League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Sam Tomkins to NZ Warriors in 2015 (merged threads)

• Please log in to reply
224 replies to this topic

#21 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:31 PM

tomkins will go to union with joel, become one of the biggest names and highly paid stars their sport has ever seen, edwards farrel and phil clarke will see to that, good luck to him whatever he does, hope he stays in rl but find it highly unlikely -returning to eng at 30 something, as forgotten no-body wont keep in in "question of sport " appearences and countless other money making celebrity spin offs to keep him and his family comfy for the rest of their days, sorry but thats just how it is and no one will be able to blame him when he goes -which he will.

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#22 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:34 PM

He wouldn't go to Townsville surely? More likely a Sydney club!

Why not? He could play with Thurston, play for a team highly capable of winning a championship, plus he could live on the Great Barrier Reef. Doesn't sound too rough
Posted Image

Posted Image

#23 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:56 PM

Wave it around. Generally do what the hell he feels like doing with it

#24 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,112 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:17 PM

tomkins will go to union with joel, become one of the biggest names and highly paid stars their sport has ever seen, edwards farrel and phil clarke will see to that, good luck to him whatever he does, hope he stays in rl but find it highly unlikely -returning to eng at 30 something, as forgotten no-body wont keep in in "question of sport " appearences and countless other money making celebrity spin offs to keep him and his family comfy for the rest of their days, sorry but thats just how it is and no one will be able to blame him when he goes -which he will.

You're coming across as the type of RL fan who will enjoy to see that happen just so it proves him right.

If he leaves Super League it'll be for the NRL.

#25 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:29 PM

You're coming across as the type of RL fan who will enjoy to see that happen just so it proves him right.

If he leaves Super League it'll be for the NRL.

sadly not- would hate to see him go to ru as much as any other rl fan- i am the type of rl fan who faces up to facts and reality of a modern sporting world dominated by celeb and money.

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#26 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 392 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:40 PM

sadly not- would hate to see him go to ru as much as any other rl fan- i am the type of rl fan who faces up to facts and reality of a modern sporting world dominated by celeb and money.

Well the NRL has as much, if not more money than the English RU Premiership so Tomkins wouldn't lack for cash if he went down under.

Edited by The Big Gun, 17 April 2013 - 08:42 PM.

#27 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,112 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:41 PM

It's not a reality. He can probably gets as much celeb status in RL as he does in RU. He's is Skys poster boy for the sport. Hence him being in the advert and having a part to play in SL superstars ect.

Then money I believe he's paid quite well in RL, isn't it over 200k between Sky and Wigan? I may be corrected but regardless of that he can get more money in the NRL than RU in England. The NRL is much more attractive than English RU. Hotter weather, playing in a sport which he's already proven in which is a higher intensity which will up his game and also playing in a country which is in the top 2 sports in the country.

Only an offer from France in RU would be a more attractive offer than the NRL.

Edited by barrowraiderskid, 17 April 2013 - 08:42 PM.

#28 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 503 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:46 PM

Well the NRL has as much, if not more money than the English RU Premiership so Tomkins wouldn't lack for cash if he went down under.

Then the thing that could sway him towards union could be the fantastic international scene

#29 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:56 PM

his career will end aged 30 if he stays in rl- if he goes to ru he will end up being the presenter of the one show or summat- get a reality check ffs its  not  hard

#30 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 392 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:05 PM

his career will end aged 30 if he stays in rl- if he goes to ru he will end up being the presenter of the one show or summat- get a reality check ffs its  not  hard

Cheers, Nostradamus. I guess you've pretty much settled the debate then.

#31 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,112 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:16 PM

his career will end aged 30 if he stays in rl- if he goes to ru he will end up being the presenter of the one show or summat- get a reality check ffs its not hard

Yep like every RL players ends at 30. There isn't any opportunities in RL once you hit that awful age.

I need to get a reality check when you think he'll become the presenter of the one show if he goes to RU. I'll say no more.

