Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Sam Tomkins to NZ Warriors in 2015 (merged threads)

• Please log in to reply
224 replies to this topic

#61 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,866 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:07 PM

Am I?

If Gareth Widdop was such an exceptional player why isn't he the first choice 6 for the England team ahead of a converted loose forward? He is a decent player but not amazing.

Tomkins would be a hit in the NRL. There is any reason why he wouldn't? English players of a similar quality who have moved there. Morely, Burgess, Graham have all been successful.

Go away annoying person.
Why do you not try and answer some of your own questions.

#62 Duff Duff

Duff Duff
  • Banned
  • 717 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:24 PM

No. It is a free board you arrogant and dismissive git.

Learn some manners rather than sneering at other people.

#63 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,944 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:31 PM

Why do you think Union players are ######?Many in the Southern Hemisphere at least are just as good as their League counterparts.The fact you are a halfwit and can not make any sort of judgement in pretty basic things sums it up.Simpleton is a word that describes you and your knowledge of the game.

Where to start with this collection of gems?
Vichies are probably good at what they do all day. There are huge numbers of them, and so they are likely to have some very good ones at what they do. I have played (to my shame) and watched enough of both to observe that the skills required to play league well from day 1 at the highest will be beyond all but a few Vichies. If you spend more than half of a "game" either watching people in various heaps, being lifted in the air or kicking you are not learning the sorts of skills you need at league. Given that the NRL considered Flannagan first grade material, it doesn't surprise me that even unionistas can get a run, particularly with access to the standard NRL "supplements".
I won't deign (feel free to look up its meaning) to comment on your abuse. Given the number of others who receive similar abuse, I wonder whether you might have wandered onto the wrong site?

Edited by Exiled Wiganer, 20 April 2013 - 12:32 PM.

#64 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:34 PM

Wouldn't be surprised if AC is the same person as League Freak or East Coast Tiger. Same lack of objectivity in terms of the NRL and SL. Everyone knows that the standard of the NRL is higher overall, but it doesn't mean every player is better than the cream of SL. No disrespect to Widdop, but for all this talk of him being proven in NRL - all he's proven is that he can be the fourth best playmaker on the best team, not that he can consistently carry the playmaking responsibility as the main man in an NRL side. In contrast Tomkins has proven to be quite simply the best player not only in his successful team, but all of SL. Whilst he has defensive frailties (as does Widdop from games I've witnessed), as an attacking force he is right up with the best of the NRL I have no doubt. Whilst it would be a real disappointment on a personal level to not see him play week in week out for Wigan, I hope he moves to the NRL and proves the arrogant doubters wrong.

#65 Duff Duff

Duff Duff
  • Banned
  • 717 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:25 PM

Wouldn't be surprised if AC is the same person as League Freak or East Coast Tiger. Same lack of objectivity in terms of the NRL and SL. Everyone knows that the standard of the NRL is higher overall, but it doesn't mean every player is better than the cream of SL. No disrespect to Widdop, but for all this talk of him being proven in NRL - all he's proven is that he can be the fourth best playmaker on the best team, not that he can consistently carry the playmaking responsibility as the main man in an NRL side. In contrast Tomkins has proven to be quite simply the best player not only in his successful team, but all of SL. Whilst he has defensive frailties (as does Widdop from games I've witnessed), as an attacking force he is right up with the best of the NRL I have no doubt. Whilst it would be a real disappointment on a personal level to not see him play week in week out for Wigan, I hope he moves to the NRL and proves the arrogant doubters wrong.

Exactly. In any sport being a decent player in a great team doesn't make mean the decent player is great. Widdop has been fortunate that he has played with so many great players.

By Super League standards Tomkins is a great player and by NRL standards he is likely to be a very good one. I don't get all this negativity. Burgess, Ellis and Graham have proven how good English players can be if they are given opportunity to test themselves against the best.

English rugby league's problem isn't the lack of talented players it is the lack of a competitive enviroment in which they can test themselves and improve. The Super League just isn't up to scratch in that regard.

