Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

DP to Cas?

• Please log in to reply
184 replies to this topic

#161 Andy Stennett

Andy Stennett
  • Coach
  • 324 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:17 AM

Clearly, DP has proved the ability to be a very good man manager.

I'm' certainly not close to the current situation but it appears that he would have preferred to stay, wasn't full of his own self importance and had the best interest of the club at heart.

Perhaps those who have managed him, need to take an extended look at their own man
management skills for the future.
Spanish Apartment for Holiday Rental in Spain Visit www.ownersdirect.co.uk
Ref: S8185
Mobile 07738 528178

#162 Maureen T-k

Maureen T-k
  • 5,168 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:54 AM

Spoke to Daryl in clubhouse last night, the guy looked as though he'd aged 10years in last few months, thats the delights of been a coach i suppose. He even remembered the conversation I had with him the first time I was formally introduced to him on his arrival. Daryl is a people's person and that shows in the way he conducts himself when around the fans.
We will probably never get to know the real truth as to what as happened behind the scenes, but I for one would like to thank Daryl for his contributions to what as been a most memorable time at Featherstone Rovers for me.
Also having read most of the comments made on the Facebook page, a lot of good positive comments about Daryl, but I cannot believe the mentality of others who have called him the vilest of names, they should hang their heads in shame!!

Still don't think amber & black will suit him though!!!!

Edited by Maureen T-k, 06 May 2013 - 08:59 AM.

Im Fev and im proud

#163 Ian (Pencil) Elliott

Ian (Pencil) Elliott
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:55 AM

So finally the chapter closes on the lad from Ackworth. I for one feel privileged to have experienced my team, being coached by such a man. A man I've had the pleasure of talking to on several occasions, without ever being shunned or belittled. This a man who made 35 caps for his nation, against the likes of Meninga, Stuart, Renouf, Sorenson, Graham et al.
When I returned to my beloved Featherstone Rovers in 2006 as they plumbed the depths of despair, little did I think then,what could almost be achieved now. This in large part because of the lad from Ackworth.
There are people saying that ' he's onni won one trophy'. Without realising Sir Alex had only done the same in the same time at Man Utd, and without the fate of Mark Robins' head on a cold January afternoon he, himself, may have been confined to the books of history.
How fickle fate can be?
Our favourite Lad, breaking our hearts in the NRC semi of 09.
The stray, delaying tab end or Ian's dropped ball in the 2010 Final. Yes Final, we got a final.
Andy's tap down on their line when, we would have been out of sight, had it fallen into Tommy's hands and not the unstoppable Worrincy's.
The final try that Liam couldn't quite convert, to make golden point irrelevant in the 2011 NRC semi, yes a semi..
The ecstasy of beating old Tubby's lot, on a dank, dark October Sunday.
The heartbreak.....Tommy's disallowed touchdown, just as we were getting a footholed back in the 2012 final.
All these experiences of highs and lows, thanks in part to the lad from Ackworth.
Thanks Daryl, all the best, I for one will never forget your contribution to our Featherstone Rovers
AV.

As usual Andrew a fantastic post
"You cant be scared of death. When that time comes, it comes....I've been blessed. God's looked out for me, so, I'm happy." -Sean Taylor, #21, Washington Redskins

#164 andyc

andyc
  • Coach
  • 367 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:56 AM

Here,here Maureen especially the last comment.

Spoke to Daryl in clubhouse last night, the guy looked as though he'd aged 10years in last few months, thats the delights of been a coach i suppose. He even remembered the conversation I had with him the first time I was formally introduced to him on his arrival. Daryl is a people's person and that shows in the way he conducts himself when around the fans.
We will probably never get to know the real truth as to what as happened behind the scenes, but I for one would like to thank Daryl for his contributions to what as been a most memorable time at Featherstone Rovers for me.

Still don't think amber & black will suit him though!!!!

WatchED Rovers since 74-75 seasons,as mad about rovers 35 years on(the wife thinks i,m mad).
ROVERS ROVERS

#165 knottla

knottla
  • Facebook
  • 96 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:21 AM

Maureen and Andrew two good posts.I just hope that whoever takes the job can continue to take this club forward.Finally thank you to Daryl for all that he has achieved here at the Rovers.

#166 DEANO

DEANO
  • Coach
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:53 AM

i would be very surprised if the next coach doesn't achieve as well as dp considering the amount of financial clout behind them.this is not a slight (cos i like fev)more of an observation

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

#167 Rarefrith

Rarefrith
  • Coach
  • 548 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:56 AM

Daryl has done a fantastic job at Fev and its a shame it ended this way. The board should have given him this season to try to deliver a grand final win. Clearly been on the cards with the fact that John Bastian was at the match yesterday already. I wish Bastian the best of luck but given that the job is such an attractive one it should have been advertised and the best applicant chosen. It stinks of jobs for the boys this unfortunately, hope he does well but being the youth coach at Warrington doesn't make him the outstanding candidate for the job. Hope the players aren't too gutted with what's happened. Mark Campbell and co have done a great job for Fev over the years, but this decision is too Abramovich for me, and i'm sick of seeing Feisals garbage on the website too, i'm greatful for his sponsorship money but he knows ###### all about rugby.

Edited by Rarefrith, 06 May 2013 - 09:57 AM.

#168 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,951 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:30 AM

How do you know that Liam? He's been involved with RL for a good few years now and appears to be enjoying it.
If it weren't for Feisal's backing, those great days out at finals and DSL would be nowt but empty bouts of tubthumping. When a bloke comes to our club and divvies up the kind of wad he already has done, he can put what he likes on there for me!!!