#32 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:18 PM

Cheers, Nostradamus. I guess you've pretty much settled the debate then.

sorry guys but its just reality these days, you cant blame any sportsman for making the most out of his talents, look at hanley and offiah now prob the best rugby talents ever seen in this country but cos that was a different time they stayed with us and now scratch a living here and there, its a fully grown media driven celeb world now, tomkins wont get to be the captain of qos (hosted by jonny wilkinson) in 2023 if he doesnt join the darkside, sad but true.

#33 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 392 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:33 PM

sorry guys but its just reality these days, you cant blame any sportsman for making the most out of his talents, look at hanley and offiah now prob the best rugby talents ever seen in this country but cos that was a different time they stayed with us and now scratch a living here and there, its a fully grown media driven celeb world now, tomkins wont get to be the captain of qos (hosted by jonny wilkinson) in 2023 if he doesnt join the darkside, sad but true.

How many ex-Union players are now big celebs outside of the game? I can think of Matt Dawson and, um...

#34 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,191 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:01 PM

oh well looks like your reality might well be shattered.

Edited by EastLondonMike, 17 April 2013 - 11:02 PM.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#35 Duff Duff

Duff Duff
  • Banned
  • 717 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:55 PM

Matt Dawson, Mike Tindall, Jonny Wilkinson, Austin Healy, Martin Johnson, Jason Robinson.

All have profiles in the general media.

Bedlam is right. The national profile of Rugby League in the UK has collapsed since the early 1990s. Players like Tomkins, Sinfield, Hall etc are not the household names Edwards, Offiah, Hanely and co were.

You used to get 7 or 8 million watching Great Britian v Australia on the BBC. Not any more you don't. England v Wales in Rugby Union certainly does.

#36 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,554 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:07 PM

Mike Tindall, Jonny Wilkinson, Austin Healy, Martin Johnson, Jason Robinson.

Dawson is one of the team captains on a nationally broadcast sports quiz. Apart from guesting on the same quiz or being on tv to talk about RU, what celebrity status do the others have outside of their sport? Oops I forgot Austin Healey was in that hugely forgettable game show about holes in walls. Big Gun meant celebrity status outside of their comfort zone.

rldfsignature.jpg

#37 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:55 PM

Dawson is one of the team captains on a nationally broadcast sports quiz. Apart from guesting on the same quiz or being on tv to talk about RU, what celebrity status do the others have outside of their sport? Oops I forgot Austin Healey was in that hugely forgettable game show about holes in walls. Big Gun meant celebrity status outside of their comfort zone.

fact is no matter how great a rugby player tomkins is in the next 7-8 years (injuries permitting)when that time is over if he stays in rl he will be a total unknown to 90% of the population with the "what next" syndrome looming,im sure he loves rl with a passion but its human nature to want to be the best sports star in the land, you talk about the nrl but most british rl fans cant even be arsed to subscribe to channel that shows almost every game for next to nothing!

#38 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 972 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:50 PM

tomkins will go to union with joel, become one of the biggest names and highly paid stars their sport has ever seen, edwards farrel and phil clarke will see to that, good luck to him whatever he does, hope he stays in rl but find it highly unlikely -returning to eng at 30 something, as forgotten no-body wont keep in in "question of sport " appearences and countless other money making celebrity spin offs to keep him and his family comfy for the rest of their days, sorry but thats just how it is and no one will be able to blame him when he goes -which he will.

Wilkinson is a household name because he kicked a last minute drop goal to win the World Cup on terrestrial TV. If Sam Tomkins can score the try that wins our world cup for England in front of a packed out Old Trafford live on the BBC, then there is a fairly good chance that he too will become a household name.

The NRL will give him a healthy bank balance and the celebrity status he apparently seeks, I guess it all depends on how much of a home boy he is - moving overseas isn't for everyone. Personally I think he should try Australia and see how it goes, if he comes back after a couple of seasons the RU lot will still be interested.

If he does go to RU, fair play but he will be wasting his talent playing 15s. Maybe 7s at the Olympics is his target?

#39 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,093 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:53 AM

I can't decide if Iestyn Harris will be a help or hinderance when it comes to any possible advice for Sam Tomkins about rugby union.

Edited by hindle xiii, 19 April 2013 - 06:54 AM.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#40 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 392 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:33 AM

http://www.nzherald....jectid=10878575

Seems like these rumours are legit...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users