Look at New Zealand. When they had most of their players playing in the UK they were fodder. Once the Kiwis got most of their players based in the NRL they became Four Nations Champions and World Champions. Basically the more English players in the NRL the stronger the England team will be.

#66 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:04 PM

Unfortunately, you are looking at it from a SL perspective. Regardless of how good Tomkins is, he will be viewed as inferior by those in the NRL until such time as he has gone there and proven himself in the NRL.

#67 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,496 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:41 PM

I've forgotten what this thread was about.

What's with all the silliness?

#68 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:10 PM

Unfortunately, you are looking at it from a SL perspective. Regardless of how good Tomkins is, he will be viewed as inferior by those in the NRL until such time as he has gone there and proven himself in the NRL.

But why did he look world class in the games against NZ and Aus in the 2011 4N who are made up of the best players from the NRL.

#69 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:38 PM

But why did he look world class in the games against NZ and Aus in the 2011 4N who are made up of the best players from the NRL.

But it isn't the week-in, week-out grind of the weekly rounds, etc.

#70 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:01 PM

But it isn't the week-in, week-out grind of the weekly rounds, etc.

I'd of thought the international stage is harder to perform on rather than the NRL.

#71 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:51 PM

I'd of thought the international stage is harder to perform on rather than the NRL.

Not in Australia.

#72 Duff Duff

Duff Duff
  • Banned
  • 717 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:30 AM

The only way we are going to find out whether Tomkins can deal with the NRL week in week out is for him to play in the competition. I see no reason why Tomkins wouldn't make an impact.

Put it this way. When the Aussies are preparing to play England which English back do you think they worry about most and do their most homework on? He can worry the Kangaroos he can cope with the NRL.

#73 eal

eal
  • Players
  • 66 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:19 AM

Interesting that Matthew Elliott says the gap between NRL and SL has never been bigger.

#74 winnyason

winnyason
  • Coach
  • 384 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:19 AM

If it a decision on a challenge then NRL if cash English rugby u, will he follow in the path of Robinson and Farrell or stay in league which I can see the only way that happening in the NRL. He has the ability reported today that roosters looking to get him also don't discount manly given Brett Stewart early retirement rumours.

#75 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,434 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:45 AM

The only way we are going to find out whether Tomkins can deal with the NRL week in week out is for him to play in the competition. I see no reason why Tomkins wouldn't make an impact.
Put it this way. When the Aussies are preparing to play England which English back do you think they worry about most and do their most homework on? He can worry the Kangaroos he can cope with the NRL.

Ryan Hall, one of the best players in the world in his position, if not the best.

#76 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,496 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:12 AM

Perhaps he's basing it on the fact that he won Super League (with a team inherited from Brian Smith) but has been unremittingly useless in the NRL.

The big question here should be: how is Matt Elliott still managing to find employment as a head coach? Frankly, it's baffling.

#77 winnyason

winnyason
  • Coach
  • 384 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:16 AM

Could Wigan afford him post 2014?

#78 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,944 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:22 AM

It depends. I suspect pretty soon we will have a 10 10 split SL, with a higher cap and a dispensation for a marquee player. Who knows what will happen with exchange rates? If the WC is a success the spin off benefits could be considerable.
If, say, Hampshire steps up, he may be less essential to us than he is today.

#79 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:11 PM

Ellery Hanley was only regarded as the best player in the world once he had dominated the NRL, I would love to see Sam do the same.

If we could get Hall, Watkins, Briscoe, Clark and more to go then we could start having mid season international's over in oz and beat them.
waddell

#80 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,944 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:49 PM

Ellery Hanley was only regarded as the best player in the world once he had dominated the NRL, I would love to see Sam do the same.
If we could get Hall, Watkins, Briscoe, Clark and more to go then we could start having mid season international's over in oz and beat them.

Clark?
It would be intriguing to reach a point where we would have a full team in the NRL. Perhaps they could organise aeries games to get hose Islanders who wanted to stick with Samoa, Tonga etc, a representative game?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users