Clubs aiming beyond their capabilities

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#21 red dwarf

red dwarf
  • Players
  • 54 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:07 PM

You can't be better than you are capable of being by definition.

See , you are setting limits ? , dont set a limit and you will never stop trying to improve yourself

As long as there is an empty seat at your clubs stadium , your management have failed , take that mindset and you will succeed

#22 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:21 PM

See , you are setting limits ? , dont set a limit and you will never stop trying to improve yourself

As long as there is an empty seat at your clubs stadium , your management have failed , take that mindset and you will succeed

Set unrealistic goals and you will always "fail".

If you have a stadium with 10,000 seats and you sell 9,999 of them then you have succeeded.

#23 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 278 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:26 PM

red dwarf talking nonsense. Every person or organisation or faith has limitations either enforced or of their own doing. The successful are aware of their own limitations and turn them into strengths while also understanding their competitors limitations and exploiting them. Once this is done, the successful will repeat the process endlessly.

#24 red dwarf

red dwarf
  • Players
  • 54 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:40 PM

Set unrealistic goals and you will always "fail".

If you have a stadium with 10,000 seats and you sell 9,999 of them then you have succeeded.

Yes , but it is that ' failure ' that drives people / business to keep striving to improve

I'd say you still could have worked harder

Edited by red dwarf, 16 April 2013 - 10:43 PM.

#25 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:59 AM

In my opinion......

Cats, Tigers and Fev would all be far better suited as Championship rivals feeding into one Super club, much in the same way Balmain and Wests now work.

If the Super League is to live up to its title then unfortunately some clubs and their supporters need to realise that for the good of the game, their place belongs in the Championship and that super franchise clubs are key for Rugby League growth, profile and sponsorship.

Any club that does not have the potential to pull regular 15k+ crowds for regular season fixtures should slowly be relegated to Championship.

Clubs I feel that have the potential include:

Leeds
Wigan
Saints
Wolves
Broncos
Hull
Bulls
(super cats, cas and fev club)
Dragons
Salford

A 10 team comp. More TV money for less clubs, stronger playing pool of SL players, more intense games, less competition to find major sponsors, less games in a season opening way for international/rep calendar.

After some stability over say five years, perhaps bring in 2 new clubs that will have the potential for 15k+ fans like a second and third French club.

But like I say, that's just my opinion.....

Wests Tigers get less than Balmain and Wests did as separate entities. It also alienated many fans from those clubs. Who I have met.

Totally barmy idea

#26 Forever Trinity

Forever Trinity
  • Coach
  • 635 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:16 AM

Best to succeed by understanding your limitations and rectifying them than to fail by acting recklessly and irresponsibly

I think you answered for yourself here in the merger dept of Wakefield District, have you considered Hull, Leeds and Bradford, Wire and Widnes, Saits and Wigan as mergers, the 15k you speak about would be very realistic but if your going to talk geography discuss the whole are of rugby league not just one area that you dont appear to know much about in respect of anti merger.

#27 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 278 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:59 AM

I think you answered for yourself here in the merger dept of Wakefield District, have you considered Hull, Leeds and Bradford, Wire and Widnes, Saits and Wigan as mergers, the 15k you speak about would be very realistic but if your going to talk geography discuss the whole are of rugby league not just one area that you dont appear to know much about in respect of anti merger.

As I suggested, KR will be likely move to Championship. Leeds and Bradford both have the potential for 15k crowds. I said Widnes should move to Championship, while saints and wigan have potential for 15k.

My point was that those Wakefield clubs should still exist in the Champ while one super club replaces them in the SL. It was not so much of a mention of a merger.

In fact, if a new super club would not be supported I would still contemplate all three clubs existing in the Champ rather than SL.

#28 superten

superten
  • Coach
  • 371 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:50 AM

lets look at games that sell both to tv and to match attendants. You cant loose hull kr from super league the hull derbie is one of the biggest games in the fixture calendar 19,000 there this season while being live on tv even leeds v bradford couldnt match that this season. The games that sell are whats important to lift the profile of our game. wigan v saints , wigan v warrington both 20,000 plus gates. To me its the only way forward a ten team break away playing each other 3 times no relegation top four play off so top teams under pressure to make it. Bring back Great Britain one off home and away test v Australia and New Zealand during season.  

