Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Clubs aiming beyond their capabilities

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 278 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:54 PM

In my opinion......

Cats, Tigers and Fev would all be far better suited as Championship rivals feeding into one Super club, much in the same way Balmain and Wests now work.

If the Super League is to live up to its title then unfortunately some clubs and their supporters need to realise that for the good of the game, their place belongs in the Championship and that super franchise clubs are key for Rugby League growth, profile and sponsorship.

Any club that does not have the potential to pull regular 15k+ crowds for regular season fixtures should slowly be relegated to Championship.

Clubs I feel that have the potential include:

Leeds

Wigan

Saints

Wolves

Broncos

Hull

Bulls

(super cats, cas and fev club)

Dragons

Salford

A 10 team comp. More TV money for less clubs, stronger playing pool of SL players, more intense games, less competition to find major sponsors, less games in a season opening way for international/rep calendar.

After some stability over say five years, perhaps bring in 2 new clubs that will have the potential for 15k+ fans like a second and third French club.

But like I say, that's just my opinion.....

#2 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,378 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:59 PM

In my opinion......

Cats, Tigers and Fev would all be far better suited as Championship rivals feeding into one Super club, much in the same way Balmain and Wests now work.

If the Super League is to live up to its title then unfortunately some clubs and their supporters need to realise that for the good of the game, their place belongs in the Championship and that super franchise clubs are key for Rugby League growth, profile and sponsorship.

Any club that does not have the potential to pull regular 15k+ crowds for regular season fixtures should slowly be relegated to Championship.

Clubs I feel that have the potential include:

Leeds

Wigan

Saints

Wolves

Broncos

Hull

Bulls

(super cats, cas and fev club)

Dragons

Salford

A 10 team comp. More TV money for less clubs, stronger playing pool of SL players, more intense games, less competition to find major sponsors, less games in a season opening way for international/rep calendar.

After some stability over say five years, perhaps bring in 2 new clubs that will have the potential for 15k+ fans like a second and third French club.

But like I say, that's just my opinion.....

Name any one from your list that has ever achieved nore than one seson on plus 15,000 crowds. You are not parksider's brother are you?

#3 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 278 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:19 PM

Well I did say has the POTENTIAL to achieve REGULAR 15k+ crowds. Perhaps I misused the word regular, but my thoughts were consistently over 10k with perhaps one third to half of home gates at 15k. Does that class as regular????

A stronger, tighter competition with less fixtures in a season would be a big help to increase crowds, as would competitive London and Salford clubs. 

#4 Rioman

Rioman
  • Coach
  • 371 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:30 PM

Ooh look, another "let's merge Cas. Wakey and Fev" topic, :rolleyes:

#5 red dwarf

red dwarf
  • Players
  • 54 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:42 PM

It's funny on here

#6 red dwarf

red dwarf
  • Players
  • 54 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:46 PM

Surely the best way to expand your business is to aim beyond your capabilities ?

#7 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 278 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:46 PM

Sorry Rioman, haven't really been on here before and didn't notice any articles in the recent history.

Tell me, what pressing issues would you like to discuss that have not been aired previously?

#8 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 278 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:47 PM

surely that is the best way to fail

#9 red dwarf

red dwarf
  • Players
  • 54 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:49 PM

surely that is the best way to fail

Better to fail aiming for the stars , than succeed in aiming for the stairs

#10 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:54 PM

I smells me a troll...

#11 Rioman

Rioman
  • Coach
  • 371 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:01 PM

Sorry Rioman, haven't really been on here before and didn't notice any articles in the recent history.

Tell me, what pressing issues would you like to discuss that have not been aired previously?

Take your pick, but the 'merger' idea has been done to death, usually by supporters of clubs other than the three in question

#12 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 278 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:34 PM

Best to succeed by understanding your limitations and rectifying them than to fail by acting recklessly and irresponsibly

#13 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,892 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:43 PM

You could always climb to the top of the stairs.

If your rocket fails in outer space you're f**ked.

Edited by Old Frightful, 16 April 2013 - 09:44 PM.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#14 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 278 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:44 PM

Take your pick, but the 'merger' idea has been done to death, usually by supporters of clubs other than the three in question

Well you are right, I am not a supporter of any of those clubs, but nor am I an outright supporter of any.

I suspect that most of the topics that interest me have been discussed at some stage like international eligibility, lack of RFL/SLE investment for expansion clubs, promotion and relegation vs closed competition, rules and regulations, RLWC venues, RLIF weakness and poor international calendar. 

Maybe there are not many hot off the press stories that interest me at the moment...

#15 red dwarf

red dwarf
  • Players
  • 54 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:57 PM

Best to succeed by understanding your limitations and rectifying them than to fail by acting recklessly and irresponsibly

Once you start giving yourself limitations , you've already failed

#16 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,169 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:58 PM

Surely the best way to expand your business is to aim beyond your capabilities ?

Beyond your current capabilities maybe.

#17 red dwarf

red dwarf
  • Players
  • 54 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:59 PM

You could always climb to the top of the stairs.

If your rocket fails in outer space you're f**ked.

By all means use the stairs , but dont forget to take a ladder with you so you can climb into the rocket when you get there

#18 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,169 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:59 PM

Once you start giving yourself limitations , you've already failed

Nonsense.

Success is being the best that you can be.

#19 red dwarf

red dwarf
  • Players
  • 54 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:01 PM

Nonsense.

Success is being the best that you can be.

And then being better than that

#20 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,169 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:03 PM

And then being better than that

You can't be better than you are capable of being by definition.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users