Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

gore and lawton land new deals at widnes.

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:56 PM

It would appear they are highly rated at widnes. I would hope to see lawton in a town shirt again this season.

#2 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,169 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:22 PM

Me to . Real beast in the making . Would give tremendous impact off the bench , and at last some real equal cover for our two lads who give it everything week in week out running out wide ,and take ( yes give to ! ) tremendous punishment . Even Trojans need a spell now and again , and you want similar impact from your replacement . Lawton ticks all the boxes .

Edited by DavidM, 16 April 2013 - 01:26 PM.

#3 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,914 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:26 PM

I watched him against Cas and I thought he did okay for his debut.    It got me thinking that in years to come England (or GB) could see the likes of him and Alex Walmsley packing down in the second row.     Now what a sight that would be!!

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#4 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,169 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:29 PM

I was gonna say Brett Phillips ... But has he took the tartan !!!! He's good enough for us if he keeps up this development and makes the top ! In a full time environment and all that entails he'd be inferior to no one .I wanna see the Burgess boys sticking it to the Aussies in the WCup this year . If we stay clear of injury we have a very strong 17 ... The difference is of course that the Aussies needn't worry about injuries , they can bring countless players in of equal quality .

Edited by DavidM, 16 April 2013 - 01:41 PM.

#5 widnesrlfc

widnesrlfc
  • Coach
  • 243 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:56 PM

Told you lot that Lawton would sign for Widnes.Told me wants to Captain his home town team and is a great lad too.If you want him he will play for you again.Gore has ability but not had much game time.Ashame no reserves like the u20s where can play so many over age.Blame the RFL.

#6 Bring back the wall

Bring back the wall
  • Players
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:25 PM

Why would Brett go full time when he`s on 40k at Sellafield and good money at Town,cant see Widnes or many SL clubs paying much more.It is a short career in RL need to think of life after 30.

I was gonna say Brett Phillips ... But has he took the tartan !!!! He's good enough for us if he keeps up this development and makes the top ! In a full time environment and all that entails he'd be inferior to no one .I wanna see the Burgess boys sticking it to the Aussies in the WCup this year . If we stay clear of injury we have a very strong 17 ... The difference is of course that the Aussies needn't worry about injuries , they can bring countless players in of equal quality .

#7 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,169 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:41 PM

Well maybe I'm naive , but in general terms I'd have thought most talented young players would like to make it to the top of the tree and see how far they can take their talent . It is a short career , go as far as you can . Look at Lunty , you can end up playing Australia in
Sydney . Live the dream if you're good enough . Great to proudly watch local talent representing top clubs and country . Not ushering anyone out , just musing on good players grabbing a chance and taking it to the max. I'll stay in that naive romantic world !!

Edited by DavidM, 16 April 2013 - 09:01 PM.

#8 widnesrlfc

widnesrlfc
  • Coach
  • 243 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:14 PM

If he has experience of work at Sellafield and can go back to it then i would go fulltime. If was offered £40,000 first year and £60,000 next 2 years might be worth a shot, as you get lots of free time been a fulltime player.More fun doing a hobby andgetting paid for it.Rather do a sport and get paid than do same thing for 40 years.

Edited by widnesrlfc, 16 April 2013 - 09:16 PM.

#9 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:34 PM

Why would Brett go full time when he`s on 40k at Sellafield and good money at Town,cant see Widnes or many SL clubs paying much more.It is a short career in RL need to think of life after 30.

Maybe he'd do it for the same reason that he signed for Town because it wasn't money that made his decision to sign its his desire to be as good as he can be in the sport
Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

#10 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,169 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:46 PM

Absolutely.You listen to the stories of the oldtimers who've won leagues , been to wembley and been on tour etc... so many memories and openings which their talent offered them to opportunity to have . Look at Lunty now , town to Wembley to Oz and matching up with
Cameron Smith . Sad day when boom youngsters arent striving for such chances and memories . If youre good enough , go for it .Of course individuals have differing circumstances , but if the risk is taken and you flourish it can be one hell of a ride !

Edited by DavidM, 16 April 2013 - 09:48 PM.

#11 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:51 PM

It's win win for Town because the clubs stock has never been as high with local amateurs after the success of Brett Callum Rooney etc the club now offers a pathway to something special which is a massive change to how it was perceived 5-10 years ago
Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

#12 wonderofwood

wonderofwood
  • Coach
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:38 PM

Told you lot that Lawton would sign for Widnes.Told me wants to Captain his home town team and is a great lad too.If you want him he will play for you again.Gore has ability but not had much game time.Ashame no reserves like the u20s where can play so many over age.Blame the RFL.

They had to get Adam singed up as a replacement for Allen , especially when they lose hock as well next year . Big opportunity for a player with bags of potential

#13 Bring back the wall

Bring back the wall
  • Players
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:52 AM

Well if he is good enough he will get the chance,just echoing the thougts of Dennis Betts.

#14 widnesrlfc

widnesrlfc
  • Coach
  • 243 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:41 PM

They had to get Adam singed up as a replacement for Allen , especially when they lose hock as well next year . Big opportunity for a player with bags of potential

Allen is staying and your source that going?We all knew Hock was just for the season to be honest.

#15 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,169 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:47 PM

If Dave Allen leaves will he say to Widnes ... ' good night and may your god go with you '...

#16 widnesrlfc

widnesrlfc
  • Coach
  • 243 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:52 PM

If Dave Allen leaves will he say to Widnes ... ' good night and may your god go with you '...

Widnes lad who wants to play for his Town.Anyway players come and go and no player is bigger than a club.Great player but not world class and seems a wind up.

Edited by widnesrlfc, 17 April 2013 - 04:53 PM.

#17 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,169 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:10 PM

No idea mate , just wanted to get that joke in , but maybe your to young to get the reference !!!!

#18 fester

fester
  • Coach
  • 515 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:19 PM

Lawton scored tonight

#19 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,169 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:49 PM

Lawton hat trick !

#20 widnesrlfc

widnesrlfc
  • Coach
  • 243 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:35 PM

Lawton had a good game and will be a quality player.Isa,Leuluai,Wintersteine, and Ah Van where awful.