Chief Crazy Eagle

#29 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 278 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:38 AM

lets look at games that sell both to tv and to match attendants. You cant loose hull kr from super league the hull derbie is one of the biggest games in the fixture calendar 19,000 there this season while being live on tv even leeds v bradford couldnt match that this season. The games that sell are whats important to lift the profile of our game. wigan v saints , wigan v warrington both 20,000 plus gates. To me its the only way forward a ten team break away playing each other 3 times no relegation top four play off so top teams under pressure to make it. Bring back Great Britain one off home and away test v Australia and New Zealand during season.  

some interesting points and a very valid one for the Hull derby, yet I think the average attendances are still the measure and KR just don't have the potential to cut it with the big boys.

The 10 team model would work but I would say 27 games in a season is too many. Home and away with an additional rivalry round at a central venue would be an ideal 19 games. Top 4 finals would be good but should be at neutral big stadia to accomodate a big crowd. Once the comp grows, you can add more finals teams and contemplate home drawn finals for top qualifiers.

GB, that's another debate but I would like to see the return of tours to the UK where they play our top SL clubs. Almost like a Lions tour but the Aussies and kiwis coming to us with a five nations tournament in the middle of world cups.

#30 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,124 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:03 PM

I'm already into the rocket: but it really does demand a decent vinaigrette

By all means use the stairs , but dont forget to take a ladder with you so you can climb into the rocket when you get there

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#31 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,742 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:04 PM

Nothing new here, Can I suggest a few more topics you may wish to try?

Salford should change their name to Manchester (posted at least every couple of months)

London what do they bring? (monthly topics)

London essential to the SKy contract (monthly topic)

French teams we need more in SL (quarterly)

P & R

Stadiums square or otherwise.

#32 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:17 PM

Yes , but it is that ' failure ' that drives people / business to keep striving to improve

I'd say you still could have worked harder

Pointing out "failure" is not really a way to motivate people.

#33 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:43 PM

In my opinion......

Cats, Tigers and Fev would all be far better suited as Championship rivals feeding into one Super club

Which would give us a give us a team in Wakefield watched by a few thousand fans, a team in Cas watched by a few thousand fans, a team in Fev watched by a few thousand fans and the new Super Club watched by NO fans because they'll be spending their money watching THEIR team in Wakey, Cas or Fev.

Edited by Wiltshire Rhino, 17 April 2013 - 04:46 PM.

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#34 PREPOSTEROUS

PREPOSTEROUS
  • Coach
  • 673 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:09 PM

Which would give us a give us a team in Wakefield watched by a few thousand fans, a team in Cas watched by a few thousand fans, a team in Fev watched by a few thousand fans and the new Super Club watched by NO fans because they'll be spending their money watching THEIR team in Wakey, Cas or Fev.

Pretty much what i was going to post. Let nature takes its course on this one. One of the three will eventually become the dominant club in the area. Forcing a merger will not work.

#35 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,599 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:13 PM

Is it not maybe just being better than the competition?
As an aside, I think it's the inescapable facts of life that will decide the future of Fev, Cas and , not what a few fans think.

#36 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 678 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:47 PM

By that criteria that 'Management' of the most successful and best supported sporting clubs have failed.

#37 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 9,016 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:16 PM

London have the potential do they?

Oh right
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#38 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:26 PM

By that criteria that 'Management' of the most successful and best supported sporting clubs have failed.

Yeah that Jack Gibson was such an underachiever, don't know how he slept at night.

#39 RoytonRoughyed

RoytonRoughyed
  • Players
  • 91 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:03 PM

I think they should just go 4 leagues of 10 with P&R and the top 10 teams will takes its own course as it does in all sports in Europe

#40 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:30 PM

I think they should just go 4 leagues of 10 with P&R and the top 10 teams will takes its own course as it does in all sports in Europe

theres summat that gets u tingling now that the back end of the football season is here- oh yer prom and rel -in otherwords- the whole point of the season!

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users