TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Barrow island vs walney

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 MABOWN

MABOWN
  • Coach
  • 154 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:37 PM

maybe hotly should be watching this match to pick up some of the local lads, Steve Hoylands lad spencer is a tallent to watch. He has been saying he's goin to tear walney apart, he also said there all soft and will get bullied by him.

#2 Bearman

Bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,621 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:30 PM

Here's an idea.
Why not play games like this as curtain raisers before a Barrow home game. Give the clubs a percentage of the gate and a little bit of the bar takings to make up for lost revenue. Make a lot of noise about it being a big day. Give away plenty of freebie tickets to school kids and make sure there is plenty of pop and sweets for sale and maybe a bit of face painting and a bouncy castle to make a few bob.
Invite all the local amateur teams to come along with big discounts by showing their membership cards. Give Barrow AFC season ticket holders a big discount or even let them in for free. Make it a long day with things going on in the Raiders bar. A race night or Elvis appearing later in the evening. Make sure there are enough staff on duty behind the bar so that the beer ( and money ) keeps flowing.
Pay a few bob to get a decent compere and build an atmosphere so that the punters want to come back again and again.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#3 shawy13

shawy13
  • Coach
  • 246 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:23 PM

Might be better to get the Raiders to play at Rating Lane as the curtain raiser

#4 MABOWN

MABOWN
  • Coach
  • 154 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:51 PM

Might be better to get the Raiders to play at Rating Lane as the curtain raiser

. Never mind curtain raisers lets talk about this big game, I wonder if Craig McKinnon will bring out his secret weapon Lloyd Williams, he is a bit of a handful and surely would cause the walney side some problems with his offload game.

#5 livo

livo
  • Coach
  • 888 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:52 PM

Here's an idea.
Why not play games like this as curtain raisers before a Barrow home game. Give the clubs a percentage of the gate and a little bit of the bar takings to make up for lost revenue. Make a lot of noise about it being a big day. Give away plenty of freebie tickets to school kids and make sure there is plenty of pop and sweets for sale and maybe a bit of face painting and a bouncy castle to make a few bob.
Invite all the local amateur teams to come along with big discounts by showing their membership cards. Give Barrow AFC season ticket holders a big discount or even let them in for free. Make it a long day with things going on in the Raiders bar. A race night or Elvis appearing later in the evening. Make sure there are enough staff on duty behind the bar so that the beer ( and money ) keeps flowing.
Pay a few bob to get a decent compere and build an atmosphere so that the punters want to come back again and again.

Some fine suggestions Bearman and I'm not having a go at you here.

I think I'm right in saying that the pitch has to be free an hour before kick off so that means we would have to open at least 3 hours before the main event.

As for doing stuff in the Raiders Bar, our bar staff do plenty without payment and they aren't complaining. But if they are going to be needed to do extra, then that would have to be looked at.

Giving Barrow AFC season ticket holders big discounts or letting them in for free. What about our season ticket holders. I think they would be a bit peeved.

I do agree with free tickets for kids. Get their parents in aswell.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there are only so many hours in the day and finding volunteers to do it all is hard.

FACEBOOK PAGE: Barrow raiders Bar. Follow for promotions and up to date events.

#6 livo

livo
  • Coach
  • 888 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:58 PM

Mabown. Sorry for posting on this thread.

FACEBOOK PAGE: Barrow raiders Bar. Follow for promotions and up to date events.

#7 Bearman

Bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,621 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:02 PM

Some fine suggestions Bearman and I'm not having a go at you here.
I think I'm right in saying that the pitch has to be free an hour before kick off so that means we would have to open at least 3 hours before the main event.
As for doing stuff in the Raiders Bar, our bar staff do plenty without payment and they aren't complaining. But if they are going to be needed to do extra, then that would have to be looked at.
Giving Barrow AFC season ticket holders big discounts or letting them in for free. What about our season ticket holders. I think they would be a bit peeved.
I do agree with free tickets for kids. Get their parents in aswell.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that there are only so many hours in the day and finding volunteers to do it all is hard.

No offence taken mate.
I know it's hard. The trouble is we all find a willing horse and then we flog it to death. Volunteers are the lifeblood of the club and there are never enough of them.
I'm just trying to be a bit creative. Perhaps we could approach AFC and have a 1 match reciprocal agreement for season ticket holders after all, at least in theory with us playing in the summer we are not in direct competition with them.

Edited by bearman, 16 April 2013 - 08:03 PM.

Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#8 joe142

joe142
  • Coach
  • 395 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:56 PM

I think this one should be a cracker hope the ref doesn't play too big apart like they usually do at rating lane ;)

#9 bangbang

bangbang
  • Coach
  • 534 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:34 PM

Looks like the Isalnd are up against it.

Mr Terry Bewley is the man in the middle :unsure:  :unsure:  :blink:  :wacko:  :unsure:

Surely the best local ref should have been appointed for this fixture...................Sir Jimmy Bridle

Rip the bludgers heads off!

#10 Death to the Rah Rah's

Death to the Rah Rah's
  • Coach
  • 468 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:11 AM

That looked like one hell of a tussle yesterday and a great advert for Cumbrian rugby league, did anyone watch it?

#11 barrowbob

barrowbob
  • Coach
  • 410 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:27 PM

That looked like one hell of a tussle yesterday and a great advert for Cumbrian rugby league, did anyone watch it?

Yeah, was good game, walney were worth the win.
Bet there's some sore bodies that woke Sunday morning after the game!

#12 bluenwhite9

bluenwhite9
  • Players
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:30 AM

Another game ruined by foolish and clueless referees. How the last try for island can be given by the referee only for the touch judge to call a forward pass (which it wasn't) for it to be disallowed is beyond me. Good game tho and a great advert for our game in Cumbria

#13 drewjak

drewjak
  • Coach
  • 121 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:35 AM

It was a brilliant game to watch  some real big hits with some outstanding play from both teams, unfortunately the ref was being told what to do by the walney supporters and the touch judge`s !!

Still an enjoyable afternoons rugby  with a big crowd also, would have been great to watch at craven park.

#14 walneyboy

walneyboy
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:26 AM

Another game ruined by foolish and clueless referees. How the last try for island can be given by the referee only for the touch judge to call a forward pass (which it wasn't) for it to be disallowed is beyond me. Good game tho and a great advert for our game in Cumbria

looked forward from where i was stood,  but maybe i wasn't wearing barrow island blinkers!!

#15 walneyboy

walneyboy
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:27 AM

It was a brilliant game to watch  some real big hits with some outstanding play from both teams, unfortunately the ref was being told what to do by the walney supporters and the touch judge`s !!

Still an enjoyable afternoons rugby  with a big crowd also, would have been great to watch at craven park.

haha, drewjak or should i call you jeffo??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users