Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

What A Farce

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#41 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,150 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:39 PM

Reasonably sure DR can only go from SL to Champs but not got op rules to hand to confirm. A SL club can however loan a player from a champ club, which is presumably how Glenn Riley finds himself in Wire's squad this weekend. It will, or at least should, mean he cant go back to Swinton for 4 weeks though.

Wasn't there a change to the loan process which allows for weekly loans? I may have made that up!!

#42 intheshed

intheshed
  • Coach
  • 406 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:14 PM

Wasn't there a change to the loan process which allows for weekly loans? I may have made that up!!

Judt managed to get at the operational rules without pdf so:

Dual reg def only allowed from SL to champs.

Looks like there has been a change to the min 28 day loan but only where the agreement precludes the player being used in 1st team games.

#43 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,808 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:36 PM

Judt managed to get at the operational rules without pdf so:

Dual reg def only allowed from SL to champs.

Looks like there has been a change to the min 28 day loan but only where the agreement precludes the player being used in 1st team games.

Operational Rule C1:2:16c says...

the loan shall be for a minimum period of 28 days, save where the loan agreement states that the player may only play for Reserve or Academy teams (in which case the minimum period shall be 48 hours)

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#44 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:56 PM

Operational Rule C1:2:16c says...

the loan shall be for a minimum period of 28 days, save where the loan agreement states that the player may only play for Reserve or Academy teams (in which case the minimum period shall be 48 hours)

Which would come into play for the kid on loan at Widnes from Workington, but not in the case of Glenn Riley as he is in the Wolves first team squad for Sunday, is that right?

Posted Image

#45 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,808 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:10 PM

Which would come into play for the kid on loan at Widnes from Workington, but not in the case of Glenn Riley as he is in the Wolves first team squad for Sunday, is that right?

That's be my interpretation of it.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#46 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:13 PM

That's be my interpretation of it.

Splendid. Clear as day! :D

Posted Image

#47 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:20 AM

because you say so? Is this system affordable for RL in this country?

FFS!

Go do some research then and when youve put the hours in and got the qualifications you can come back and admit that I was right.

#48 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,150 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:55 AM

FFS!

Go do some research then and when youve put the hours in and got the qualifications you can come back and admit that I was right.

so youve researched that this is affordable and sustainable for RL?

I assume if this theory is 'fact' that every major sport utilises the above system?

Edited by Dave T, 20 April 2013 - 07:16 AM.

#49 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,364 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:08 AM

Once again the RFL have allowed a can of worms to manifest and still just shut their eyes hoping it will go away. Sorry but the RFL should be coming out and making a statement one way or another and saying exactly what the case is and clearing any misunderstandings out. Is he a Warrington player? is he a Swinton player? And if he is a Swinton player why is the news announnced on the Warrington Website if he has NO connections to Warrington? I dont blame Swinton, Warrington or London for the mess. The problem lies in the fact that the Dual regs system is not very clear and its clear certain clubs are using loopholes and trying to get around things for their benefit-which you would expect from any club. The RFL for me should have made it very clear regarding the Dual regs and loans at the beginning. As it currently stands its make the rules up as and when a situation arises. How can the game and competition like the Championship have much respect when such situations are allowed to happen and nothing really done to make it clear what the exact situation is.

#50 Havenwarrior

Havenwarrior
  • Coach
  • 600 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:20 AM

More confusion as a Wire player? Maybe a Swinton player returns to the Wire

But he has returned to Warrington on loan and made a dream try-scoring debut in a 74-4 Tetley’s Challenge Cup fourth round tie at Keighley on Sunday.

The move has put him out of contention for next week’s Championship clash between Swinton and Haven, shown on Premier Sports, as initial loans are always for a one-month spell.

“I’m a bit gutted because you want to play against people you know, when it’s your hometown club,” said the 21-year-old.

“Swinton have a new coach Gary Chambers and when he puts his systems in place I think they will be a really good side.

“It will be a really close game, tough for both sides, and a good one to watch.”

While the official line is that he is a registered Swinton player on loan with the Wolves, their partner club, he is a full-time pro and considers himself still a Warrington man.

And he is now hoping to start to make his mark with the top-flight club this term.

The former Wath Brow Hornet was last week linked in the press with New Zealand Warriors, and he revealed there had been contact from the Aussie NRL club, though he is not planning a move Down Under in the near future.

