Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Sam Tomkins to NZ Warriors in 2015 (merged threads)

• Please log in to reply
224 replies to this topic

#41 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,213 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:40 AM

In an ideal world, England beat Oz in the first game of the World Cup, NZ beat Oz in the semi and we beat them in the final. Our increased profile them persuades the boy to stay in TGG. He sees out his last year with Wigan, goes to NZ for a few years, we get some classy Kiwis as part compensation, Hampshire steps up. He then comes home to Wigan and finishes his career in style. Given his love of the game, and status within it, that could well appear more than living in faceless Herts, the west country or the Midlands, none of which are a patch on Wigan. And he keeps his soul.

#42 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,130 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:43 AM

In an ideal world, England beat Oz in the first game of the World Cup, NZ beat Oz in the semi and we beat them in the final. Our increased profile them persuades the boy to stay in TGG. He sees out his last year with Wigan, goes to NZ for a few years, we get some classy Kiwis as part compensation, Hampshire steps up. He then comes home to Wigan and finishes his career in style. Given his love of the game, and status within it, that could well appear more than living in faceless Herts, the west country or the Midlands, none of which are a patch on Wigan. And he keeps his soul.

He signs for a union club. Bradford sign him a few years after, then we have a legal battle and go bust.

:unsure:

Edited by hindle xiii, 19 April 2013 - 08:44 AM.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#43 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,323 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:52 AM

whereabouts are you exiled?    :)

#44 Gruff

Gruff
  • Coach
  • 649 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:54 AM

Given Widdop has just signed a $550,000 per year deal - equivalent to £370k a year, Sam would command at least the same, probably even greater.  I would imagine offers for Sam would be in the region of $650k a year - £440k a year

These are figures that can only be matched in Union by becoming

a) A Marquee player

B) A regular England player

c) Part funded by the RFU

Given the RFU have stated they will not contribute to cross coders any more, and there is no guarantee that he would become an England regular, he would have to take someone's marquee spot - and how many clubs would be willing to risk it on Tompkins?

Only 3 unions clubs turn a profit, and a small one at that - who's going to increase their spend by best part of £0.5m on such a risk?

The most likely scenario in my eyes is Sam signs a whopper deal with an NRL club and I wouldnt be surprised to see Joel join him in a couple of years

#45 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,213 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:52 AM

whereabouts are you exiled?    :)

Surrey - just down the road from the RL hotbed of Croydon. Not a patch on Wigan.

#46 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 976 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:55 AM

I think you can forget the West Country or East Midlands as possible destinations. There is only one place he's likely to turn up in RU and that is Hertfordshire. I also got the impression that Joel's switch was significantly more to do with him and his girlfriend wanting to live down south near London, than any burning desire to play RU. With the Pie connection at Saracens I imagine it was a pretty straight forward decision where he could continue to earn a living playing rugby.

As for Sam, I imagine a great deal depends on what he wants from life. We know that Australia has some serious attractions but it is an expensive place these days, everyone I speak to who has visited NZ says what an amazing place it is with awesome quality of life and relatively affordable. As this thing moves forward, I think it (wish it) will become clearer that he will stay in the game he knows and go earn himself a slice of the enhanced NRL cap.

Edited by foozler, 19 April 2013 - 11:34 AM.

#47 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,329 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:32 AM

You had me at "beat them in the Final"!

Actually that's not quite true, you had me at "England beat Oz in the first game of the World Cup".

Edited by Wiltshire Rhino, 19 April 2013 - 10:41 AM.

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#48 Duff Duff

Duff Duff
  • Banned
  • 717 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:52 PM

The Rugby Union Premiership's £152 million TV deal comes on stream next season and the increased revenues are going to lead to an increase of the salary cap.

As things stand the Marque Player system means one player is excluded from a the cap anyway. Of the Union club's with serious cash both Bath and Saracens are owned by billionaires and Leicester, Northampton and Quins are commercially very strong and would be able to splash the cash if they were allowed too.

