What A Farce

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#21 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:21 PM

Is U14's/15's/16's/18's and 2nd team the premium solution or just your preference?

I think it's close enough to what we have now to be feasable, We already have the U14s, U15s & U16s its whats happening beyond that which is farcical.

My preference would be to have U17s, U19s and then a version of the old 'A' team

#22 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,161 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:46 PM

He isn't even registered with Warrington, nevermind in their first team squad! Interesting job to have though, training with Warrington when you don't play for them/aren't registered with them. :wacko:

Isn't the dual registration between the clubs about sharing facilities and knowledge as well as just sharing players. Is it not possible he's training at Warrington as part of the Swinton team.

#23 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,950 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:18 PM

Isn't the dual registration between the clubs about sharing facilities and knowledge as well as just sharing players. Is it not possible he's training at Warrington as part of the Swinton team.

I, perhaps mistakenly, always thought players signed to the Championship club could train with the Super League side as part of the partnership agreement.  I guess, if correct this was intended so any prospect from the Championship could benefit/test the water of the Super League set up as part of the agreement.  But the reality is obviously somewhat different!

With regard wages, is there anything to stop Swinton playing a player a part time players wage and then a Super League club employing them in a part time community/development role?  Not saying for a second that is happening, but I guess it could do.

A lot of "guessing" going on, but I'm not alone judging from threads on here/other forums/social networks!  Not a fan of DR at all.

#24 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:18 PM

Quite possibly he is for some of the time if Swinton are using Warrington's facilities. The OP quotes he is training with Warrington (along with 5 other Swinton contracted payments) on a full time basis however, which means he isn't just training with Swinton, but with Warrington too.

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#25 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:20 PM

A lot of "guessing" going on, but I'm not alone judging from threads on here/other forums/social networks! 

Perhaps most of the guessing is because the rules appear as clear as mud. :lol: 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#26 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,728 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:50 PM

I think it's close enough to what we have now to be feasable, We already have the U14s, U15s & U16s its whats happening beyond that which is farcical.

My preference would be to have U17s, U19s and then a version of the old 'A' team

But why is this a good system? Is it based on any science?

Anybody can make up different age brackets and say this is right, stop messing with it.

#27 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:05 PM

A team players want paying. Super League clubs can't afford to pay any more players. Super League is making a mockery of Rugby League. I lost all interest in it after about the third season, but now they are ruining the Championship as well with this ridiculous dual reg farce. All credit to North Wales Crusaders, and the other clubs who refuse to take part in it.

#28 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:31 PM

But why is this a good system? Is it based on any science?

Anybody can make up different age brackets and say this is right, stop messing with it.

Yes it's based soundly in maturation science, introduces specificity at the correct times and allows challenge at the appropriate levels of development.

Players can be identified and provided with a periodised training programme to aid, control and monitor their level of development.

Without kidnapping young players and sending them to a communist style gulag where they're mercilessly honed into the perfect rugby league payer, it's as good as it'll get.

#29 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,728 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:50 PM

Yes it's based soundly in maturation science, introduces specificity at the correct times and allows challenge at the appropriate levels of development.

Players can be identified and provided with a periodised training programme to aid, control and monitor their level of development.

Without kidnapping young players and sending them to a communist style gulag where they're mercilessly honed into the perfect rugby league payer, it's as good as it'll get.

because you say so? Is this system affordable for RL in this country?

#30 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,980 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:19 PM

I think some posters are missing the point in this thread.   Back at the start of the season when dual registration was announced the rule was that any number of SL players at a club could be dual registered but only 5 could be named in any match day 17 players.

Warrington and Swinton announced that six players, which included Mendieka, had been dual registered with Swinton.   On the Friday before the first match it was announced that Paul Wood, Tyrone McCarthy and James Laithwaite had been dual registered and would play in the first game on Sunday aagainst Workington.    It was only when people asked questions about this that it was announced that the six players previously named had now all become Swinton players and were no longer Warrington players and so the six players plus the other three named played in the first game.

This last week Warrington announced that their player Mendieka was to go on loan to London Broncos and then tried to explain this decision as saying that he was actually going on loan from Swinton.   The question here is "how could Warrington make this announcement if the player was a genuine Swinton player, as stated?".    Surely, the RFL can see that this is a loophole that the two clubs fully exploited and needs looking at now for the remainder of this season and not waiting until next season before dealing with it.  

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#31 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,728 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:23 PM

Nobody is missing the point. We are aware of the issue.

