Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Beer at rugby league grounds

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#21 Jeff Stein

Jeff Stein
  • Coach
  • 196 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:38 PM

I thought it was Greed Thing IPA on at the Stoop rather than Pride. I stick to Guinness there,

Skolars are doing different real ales at each of the games.

Hemel had Red Kite from the Vale Brewery on for the Gateshead game, which was interesting.

#22 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,852 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:40 PM

If there is one that sells a decent pint I've yet to come across one in all my years of following footie

Salford City Stadium had a Caledonian ale on tap when I went there Friday night. Sold out by half time though.
Fides invicta triumphat

#23 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,852 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:41 PM

Each to there own, Pride is a decent pint

Seconded, London Pride is a fine ale.
Fides invicta triumphat

#24 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,065 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:08 AM

Dad was let down there was no Guinness at Odsal on Sunday, usual fizzy lager though, dunno if it's only temporary. I think there is movement afoot at t'Bulls to have guest ales and whatnot.

I'm not surprised though, it must be supply and demand and cost, if you don't ask you don't get, then one man's nice pint is another man's pint of pish. They won't be able to win in the end.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#25 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:31 AM

Seconded, London Pride is a fine ale.

It's not bad at all, hats off to London for having it on

#26 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,065 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:48 AM

What beer would people like to drink at matches?

I'm sure if clubs were made aware of this then eventually changes may be made.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#27 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,843 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:52 AM

I'm in a way pleasantly surprised that there is at least some, although i shouldnt be because its not enough

You could always buy  bottle of black sheep at the Phoenix Bar at Hunslet, and there was one of the friendliest armosphere's as well-no cliques, no dourness, but I never saw hand pulled beer there. Big Al or Tracey would always know what I likedand have it poured as soon as I walked in.

The beer at my old club has never been less than rank.

there used to be intermittent real ale at Cougar Park, another club with a good social atmos.

I don't know why people have an issue with London Pride: it's better than John Smith's smooth or the ought to be illegal caffreys and washing up water lager. and of course the Stoop is a Union ground.

I think clubs are missing a trick. There are lots of small breweries turning out some great beer on draught and in bottles it's a shame that a connection can't be made.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#28 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,843 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:53 AM

anything interesting out of hand pumps

Keeping it local

#29 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,065 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:22 PM

It's probably down to the fact people buy enough of the cheap stuff. I don't tend to drink at games so it doesn't affect me directly but I'm sure clubs would be open to the suggestion.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#30 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:38 PM

Real Ale......perhaps something from a local brewery

#31 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,365 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:47 PM

It'd be nice to have some linkup between clubs and their local breweries, but is the demand for real ale enough, compared to the lager market?

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#32 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:49 PM

Real Ale......perhaps something from a local brewery

I don't pretend to know anything about the catering in large RLFC stadiums but would there be a problem keeping real ale?
The sterilised pish in pressurised casks lasts for ever.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#33 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,843 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:02 PM

I don't pretend to know anything about the catering in large RLFC stadiums but would there be a problem keeping real ale?
The sterilised pish in pressurised casks lasts for ever.

Well the big union clubs do it
It's a question of having skilled bar staff
Keeping it local

#34 Cardigan Arms

Cardigan Arms
  • Coach
  • 550 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:03 PM

Leeds Pale handpulled is available at all Hunslet home games at £2-80 a pint. Leeds Brewery are one of Hunslets sponsors. The beer is always in tip top condition.

#35 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,065 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:04 PM

Leeds Pale handpulled is available at all Hunslet home games at £2-80 a pint. Leeds Brewery are one of Hunslets sponsors. The beer is always in tip top condition.

Do you reckon this is down to having smaller crowds though? And so could perhaps work with a lower volume and more refined product?

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#36 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,701 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:08 PM

It's just about being creative - Warrington just have some portable stalls which sell ale.

#37 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,065 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:10 PM

It's just about being creative - Warrington just have some portable stalls which sell ale.

See my post just previous to yours...

Smaller crowds. :P

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#38 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,843 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:18 PM

great beer great price way to go well played Darren Williams and his team
Keeping it local

#39 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:36 PM

It'd be nice to have some linkup between clubs and their local breweries, but is the demand for real ale enough, compared to the lager market?

The demand appears to be growing......people seem to be growing tired of the same old pishy Carlsberg etc, even young lads seem to be turning to Ale rather than lager these days

#40 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,365 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:52 PM

The demand appears to be growing......people seem to be growing tired of the same old pishy Carlsberg etc, even young lads seem to be turning to Ale rather than lager these days

Good news but remember; if you don't ask, you don't get. Make your club aware of the demand with a polite request (not a "Why oh why oh why?" missive) and see if they are willing to do something about it.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users