“They spoke to my agent and asked if I would ever be interested in going to Australia in the future.

“It’s nothing for the immediate future, more long-term, down the road a couple of years,” said Riley, from Moor Row.

“It’s a dream to play in Australia and something I would definitely consider.”

#51 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:17 AM

As a Swinton fan it stinks to high heaven that an alleged permanent signing admits that he is essentially a "Warrington man".just so glad I no longer attend games.

#52 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:07 PM

Is Ryan Shaw a swinton player or a warrington player? 

#53 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:19 PM

I believe he is a permanently signed Swinton player

#54 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:32 PM

I believe he is a permanently signed Swinton player

he is still on the warrington website as a 1st team player thats all.......

cmon warrington update you're website! :blink:

#55 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,698 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:46 PM

People can post on here about this situation as many times as they want but unless people express their opinions through the proper channels nothing will be done about it.

I sent an e-mail to Jonathon Roberts, Director of Performance and Coaching, who was charged with setting up this dual registered system.    I asked about the Mendeika loan to Broncos and how it was announced by Warrington, even though the player was "supposedly" a Swinton player and it was changed to the official line that Swinton loaned the player to Broncos.   The player himself was quoted as saying that Tony Smith rang him and told him about the loan agreement.   

Then Glen Riley was said to be going on loan from Swinton back to Warrington but in the local newspaper in Cumbria it was being said that although the official line was that he was signed by Swinton he still considers himself as a Warrington player as he trains full-time with them.

I said in my e-mail that it did not look as if either club had broken any rules but the general perception was that they were not acting within the spirit of the system and it was a way of Warrington getting games for "their" players, albeit signed by Swinton, and I asked how anyone at the RFL could say that the integrity of the Championship was not being affected.

The reply I received said, "I understand your point.   We are discussing the issue.  The regulations are not being miss used but I do understand the perception is different and this does not assist in a positive manner.   I will revert back.    Regards Jon Roberts."

Will anything change between now and the end of the season?    I doubt it, but I feel sure that there will be changes for next season but will that be too late for a club, who played within the spirit of the system, being relegated.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#56 intheshed

intheshed
  • Coach
  • 406 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:38 PM

People can post on here about this situation as many times as they want but unless people express their opinions through the proper channels nothing will be done about it.

I sent an e-mail to Jonathon Roberts, Director of Performance and Coaching, who was charged with setting up this dual registered system. I asked about the Mendeika loan to Broncos and how it was announced by Warrington, even though the player was "supposedly" a Swinton player and it was changed to the official line that Swinton loaned the player to Broncos. The player himself was quoted as saying that Tony Smith rang him and told him about the loan agreement.

Then Glen Riley was said to be going on loan from Swinton back to Warrington but in the local newspaper in Cumbria it was being said that although the official line was that he was signed by Swinton he still considers himself as a Warrington player as he trains full-time with them.

I said in my e-mail that it did not look as if either club had broken any rules but the general perception was that they were not acting within the spirit of the system and it was a way of Warrington getting games for "their" players, albeit signed by Swinton, and I asked how anyone at the RFL could say that the integrity of the Championship was not being affected.

The reply I received said, "I understand your point. We are discussing the issue. The regulations are not being miss used but I do understand the perception is different and this does not assist in a positive manner. I will revert back. Regards Jon Roberts."

Will anything change between now and the end of the season? I doubt it, but I feel sure that there will be changes for next season but will that be too late for a club, who played within the spirit of the system, being relegated.

Lucky you. 2 weeks after my initial enquiry and one follow up email later I'm still waiting for a reply or even acknowledgement of receipt.

#57 Havenwarrior

Havenwarrior
  • Coach
  • 600 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:07 PM

Seems up and coming player Lee Briers could be turning out for Swinton on Thurs night, really good move for the good of the game.

HW

#58 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,863 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:13 PM

Seems up and coming player Lee Briers could be turning out for Swinton on Thurs night, really good move for the good of the game.

he's a marquee player you know.

#59 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,150 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:01 PM

HW

aye - the clubs who voted to scrap 2nd teams want shafting.

#60 donald

donald
  • Coach
  • 530 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:04 PM

HW

and young mr morley too

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users