#32 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:13 PM

Its a forgone conclusion that a PR statement from Mr Rimmer will declare DR a success at the end of the season.
That statement will be published at such a point when there is more important (to the RFL) Rugby League news going on.

its a clear as day that the system has been abused. The RFL choose to sit back and do nowt.

#33 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,297 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:27 PM

Nobody is missing the point. We are aware of the issue.

Not good enough, you should throw your arms up in horror and demand Warrington are banished to Union for life.

On a serious note, there is apparent confusion as to what has actually happened and Warrington do have questions to answer as to why they are making announcements about players who are not theirs and London should be asked who have they done a deal with.

This smacks of early salary cap shenanigans, its only when people try and beat the system you find the loopholes ( see tax law ad infinitum ). Warrington seem to be first off the mark this time.

Its no drama, and if Warrington have stepped out of line then a suitable punishment should be used, though there may not be one available, if they have just beaten the system then a hole needs plugging.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#34 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,728 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:08 PM

Not good enough, you should throw your arms up in horror and demand Warrington are banished to Union for life.

On a serious note, there is apparent confusion as to what has actually happened and Warrington do have questions to answer as to why they are making announcements about players who are not theirs and London should be asked who have they done a deal with.

This smacks of early salary cap shenanigans, its only when people try and beat the system you find the loopholes ( see tax law ad infinitum ). Warrington seem to be first off the mark this time.

Its no drama, and if Warrington have stepped out of line then a suitable punishment should be used, though there may not be one available, if they have just beaten the system then a hole needs plugging.

yep

#35 Spidey

Spidey
  • Coach
  • 479 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:57 PM

Just to add a bit more fuel to the fire, Warrington's sqaud for the weekend:

4 Ryan Atkins, 29 Danny Bridge, 10 Garreth Carvell, 17 Mike Cooper, 24 Ben Currie, 13 Ben Harrison, 14 Micky Higham, 20 Chris Hill, 1 Brett Hodgson, 21 Tyrone McCarthy, 5 Joel Monaghan, 9 Michael Monaghan, 7 Richie Myler, 23 Gareth O'Brien, 2 Chris Riley, 31 Glenn Riley, 11 Trent Waterhouse, 22 Rhys Williams , 16 Paul Wood

#36 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:12 PM

On a serious note, there is apparent confusion as to what has actually happened and Warrington do have questions to answer as to why they are making announcements about players who are not theirs and London should be asked who have they done a deal with.

This smacks of early salary cap shenanigans, its only when people try and beat the system you find the loopholes ( see tax law ad infinitum ). Warrington seem to be first off the mark this time.

We are back to the "spirit of" the process like when Wigan broke the salary cap. It seems Swinton signed these players from Warrington, supplemented by further Warrington players on DR, but are now loaning them back to Warrington on demand.

Leaving aside the SL club issues, there are bigger implications in the Championship. Barrow are trying to develop local young players - it's possible they could be relegated trying to do the right thing while a club that blatantly exploits the loopholes of the system and doesn't even have a squad of their 'own' players stays up. That can't be right or acceptable surely ? It'll be interesting to see how many 'Wire' players play in the cup for Swinton this weekend, or will their real parent club not want them cup tied ?

#37 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,728 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:14 PM

As part of the DR link up, can Warrington play any Swinton players, or is it only the other way round?

#38 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:19 PM

As part of the DR link up, can Warrington play any Swinton players, or is it only the other way round?

Well any club can loan a player at anytime so I'd say the answer is yes but it wouldn't need to be part of the DR process, just a standard loan agreement. For example, at Workington we have a promising 18 year old forward called Jack Gaskell who isn't getting much game time, so we've loaned him to Widnes so he can play in their U19 team.

#39 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,728 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:22 PM

Well any club can loan a player at anytime so I'd say the answer is yes but it wouldn't need to be part of the DR process, just a standard loan agreement. For example, at Workington we have a promising 18 year old forward called Jack Gaskell who isn't getting much game time, so we've loaned him to Widnes so he can play in their U19 team.

I was asking more on the DR system which means a loan agreement isn't needed and can be done on a flexible basis.

It would be good if somebody would explain all this as the RFL is obviously allowing the registration of these players.

#40 intheshed

intheshed
  • Coach
  • 408 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:23 PM

Reasonably sure DR can only go from SL to Champs but not got op rules to hand to confirm. A SL club can however loan a player from a champ club, which is presumably how Glenn Riley finds himself in Wire's squad this weekend. It will, or at least should, mean he cant go back to Swinton for 4 weeks though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users