57 PM

Ok big fella....please show me and others exactly where Swinton have broken any rules....this argument is tedious and quite frankly if those who don't like it want to stop away then fine but for those of us who support Swinton unconditionally leave us to it there's a good chap.

I have not said that Swinton Lions have broken the rules.  What Swinton Lions and Warrington have done is cook up a way of working around the rules.

These 6 players have had the status of contracted Swinton players (i.e. they are not loan players).  If they had been playing as loan players Swinton Lions would've breached the 5 player limit (for the sum total of Dual Registered and loan players combined) several times this season.  The whole point of them having been given 12 month contracts with Swinton is so that they didn't count towards the limit of 5.

#98 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:02 PM

Phil, you worry way to much for someone who no longer supports the club.

#99 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:16 PM

Duffymoon, I have been on here advocating the same thing many times and even defended Phillh's freedom of speech. However I do object to idiots coming on here who follow other clubs and continually post non-constructive points. Hence I asked whether he still supported this club as he has openly stated he has lost his interest in the Lions. If he has, and started following another club then I have ASKED him to stop doing so as it furthers no purpose other than Trolling!
This is MY opinion!

In my opinion there are certain fundamental things that can make Swinton Lions a worthwhile entity to support.  These are the things that have inspired my support of the club for many years, plus many hours of campaigning on the topic of "back to Swinton".  If certain things are respected and done right the club still has the potential to make a positive impact on things I care about - like civic pride in the town and opportunities for young people from the town.  Thats why these things matter on a personal level.

To me its tragic that the regime presently in charge is not more committed to those things and is focussed instead on minimising costs, to the extent that the identity of the club is being undermined and traded off.  You reach a point where its better they be replaced, or at least must take a major change in direction.

There have to be somethings that make Swinton Lions unique, things that need to be cherished and define the very reasons why the club bears the name of the town despite not having played there for over 20 years.  I don't want to support an agenda that trashes those things.  Being asked to watch 8, or 9 or 10 Warrington reserve players running out in Swinton shirts is a disgrace.  It belittles the history and past achievements of the club.  It belittles the identity of the club.  It shows the people at the top who are doing this to the club have lost sight of the things that ought to matter.  They are not being clever by finding a way around the RFL's loophole ridden rules, what they are doing is exposing their own lack of morals and inability to develop the club in its own right.

#100 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:34 PM

Again one hundred and ten per cent correct Phil!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users