Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Boston Marathon Finishing Line Bombed

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#21 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:51 PM

My brother was reading his tweets yesterday, he mentions Boston Marathon not being a good place for smoking way back in August. And other posts alluding to greed and falseness. All very anti-capitalist.

Cummins Out.

#22 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,958 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:34 PM

A bit of that but there also seems to be the stereotypical Muslim immigrant fails to adjust to new society becomes more religious and turns to radicalism. It seems that the younger brother might have made a decent fist of living in the US if he didn't have an older brother.

They've an estranged sister who they haven't talked to in years because she married a non-Muslim. And auntie and dad who are claiming that it is all set-up because their kids wouldn't do something like that and an uncle who said they were losers and he is ashamed of them.

edit: and the younger one made some very "greedy" type tweets FWIW.

Edited by Northern Sol, 20 April 2013 - 05:36 PM.

#23 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,958 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:15 PM

And the governor of Chechenya says that it's nothing to do with Chechenya and even had a go at the Boston police for killing a Chechen. You couldn't make it up.

#24 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,879 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:42 PM

And the governor of Chechenya says that it's nothing to do with Chechenya and even had a go at the Boston police for killing a Chechen. You couldn't make it up.

They never lived in Chechenya so he may have a point.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#25 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,879 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:42 PM

Anyway, on the positive side, the spiritual side of Boston got itself going again under the guidance of Big Papi ...

- Severus, July 2012

#26 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,958 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:51 PM

They never lived in Chechenya so he may have a point.

No, but they certainly considered themselves Chechen and were dedicated to the cause that he once fought for.

#27 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,615 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:10 AM

I'm an atheist but I'm Christian by association, upbringing and lifestyle. Someone's got to say it, so it may as well be me.

The affluent countries of the western world have got to declare a moratorium on muslim immigration. A three year work permit, followed by review, followed by a six year work permit, followed by review, followed by a six year work permit,followed by review, followed by conditional  permanent residence status, should be the way forward.

If such immigrants end up with no significant criminal record and have worked full-time for twelve of those fifteen years, they could expect to gain citizenship. Benefit scroungers and political extremists could be refused a renewed work permit.

The muslim religious hierarchy has made far too little effort to stamp out triumphalism and encourage social integration. Third world ideas and prejudices belong in the third world. If they don't like the west, stay in the east.

Obviously, TRL's right-on brigade will pick up on the fact that I'm citing prejudice when I could be labelled with the same tag. However, let's face it, what would you be telling one of the poor maimed victims in Boston.

Would it be  that:

• such perpetrators represent an abnormal fringe of religious nutters within Islam. We mustn't tar them all with the same brush.
  • there has always been inter-denomination rivalry
  • we in the west have perpetrated terrible atrocities in the Middle East, so we can't complain when we suffer retributio
  • we must be ecumenical about all this. 
  • eventually, good will overcome evil

I suspect the response would be:

"Yeah, right on, but maybe you social scientists could tell me exactly where my legs  have gone?"

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#28 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,958 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:16 AM

The elder bomber had committed a crime (domestic violence) and should have been deported by the US' own rules on visas. Instead he was allowed to stay and given citizenship. The West needs to take warning signs more seriously. A third party government (not specified but probably Russia) even asked the USA to monitor him two years ago as they believed that he had become involved in Islamist activities.

#29 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,879 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:24 AM

TRL's right-on brigade

I'm confused.

It's not okay for anyone to even suggest that anybody else's opinion may be racist but it is okay for you to just splurge out generalist insults before anybody has even replied?
- Severus, July 2012

#30 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,879 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:27 AM

what would you be telling one of the poor maimed victims in Boston.

That they don't need to bother explaining how they feel about anything any more because somebody they don't know on the internet has decided it for them.
- Severus, July 2012

#31 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,958 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:36 AM

I think it is a bit too early to draw definite conclusions. This looks like your standard "Muslim immigrants refuse to integrate, become radicalised and start killing people" narrative but it's not yet known what role the greater Muslim community played in this (if any at all). AFAIK the US doesn't usually have the same problems with extremist mosques that we have in the UK. However, there is the distinct possibility that we have another example of "the religion of peace" being anything but.

