Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Beer at rugby league grounds

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#41 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,991 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:59 PM

Dats wot I sed.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#42 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,872 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:07 PM

Dats wot I sed.

Understood. It was a general suggestion to all fans.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#43 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,991 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:16 PM

Understood. It was a general suggestion to all fans.

That's ok then, now you take the left side of the pennines and I'll take the right.

Onward, real ale soldiers.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#44 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,166 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:48 PM

As much as a like a decent ale, given it's an 80 mile round trip for me by car to home games, it really doesn't matter to me what alcohol is on sale. :(

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#45 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,879 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:56 PM

Clubs needs to make a profit.

They should sell whatever they can store cheaply and sell in quantity for profit.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#46 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,281 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:22 PM

They should sell whatever they can store cheaply and sell in quantity for profit.

True
But other sporting and social organisations seem to manage this
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#47 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,879 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:34 PM

True
But other sporting and social organisations seem to manage this

It is true that certain other sports seem more obsessed with catering than with the quality of the on-pitch product.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#48 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,281 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:21 PM

It is true that certain other sports seem more obsessed with catering than with the quality of the on-pitch product.

well aye

but the people turn up and they spend their cash.

Keeping it local

#49 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,950 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:32 PM

The demand appears to be growing......people seem to be growing tired of the same old pishy Carlsberg etc, even young lads seem to be turning to Ale rather than lager these days

On Radio 2 a couple of weeks ago there was a business report that said that sales of golden ales and beers had overtaken larger in pubs.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#50 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,950 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:04 PM

well aye

but the people turn up and they spend their cash.

Also, why can't we have the best of both.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#51 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:16 PM

Hemel had Red Kite from the Vale Brewery on for the Gateshead game, which was interesting.

Tasty too; hope that one stays for a while.

#52 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,384 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:20 PM

On Radio 2 a couple of weeks ago there was a business report that said that sales of golden ales and beers had overtaken larger in pubs.

Really? Didn't know that....I'm just going off observations of my friends and work colleagues....we're all in our early 30's....and everyone seems to be right over the whole lager/cider thing.....some of my younger brother's mates are also getting a whiff and they're mid-20's......a few yrs ago it seemed only blokes in the 40yrs+ range were into real ale

#53 TomHemelStags

TomHemelStags
  • Players
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:34 PM

Come to Hemel. Amazingly well looked after beer. And a free house so always an interesting choice on tap.

#54 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:46 AM

It'd be nice to have some linkup between clubs and their local breweries, but is the demand for real ale enough, compared to the lager market?

Good point, but the real ale market has consistently seen growth over last few years, whilst all other drinks have been in decline.

Basically it is extra work for the clubs to put real ale on,
•It takes longer to pour and serve - you can't really have several pints prepoured.
•It needs to be kept well - not a problem if you know what you ae doing but a lot of people ( even in the trade) think you need so kind of degree to to this.
•there can be a lot of wastage since once the cask is opened it last about 3-4 days max, and the barrel can't be moved so any left over will not be ok for the next match and cannot be sold.

So the are a lot of issues that the clubs really don't want to be bothered serving real ale at matches. Also considering the prices at matches I don't think many people will be prepared to pay any big supplement on a pint.

#55 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:30 AM

Hence Carling in Plastic bottles at £3 or £4 a pop, which is recycled back from the toilets
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#56 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,167 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:26 AM

Lots of snobbery around beer - I find it a very strange thing.

People will drink what they are happy with. Carlsberg would never be my beer of choice, but at matches if I fancy a lager I will have a couple.

Drinking Ale is no more sophisticated than drinking lager, I enjoy the odd ale and trying new ones when I am out, but 90% of the time I would go for lager. Live and let live.

#57 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,281 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:51 AM

Lots of snobbery around beer - I find it a very strange thing.

People will drink what they are happy with. Carlsberg would never be my beer of choice, but at matches if I fancy a lager I will have a couple.

Drinking Ale is no more sophisticated than drinking lager, I enjoy the odd ale and trying new ones when I am out, but 90% of the time I would go for lager. Live and let live.

Nobody is saying witchpiss shouldn't be on sale as well
Keeping it local

#58 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,167 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:03 AM

:lol:  fair enough.

#59 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,166 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:04 AM

Exactly. Wider choice is what would be nice.

As an aside, I remember being told many moons ago about how the human body is an amazing thing; it can turn a pint of a quality bitter into a premium Australian lager. :D

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#60 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,281 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:41 AM

Exactly. Wider choice is what would be nice.

As an aside, I remember being told many moons ago about how the human body is an amazing thing; it can turn a pint of a quality bitter into a premium Australian lager. :D

when the kangaroos toured in I think 1990 they were sponsored by castle mains XXXX
The players were given gallons of the stuff for free
One of the Australian players remarked at how amazed he was that sebody could train a cat crouch over an empty beer can
You don't see castlenaine these days so life isn't all bad
Keeping it local

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users