Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Sam Tomkins to NZ Warriors in 2015 (merged threads)

• Please log in to reply
224 replies to this topic

#201 faithfulbyname

faithfulbyname
  • Coach
  • 114 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:22 AM

Even made the BBC sports news this morning...and not in a  negative way....

#202 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:07 AM

Good on the lad to test himself in a better competition. For all those who claim he is the best fullback in the world, we will see.

Personally, at this point in time I think the likes of Barba, Slater, Inglis, Hayne, Stewart, Dugan,  Mincehello (and Tuavasa-Shek) are better, but that's for him to prove himself

I think thats the biggest thing, its hard to judge how good he is against these players so he needs to prove where he ranks. He is a special player and I cant wait to see how he goes next year, hopefully he can set the NRL alight!

#203 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:10 AM

Must be the worst kept secret in RL history this one.

There's a lot of good things about this deal but I personally think he's nuts to go to NZ.   Given the flying back and forth over the Tasman Sea every other weekend, I'd have thought you get a pretty ropey quality of life being an Warriors player.   I'm surprised he hasn't gone to a Sydney club.

That's me.  I'm done.

#204 7723

• Coach
  • 554 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:05 AM

He's not done too bad for a player Wigan were going to let go as a youngster.

#205 dkgfd

dkgfd
  • Coach
  • 114 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:08 AM

It was on Radio 4's today programme as well, with the guy speaking saying "RL was Australias national game" twice!! Nearly choked on my cornflakes.

errr.........is it scaramanga?

#206 Bazz

Bazz
  • Coach
  • 285 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:25 AM

There's a lot of good things about this deal but I personally think he's nuts to go to NZ.   Given the flying back and forth over the Tasman Sea every other weekend, I'd have thought you get a pretty ropey quality of life being an Warriors player.   I'm surprised he hasn't gone to a Sydney club.

Yes ,it must be awful having to live in New Zealand and having to fly just over three hours every other weekend!

Auckland is a wonderful city and I'm sure the quality of life isn't  'ropey'.

#207 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 955 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:25 AM

I presume Crowe wasn't prepared to pay a large transfer fee?

After all he seemed pretty keen on Tomkins in Leicester Square not so long ago.

#208 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,886 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:02 AM

Good on the lad to test himself in a better competition. For all those who claim he is the best fullback in the world, we will see.
Personally, at this point in time I think the likes of Barba, Slater, Inglis, Hayne, Stewart, Dugan, Mincehello (and Tuavasa-Shek) are better, but that's for him to prove himself

I really don't see what else Tomkins could of done to prove himself better than the names you listed.

His stats over the last 3 seasons are just miles ahead of anyone else in the competition.

He proved himself against Aus/NZ in the 2011 bar from the final.

I'm glad he's over there though to prove himself it'll be great to see.

#209 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,872 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:10 AM

All the major news outlets! :biggrin:

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#210 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:18 AM

Yes ,it must be awful having to live in New Zealand and having to fly just over three hours every other weekend!

Auckland is a wonderful city and I'm sure the quality of life isn't  'ropey'.

Not been to NZ, although I've rarely heard a bad word about it.

As someone who travels a lot with work, I can tell you that spending the better part of the year flying backwards and forwards gets tiring.  It's a lot of flying.   I imagine the NZ players have come to find turning up at Auckland airport a bit of a chore.

That's me.  I'm done.

#211 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,989 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:25 AM

After his RUWC paper talk on the cross-code forum I was a little apprehensive he'd venture to the dark side, so I'm glad he's staying in league. I was also suprised at the 3 year deal, as this would take him past 2015, but saying that, what are contract lengths these days anyway.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#212 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 391 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:25 AM

Not been to NZ, although I've rarely heard a bad word about it.

As someone who travels a lot with work, I can tell you that spending the better part of the year flying backwards and forwards gets tiring.  It's a lot of flying.   I imagine the NZ players have come to find turning up at Auckland airport a bit of a chore.

Every sports team in America has to do this, they seem to go fine. It's a 3 hour flight every other week - that's nothing really.

Edited by The Big Gun, 24 September 2013 - 11:27 AM.

#213 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,989 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:27 AM

Which of sky team will blub first?

Tosser up between Eddie and Phil.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#214 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:38 AM

Every sports team in America has to do this, they seem to go fine. It's a 3 hour flight every other week - that's nothing really.

I've done it.  It's not nothing really.  It's a pain in the ######, but it's a manageable one.

I'm just surprised he went for NZ when he could have gone for a Sydney club.  Sydney is a great city and the centre of the RL World.   It seems to me to be the place to go.

That's me.  I'm done.

#215 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 391 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:56 AM

I've done it.  It's not nothing really.  It's a pain in the ######, but it's a manageable one.

I'm just surprised he went for NZ when he could have gone for a Sydney club.  Sydney is a great city and the centre of the RL World.   It seems to me to be the place to go.

I'm guessing the offers weren't there from the Sydney clubs, or if they were they weren't at the financial level of what the Warriors have given him. His contract is very large for someone with no NRL experience, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Warriors massively outbid everyone else.

#216 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:56 AM

Is the whole thing that goes with it not part of what makes it crappy? A lot of folk (don't know if this applies to you SM) travel on their own for work, making it boring as. As well as this, it is often on top of your contracted hours, so you miss time with friends and family. On the other hand, three hours travelling with your mates, having the craic and still having plenty of free time (as I am sure these lads do - recovery is important) might not seem so bad... 

Edited by zorquif, 24 September 2013 - 11:57 AM.

#217 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 836 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:29 PM

After his RUWC paper talk on the cross-code forum I was a little apprehensive he'd venture to the dark side, so I'm glad he's staying in league. I was also suprised at the 3 year deal, as this would take him past 2015, but saying that, what are contract lengths these days anyway.

Yep, and if the England RU coaches really wanted him the RFU would easily find the spare change to overcome any contractual aspects.  Not saying they do or would but it wouldn't be an issue if they really wanted him but I think they have good cover for the positions Sam would be playing.   Anyway already too late for this forthcoming RU World Cup.

#218 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:05 PM

Is the whole thing that goes with it not part of what makes it crappy? A lot of folk (don't know if this applies to you SM) travel on their own for work, making it boring as. As well as this, it is often on top of your contracted hours, so you miss time with friends and family. On the other hand, three hours travelling with your mates, having the craic and still having plenty of free time (as I am sure these lads do - recovery is important) might not seem so bad... 

Some good points there.   The travelling I do tends to be with colleagues, who are not quite the same as your teammates.

That's me.  I'm done.

#219 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,613 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:22 PM

I'm guessing the offers weren't there from the Sydney clubs, or if they were they weren't at the financial level of what the Warriors have given him. His contract is very large for someone with no NRL experience, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Warriors massively outbid everyone else.

Seem to recall reading that the Gold Coast Titans were after him, and were close on the contract, but didn't fancy the transfer fee involved. The Warriors have some serious money men behind them.

#220 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,844 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:35 PM

Even made the BBC sports news this morning...and not in a negative way....

yeah I saw that, the sports girl couldn't wait to say how good rugby league is when the main presenter was trying to contrast the sale with the 125mill for Gareth bale!
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users