If he played for England RU he would get paid even more.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

#49 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 278 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:46 AM

Given Widdop has just signed a $550,000 per year deal - equivalent to £370k a year, Sam would command at least the same, probably even greater.  I would imagine offers for Sam would be in the region of $650k a year - £440k a year

These are figures that can only be matched in Union by becoming

a) A Marquee player

B) A regular England player

c) Part funded by the RFU

Given the RFU have stated they will not contribute to cross coders any more, and there is no guarantee that he would become an England regular, he would have to take someone's marquee spot - and how many clubs would be willing to risk it on Tompkins?

Only 3 unions clubs turn a profit, and a small one at that - who's going to increase their spend by best part of £0.5m on such a risk?

The most likely scenario in my eyes is Sam signs a whopper deal with an NRL club and I wouldnt be surprised to see Joel join him in a couple of years

Sorry Gruff, I have to disagree. There is no way that Tomkins will command a salary equal to Widdop let alone more than him. Widdop is a stand off tried and tested at the best club in the world. Tomkins is very skillful player, but no club will spend the kind of cash you have just mentioned. Not for his first three year contract anyway. After a few years in NRL, then only his performances will dictate that

#50 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:34 AM

Tomkins will command a salary equivalent to Widdop in the NRL, otherwise he'd get it elsewhere (RU). Quite simply in my view he is a better talent than Widdop with a much higher ceiling. If you swapped Widdop for Tomkins in the current Wigan side they would be substantially less dynamic in attack. Just because he doesn't play in the NRL currently doesn't mean he isn't one of the most talented attacking players of his generation.

#51 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:33 AM

Fullback is a position well covered in the NRL.
Tomkins would get reasonable offers from the NRL but I doubt it would be much more than Widdop got who is tried and tested and will not homesick or cry off if it gets tough.

#52 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,213 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:56 AM

Fullback is a position well covered in the NRL.Tomkins would get reasonable offers from the NRL but I doubt it would be much more than Widdop got who is tried and tested and will not homesick or cry off if it gets tough.

This the same NRL where Luke and George Burgess comfortably make the first team, and Williams walks straight back into after not playing competitive sport for years?
He'd be a superstar from day 1 and the clubs are astute enough to know it. He's twice the player Widdop will ever be. Having had to adjust as a family to moving from Milton Keynes to Chorley, he'd be equipped for any culture shock.

#53 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:05 AM

This the same NRL where Luke and George Burgess comfortably make the first team, and Williams walks straight back into after not playing competitive sport for years?
He'd be a superstar from day 1 and the clubs are astute enough to know it. He's twice the player Widdop will ever be. Having had to adjust as a family to moving from Milton Keynes to Chorley, he'd be equipped for any culture shock.

Neither Luke or George Burgess walked into first grade did they?
They were so so in England and have been brought through to first grade.
Williams was one of the best players in the NRL when he left, he did ok in Union and was in the All Blacks World Cup winning team, why would he not make the grade in the NRL?
Many top Union players are easily as good as their counterparts in Rugby League. Don't you realise that?

#54 Duff Duff

Duff Duff
  • Banned
  • 717 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:57 AM

Didn't you realise that Union players are fat, slow, poor at tackling and completely lacking in skill. Sonny Bill Williams couldn't even hold down a place in the All Blacks side. Beyond all the media hype he is a limited and one dimensional Union player. Great at carving up rubbish but struggled against sides who could actually tackle.

Anyway I think it is pretty obvious that Sam Tomkins would command a bigger pay check in the NRL than Gareth Widdop who happens to be a decent player in a very good team. Tomkins is the best player in Super League with the highest profile and has that X factor that can win a side games from nothing.

If Widdop didn't play in the NRL and didn't play for Melbourne people wouldn't make a fuss about him. Playing in a great side doesn't make you a great player. Sure he is a decent player and should probably start for England but Tomkins is on another level completely. Apart from maybe 2 or 3 of the top clubs the rest of the NRL would bite their hands off to get hold of Tomkins.

If the recent English players in the NRL have proven anything it is that top English are more than good enough the problem is they are held back from having to play in the uncompetitive Super League competition were the quality is too thinly spread and the season structure means the regular season games lack meaning and intensity.