Advertising a post takes time and costs money. If the BoD already have in mind who they regard as the best man for the job, it makes much more sense to just appoint to me rather than go through the charade of interviews. 

Just remember, Daryl came to us with questions over his abilities to coach the club!
That nice Mr Neville Chamberlain was replaced by the hated Mr Churchill (without an election) to lead the country against Nazi Germany!
Sometimes it's just better to appoint the bloke you know who will do you a job and save a few auid doing it that way!

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#169 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:41 AM

i would be very surprised if the next coach doesn't achieve as well as dp considering the amount of financial clout behind them.this is not a slight (cos i like fev)more of an observation

Financial clout isn't always a guarantee of success. Look at Man United post Busby. They were the richest club in the land but went into decline, more recently Liverpool have had all sorts of money chucked at them but are a shadow of the Paisley days.

Team cohesion is paramount and Daryl achieved it in bucket loads. The closeness of the team could always be witnessed in the changing room 5 minutes after the conclusion of the match. You've only to see how he is with them when he gets his players on stage to realise the mutual, synergic rapport that they have with one another.

The problem is, apart from Tommy Saxton and Andy Kain, both of whom Daryl loved, the rest of yesterday's 17 and several who were injured are all Daryl's picks. Will they perform in the same way for another coach? Will the outgoing want to take any of his picks?

I can think of a thug who may be returning to his native land, a right bloke who could replace him.

That is the problem in my opinion.

Edited by Andrew Vause, 06 May 2013 - 10:52 AM.

#170 The Phantom Horseman

The Phantom Horseman
  • Coach
  • 253 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:15 AM

I can think of a thug who may be returning to his native land, a right bloke who could replace him.

That is the problem in my opinion.

under contract until the end of 2014 though I think?

#171 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:23 AM

under contract until the end of 2014 though I think?

Just remind me what these contracts ( or should I say 'Puppies on a Andrex roll' ) mean mate, could you?

#172 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,030 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:37 AM

i think it's obviously gonna be different now, but there's no reason why the results can't be just as good,or hopefully better.

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#173 The Phantom Horseman

The Phantom Horseman
  • Coach
  • 253 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:42 AM

Just remind me what these contracts ( or should I say 'Puppies on a Andrex roll' ) mean mate, could you?

LOL, fair enough, perhaps I'm just clutching at straws.

#174 peterworth

peterworth
  • Coach
  • 105 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:42 AM

Sometimes it's just better to appoint the bloke you know who will do you a job and save a few auid doing it that way!

We already had one of those, who was doing a lot more than a 'job' along the way. And, saving a few a few quid along the way by not advertising the post makes no sense either in the light of all the money that's been invested in the club in the last 5 years.

Looking at the evidence available from the outside, it would appear that Daryl has done what any one of us would have done and taken an opportunity to protect his livelihood before he was pushed.

I wish Daryl all the best at Cas and thank him for the memories.

I believe the club has lost a lot more than a good coach.

#175 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:52 AM

No one in there right mind would just appoint a coach until the position was advertised you don't know who the right man is until they apply and I would prefer someone like that than the club approaching them but I'm not the one making the desision because if I were we wouldn't be looking

#176 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,951 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:54 AM

He's gone now peter. Time for us to move on together mate. Lamenting the past will do us no good.... look at the post revie era at leeds.
If the bod have in mind the bloke who can do the job..well, and is available, I really don't see the need for advertising/interviews etc when they already have a preferred candidate. Just my opinion peter.
That's not to say I kniw if the bod will advertise or not. I don't know!
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#177 Bob Crowther

Bob Crowther
  • Coach
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:19 PM

Daryl has done a fantastic job at Fev and its a shame it ended this way. The board should have given him this season to try to deliver a grand final win. Clearly been on the cards with the fact that John Bastian was at the match yesterday already. I wish Bastian the best of luck but given that the job is such an attractive one it should have been advertised and the best applicant chosen. It stinks of jobs for the boys this unfortunately, hope he does well but being the youth coach at Warrington doesn't make him the outstanding candidate for the job. Hope the players aren't too gutted with what's happened. Mark Campbell and co have done a great job for Fev over the years, but this decision is too Abramovich for me, and i'm sick of seeing Feisals garbage on the website too, i'm greatful for his sponsorship money but he knows ###### all about rugby.

There is at the moment, a shortage of coaches, looking for positions, who could fill DPs boots. Knew several weeks ago that he was leaving, but surprised at his choice of clubs. Only hope he does not take one or two players with him.

#178 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,030 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:48 PM

cas advertised, cas interviewed, cas got millward.

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#179 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:00 PM

He's gone now peter. Time for us to move on together mate. Lamenting the past will do us no good.... look at the post revie era at leeds.
If the bod have in mind the bloke who can do the job..well, and is available, I really don't see the need for advertising/interviews etc when they already have a preferred candidate. Just my opinion peter.
That's not to say I kniw if the bod will advertise or not. I don't know!

Agree, advertisements and interviews are overrated anyway. In an interview, the candidates invariably say what the panel want to hear and often come across as bland and homogenous. Far better to make a decision based on what you know of the candidate, particularly if you have done your research.

#180 Phil Loxton

Phil Loxton
  • Coach
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:46 PM

It is also obvious the new mans immediate results will be measured against Powells marvellous record; The pressure will be on from the off...so the board will have to get this one right otherwise all the hard work could easily be undone;

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users