Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Beer at rugby league grounds

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#61 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,797 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:45 PM

Lots of snobbery around beer - I find it a very strange thing.

People will drink what they are happy with. Carlsberg would never be my beer of choice, but at matches if I fancy a lager I will have a couple.

Drinking Ale is no more sophisticated than drinking lager, I enjoy the odd ale and trying new ones when I am out, but 90% of the time I would go for lager. Live and let live.

I would have said the same perhaps 10 years ago, but after turned approx 30years old I got more into ales. I just got fed up with soapy tasting stella and Kronbourg etc despite obviosly enjoying getting leathered.

I think real ale tastes better and is more interesting to drink. Drinking cold lager is good in high summer but really it is to either cool down or get lagered or both.

Real ales all the way for mine. No reason not to do it. A huge beer tent should be at every ##### rugby ground!

#62 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,085 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:50 AM

A huge beer tent should be at every ##### rugby ground!

(I dare not tell him there's one at Odsal...)

;)

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#63 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,827 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:56 AM

I would have said the same perhaps 10 years ago, but after turned approx 30years old I got more into ales. I just got fed up with soapy tasting stella and Kronbourg etc despite obviosly enjoying getting leathered.

I think real ale tastes better and is more interesting to drink. Drinking cold lager is good in high summer but really it is to either cool down or get lagered or both.

Real ales all the way for mine. No reason not to do it. A huge beer tent should be at every ##### rugby ground!

I agree there would appear yo be a market for it so the clubs should certainly look at it. Not sure how practical a beer tent is - if it was outside the ground they wouldnt have a license.

You get plenty of fancy ales and ciders etc in bottles nowadays, surely a couple of guest beers cpuld be tried each week?

I expect the margins are higher on carlsberg and tetleys!

#64 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:11 PM

Well the big union clubs do it
It's a question of having skilled bar staff

Yeah I worked in a pub for a few weeks once so know a little about keeping ale (not much though!)

My point was if the place is only open every fortnight you might have a problem keeping tapped barrels hence the comment about SL clubs. If the bar is open every day (union clubs?) then no problem.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#65 Li0nhead

Li0nhead
  • Coach
  • 749 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:10 PM

Cannot seem to get a decent bottle of wine at grounds either...

#66 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:26 PM

Copenhagen RLFC have linked up with The Black Swan beer bar, which have plans to bring beer to their games next year.

http://www.blackswanbar.dk/

@copenhagenblack1

https://www.facebook...genRlfc?fref=ts

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#67 TomHemelStags

TomHemelStags
  • Players
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:56 PM

Again with wine, ale and lager come to Hemel to get good beer!

#68 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:17 PM

I rarely drink at games, don't have the bladder capacity and end up missing too much action (that may be more info than you needed).

However, despite my love of a decent ale, it does take a while to do properly and I doubt I'd have the patience (nor would those in the queue behind me), so I'm happy with some Aussie lager etc.

Agree with the comment about wine, never even seen any for sale anywhere. I'd be more tempted by a glass or three of Prosecco than I am by either ale or Aussie swill.

#69 Hemel Rugby League

Hemel Rugby League
  • Coach
  • 122 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:25 PM

As well as the usual range of lagers(Carlsberg, Becks Vier, Stella £3.10 pint) we offer seven days a week:

Cask Ales

Greene King IPA (a session ale) £2.20 pint

Vale Brewery (Buckinghamshire) Red Kite premium ale (£2.80pint)

We vary our cask ales from time to time

Cider

Kingstone Press Draught (£3.10 pint)

Kingstone Press 50cl Pet (£3.10)

Wines

Single Serve

Chardonnay

Pinot Grignio

Sauvingon Blanc

Rose (Zinfandel)

Merlot

All at £3.10 for 175 ml

Sparking

Cremant de Bougogne (Pinot Noir & Chardonnay)

Rose

Both at £12 for 75cl

We also offer:

Coffee

Cafe Creme

Cappucino

Moccachino

Hot chocolate

As well as a top value pre-match meal!

(Booking essential - limited availability)

#70 Ackydave

Ackydave
  • Coach
  • 127 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:37 PM

As well as the usual range of lagers(Carlsberg, Becks Vier, Stella £3.10 pint) we offer seven days a week:

Cask Ales
Greene King IPA (a session ale) £2.20 pint
Vale Brewery (Buckinghamshire) Red Kite premium ale (£2.80pint)
We vary our cask ales from time to time

Cider
Kingstone Press Draught (£3.10 pint)
Kingstone Press 50cl Pet (£3.10)

Wines
Single Serve
Chardonnay
Pinot Grignio
Sauvingon Blanc
Rose (Zinfandel)
Merlot
All at £3.10 for 175 ml

Sparking
Cremant de Bougogne (Pinot Noir & Chardonnay)
Rose
Both at £12 for 75cl

We also offer:
Coffee
Cafe Creme
Cappucino
Moccachino
Hot chocolate

As well as a top value pre-match meal!
(Booking essential - limited availability)

Class!

if Hemel can do it, why not others? I can't drink very much these days but I do enjoy a pint or two of good ale.
Someone mentioned London pride earlier in the thread which drew a mixed response; personally I love it.

There's room for the good beer and the witches urine (not so sure about the Aussie sat pee tho)

#71 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,096 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:43 PM

Class!

if Hemel can do it, why not others? I can't drink very much these days but I do enjoy a pint or two of good ale.
Someone mentioned London pride earlier in the thread which drew a mixed response; personally I love it.

There's room for the good beer and the witches urine (not so sure about the Aussie sat pee tho)

I presume Hemel have a 7 day a week club house on the ground. Its a bit trickier with a stadium bar, but not impossible.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#72 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,085 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:33 AM

Hemel for Super League!

I think the reason they can do this is because, with the greatest respect, they aren't catering for thousands. The reason these ales are better is because they aren't done in mass production nor on the cheap.

But I'm all for it, if clubs can build a fanbase on another footing then the two (booze and rugby) could grow together.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#73 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,149 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:35 AM

I'd be more tempted by a glass or three of Prosecco than I am by either ale or Aussie swill.

I'm not sure I'm man enough to drink a flute of fizz at the rugby.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#74 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,956 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:40 AM

That's something I only do indoors, behind closed curtains....
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#75 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,149 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:43 AM

That's something I only do indoors, behind closed curtains....

Balls. I've seen your YouTube channel.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#76 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,085 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:06 AM

It's all they do on the Cross-Code forum.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users