TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Boston Marathon Finishing Line Bombed

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#61 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,463 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:05 AM

Well, this thread is spectacularly off-topic...

Here's a Daily Mail article on internet warriors getting it spectacularly wrong and why they should never be allowed to post anything but pictures of kittens.  Never believe what you read on the internet.

They haven't identified the body or when the poor sod died.  Bit premature to be blaming the (yes, I agree misguided) halfwits who made the link.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#62 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,843 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:23 AM

And does this story indicate whether there is more violent crime, less violent crime, or  the same level of violent crime than 10 years ago?

As a wag on twitter put it, "New study shows violent crime has fallen everywhere except in the Daily Mail."

In the past two years, offhand I can think of at least five murders in Bradford plus the crossbow cannibal shortly before that.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#63 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,153 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:28 AM

They haven't identified the body or when the poor sod died.  Bit premature to be blaming the (yes, I agree misguided) halfwits who made the link.

No?  I think it's perfectly timely to thrust the consequences of unrestrained and thoughtless vigilantism into the faces of those who slip into a faceless lynch-mob behind the anonymity of the internet.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#64 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,463 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:31 AM

No?  I think it's perfectly timely to thrust the consequences of unrestrained and thoughtless vigilantism into the faces of those who slip into a faceless lynch-mob behind the anonymity of the internet.

But the inference is what?  That he threw himself into the river because a mob was forming?  That's possible.  Those who named him without thinking should feel some guilt about that but ...  he's been missing since March.  His body may now have been found.  There's surely a better than even chance that he's been in the water since before anybody blew any bit of Boston up.

The Daily Mail whose writings were part of a media created frenzy that led to the death of a teacher could do well to avoid casting stones.

- Severus, July 2012

#65 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 8,167 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:40 AM

In the past two years, offhand I can think of at least five murders in Bradford plus the crossbow cannibal shortly before that.

And how many can you remember from the previous two years, and if you then go and check the figures how many were there?

Fortunately official crime stats are based on slightly more solid information than your memories.

God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#66 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,422 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:15 PM

Are there any data on Welsh immigrants to Yorkshire? They come here and take our jobs, take our women, our houses, pollute our culture with their harmonised community singing, maintaining their ancient chapel/church religious hatred.... They should go home and take their disgusting lava bread with them.....

LUNEW.jpg

#67 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,892 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:26 PM

Are there any data on Welsh immigrants to Yorkshire? They come here and take our jobs, take our women, our houses, pollute our culture with their harmonised community singing, maintaining their ancient chapel/church religious hatred.... They should go home and take their disgusting lava bread with them.....

Ah, but to a Welshman, England is that bit of East Wales which has had squatters move in. :P

Edited by Futtocks, 24 April 2013 - 12:26 PM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#68 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,843 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:29 PM

And how many can you remember from the previous two years, and if you then go and check the figures how many were there?

Fortunately official crime stats are based on slightly more solid information than your memories.

Took your advice.

• The police divide the city into nine areas.
  • As far as I can see there has been no significant increase or decrease in crime over the past few years
  • 7 of the areas are labelled "High" on crime rating
  • The Toller and Manningham area is classed as "Medium", even though there were two murders and an attempted murder there in 2012. :blink:
  • The remaining one, Airedale and North Bradford,  where I live is classed as "Low". However as a drug raid recently resulted in a near-neighbour dying of a shotgun wound, I suspect that our rating will be "Medium" next year.

Sorry to disappoint you.

#69 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,843 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:31 PM

It's laver bread actually, and all this was ours in the first place.

Bloody Saxons and Vikings!!

<_<

:D  :D

#70 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,422 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:33 PM

Ah, but to a Welshman, England is that bit of East Wales which has had squatters move in. :P

I expect they'll be burning more houses down then. Thats what *they* do you know all of *them*. All Welshies are terrorists at heart.

Edited by WearyRhino, 24 April 2013 - 12:35 PM.

LUNEW.jpg

#71 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,843 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:36 PM

I expect they'll be burning more houses down then. Thats what *they* do you know all of *them*. All Welshies are terrorists at heart.

Exactly, where is it that you live?

B)

#72 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,463 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:45 PM

Official figures quoted in the T&A about Airedale and Bradford North in 2011:

violent crime was down by more than 19 per cent, from 1,627 to 1,314;

- Severus, July 2012

#73 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 8,167 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:51 PM

Took your advice.

• The police divide the city into nine areas.
  • As far as I can see there has been no significant increase or decrease in crime over the past few years
  • 7 of the areas are labelled "High" on crime rating
  • The Toller and Manningham area is classed as "Medium", even though there were two murders and an attempted murder there in 2012. :blink:
  • The remaining one, Airedale and North Bradford,  where I live is classed as "Low". However as a drug raid recently resulted in a near-neighbour dying of a shotgun wound, I suspect that our rating will be "Medium" next year.

Sorry to disappoint you.

I took a look at UKCrimeStats.com and they agree with you, the city is divided into nine areas.

That's about it though, there's definite downwards trends on crime across the board.

Sorry to disappoint you.

God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#74 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,843 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:53 PM

Official figures quoted in the T&A about Airedale and Bradford North in 2011:

violent crime was down by more than 19 per cent, from 1,627 to 1,314;

Yes, but we are the only area classed as "Low" for crime-profile.

No trumpeting from the WY Police press office about the other areas of the city.

Or about the fact that, apart from theft, motoring offences are not classed as crimes.

#75 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,843 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:17 PM

I took a look at UKCrimeStats.com and they agree with you, the city is divided into nine areas.

That's about it though, there's definite downwards trends on crime across the board.

Sorry to disappoint you.

Well, I haven't gone through all the figues, and there does seem to have been an upswing-and-downswing in 2011, but there is admittedly an overall drop of 3% in total crime since 2013.

We still have a Feb 2013 average (even when we were snowbound) of 135 crimes per day. Reducing that from 139 crimes per day is hardly a major reduction, especially in a city where much crime is not even investigated.

#76 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,843 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:25 PM

When it comes to crime in Bradford, this bloke has got the full house. Good job Manningham is only rated at Medium crime status.

http://www.thetelegr...ningham/?ref=ec

#77 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,463 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:09 PM

And bringing it back to the US ...

0.007% of Moslems in the states are jihadists

- Severus, July 2012

#78 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:45 PM

That's not what it says. 0.007% of Muslims have been charged in terror plots in the US since 9/11. Not quite the same thing.

Edited by Northern Sol, 24 April 2013 - 06:46 PM.

#79 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,843 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:58 PM

'Using Bergen's figure of 203 jihadist terrorists, that means approximately 0.007 percent of Muslims in the United States have been involved in domestic terror plots since 9/11'.

203 terrorists is 203 too many, irrespective of the percentage.

#80 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,463 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:44 PM

'Using Bergen's figure of 203 jihadist terrorists, that means approximately 0.007 percent of Muslims in the United States have been involved in domestic terror plots since 9/11'.

203 terrorists is 203 too many, irrespective of the percentage.

Indeed, it is 203 too many.

You appear to have no comment about the higher figure. The one of white right-wingers.
- Severus, July 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users