#32 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,879 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:43 AM

I think it is a bit too early to draw definite conclusions. This looks like your standard "Muslim immigrants refuse to integrate, become radicalised and start killing people" narrative but it's not yet known what role the greater Muslim community played in this (if any at all). AFAIK the US doesn't usually have the same problems with extremist mosques that we have in the UK. However, there is the distinct possibility that we have another example of "the religion of peace" being anything but.

I'd be very surprised if they had much in the way of support as they seem to have been pretty shambolic both in execution and escape, as well as in getting any message across. From a British perspective they seem more like the Admiral Duncan bomber than the team behind 7/7. I suspect this isolation and incompetence may explain why the FBI didn't feel there was a threat.

You obviously can't ignore any aspect of how they came to be planting bombs under pressure cookers, including their religion, but I suspect what's going to come back is the Facebook status of "It's complicated."
- Severus, July 2012

#33 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,958 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:58 AM

No, the one thing that is clear is that this was not a major terror group.

#34 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:18 AM

I'm an atheist but I'm Christian by association, upbringing and lifestyle. Someone's got to say it, so it may as well be me.

The affluent countries of the western world have got to declare a moratorium on muslim immigration. A three year work permit, followed by review, followed by a six year work permit, followed by review, followed by a six year work permit,followed by review, followed by conditional permanent residence status, should be the way forward.

If such immigrants end up with no significant criminal record and have worked full-time for twelve of those fifteen years, they could expect to gain citizenship. Benefit scroungers and political extremists could be refused a renewed work permit.

The muslim religious hierarchy has made far too little effort to stamp out triumphalism and encourage social integration. Third world ideas and prejudices belong in the third world. If they don't like the west, stay in the east.

Obviously, TRL's right-on brigade will pick up on the fact that I'm citing prejudice when I could be labelled with the same tag. However, let's face it, what would you be telling one of the poor maimed victims in Boston.

Would it be that:

• such perpetrators represent an abnormal fringe of religious nutters within Islam. We mustn't tar them all with the same brush.
  • there has always been inter-denomination rivalry
  • we in the west have perpetrated terrible atrocities in the Middle East, so we can't complain when we suffer retributio
  • we must be ecumenical about all this.
  • eventually, good will overcome evil

I suspect the response would be:
"Yeah, right on, but maybe you social scientists could tell me exactly where my legs have gone?"

Jolly good, I'll tell the Missus about your considered thoughts and opinion.

LUNEW.jpg

#35 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,624 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:45 PM

Jolly good, I'll tell the Missus about your considered thoughts and opinion.

Good. All 'Moslems' are ethnically and culturally identical, so Wolford's decision to shoehorn these ethnic Chechens who have grown up in the US in with his well-aired views on ethnic Pakistanis in Bradford is completely reasonable. I hope your wife is suitably shamed.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#36 Li0nhead

Li0nhead
  • Coach
  • 742 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:03 PM

Why am i not surprised: 

http://www.independe...ya-8581341.html

Boston Marathon bombings: Czech Republic's ambassador 'concerned' by Americans confusing his country with Chechnya

Many tweets apparently confused the two countries, which are around 1,700 miles apart

#37 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:09 PM

Good. All 'Moslems' are ethnically and culturally identical, so Wolford's decision to shoehorn these ethnic Chechens who have grown up in the US in with his well-aired views on ethnic Pakistanis in Bradford is completely reasonable. I hope your wife is suitably shamed.

Well, my step kids have been labelled "Pakis" who should "go home" on a couple of occasions by the local inteligentsia's kids. But that's 8 year olds for you. It's when such ignorant, lazy, pathetic and bigotted attitudes persist into adulthood that disturbs me.

LUNEW.jpg

#38 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,872 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:31 AM

No, the one thing that is clear is that this was not a major terror group.

Quite. The likes of Al-Queda are never backward in coming forwards when it comes to taking credit for an attack. None of those groups have claimed any involvement.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#39 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,879 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:38 AM

Well, my step kids have been labelled "Pakis" who should "go home" on a couple of occasions by the local inteligentsia's kids. But that's 8 year olds for you. 

That really can't be nice at all - to put it mildly.

- Severus, July 2012

#40 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,950 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:06 PM

The surviving bomber has been charged with 'using a weapon of mass destruction' according to latest news reports.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users