I have a suspicion he will go to Saracens RU and with Andy Farrell involved in the England setup he will be fast tracked into the England RU squad like his brother has been. It should be noted that Saracens are owned by a South African billionaire for who money is no objective and there are strong suspicions that they are cheating the RU salary cap by keeping their financial dealing offshore in South Africa.

#55 Gruff

Gruff
  • Coach
  • 649 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:13 AM

The £152m deal includes the HC cup, or equivalent. Only around £100m is for the premiership.

This is not much more than they get now, and less than SL got.

#56 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:20 AM

Didn't you realise that Union players are fat, slow, poor at tackling and completely lacking in skill. Sonny Bill Williams couldn't even hold down a place in the All Blacks side. Beyond all the media hype he is a limited and one dimensional Union player. Great at carving up rubbish but struggled against sides who could actually tackle.

Anyway I think it is pretty obvious that Sam Tomkins would command a bigger pay check in the NRL than Gareth Widdop who happens to be a decent player in a very good team. Tomkins is the best player in Super League with the highest profile and has that X factor that can win a side games from nothing.

If Widdop didn't play in the NRL and didn't play for Melbourne people wouldn't make a fuss about him. Playing in a great side doesn't make you a great player. Sure he is a decent player and should probably start for England but Tomkins is on another level completely. Apart from maybe 2 or 3 of the top clubs the rest of the NRL would bite their hands off to get hold of Tomkins.

If the recent English players in the NRL have proven anything it is that top English are more than good enough the problem is they are held back from having to play in the uncompetitive Super League competition were the quality is too thinly spread and the season structure means the regular season games lack meaning and intensity.

I have a suspicion he will go to Saracens RU and with Andy Farrell involved in the England setup he will be fast tracked into the England RU squad like his brother has been. It should be noted that Saracens are owned by a South African billionaire for who money is no objective and there are strong suspicions that they are cheating the RU salary cap by keeping their financial dealing offshore in South Africa.

You are stupid and do not warrant a reply.

#57 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:28 AM

You mean like the long list of cry baby Australians who have skulked off back home from SL when they realised it wasn't as easy as they thought it was going to be.

Christ you are arrogant.

Why were those cry baby Aussies not locked into financial deals where they could not pull out without losing money?

I see you chose not to fill in the players leaving on mass to the NRL in the previous thread.

The fact is Hannibal, yes that is you, why do you still have that arrogant streak that saw you banned here?
Wigan Warrior was a poor attempt.
I was prepared to move on and live and let live but the fact you can not change your ways makes me think you are what you are and that will not change, settle mate you will blow a Turbo :-) if you keep going. The 1000 Park games you played have messed with your Head.

Edited by AndyCapp, 20 April 2013 - 11:37 AM.

#58 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,213 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:40 AM

I'd rather Hannibal than AC. At least he has wit.
Neither Burgess would have made it into the top 50 SL players yet neither has struggled in the NRL.
If Williams can go from a game in which he touches the ball 5 times a game and has to make as few tackles and crack the NRL in 5 minutes it can't be that hard.
Sam would be a superstar, as I hope time will tell.

#59 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:49 AM

I'd rather Hannibal than AC. At least he has wit.
Neither Burgess would have made it into the top 50 SL players yet neither has struggled in the NRL.
If Williams can go from a game in which he touches the ball 5 times a game and has to make as few tackles and crack the NRL in 5 minutes it can't be that hard.
Sam would be a superstar, as I hope time will tell.

Why do you think Union players are ######?
Many in the Southern Hemisphere at least are just as good as their League counterparts.
The fact you are a halfwit and can not make any sort of judgement in pretty basic things sums it up.
Simpleton is a word that describes you and your knowledge of the game.

Edited by AndyCapp, 20 April 2013 - 12:03 PM.

#60 Duff Duff

Duff Duff
  • Banned
  • 717 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:04 PM

You are stupid and do not warrant a reply.

Am I?

If Gareth Widdop was such an exceptional player why isn't he the first choice 6 for the England team ahead of a converted loose forward? He is a decent player but not amazing.

Tomkins would be a hit in the NRL. There is any reason why he wouldn't? English players of a similar quality who have moved there. Morely, Burgess, Graham have all been successful.