Photo
- - - - -

Sam Tomkins to NZ Warriors in 2015 (merged threads)

• Please log in to reply
224 replies to this topic

#81 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 03:54 PM

Clark, the young hooker at castleford, if there is a near full side out there then I imagine it would be our near full first choice England team.
Also I can't imagine it being too taxi g if its just the odd player to be flown over from super league.

My view is that we have always had the talent it's just been a mental thing that has held is back from beating the Australians consistently.
If the majority of the team are plying their trade out there then the myth and mental block surrounding the kangaroos will disappear. Especially if Sam does go over and boss it, we could end up having the best forward and back in the world. (Burgess)
waddell

#82 Duff Duff

Duff Duff
  • Banned
  • 717 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:19 PM

The New Zealand example demonstrates how important it is for as many of England's best players as possible go and play in the NRL.

Without a 10 team Super League that concentrates both the talent and the tv money and a proper representative series to mimic the State of Origin the gap with the NRL will grow and grow.

The best short term solution is to send the best players to Australia. Until British rugby league is rich enough to attract players in the other direction then that is the way it has to be.

#83 carlos

carlos
  • Coach
  • 421 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:03 PM

Back to the Topic in question. This is a done deal, and will come early with huge transfer fee to allow the move to go through in 2014.

#84 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,550 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:17 PM

It depends. I suspect pretty soon we will have a 10 10 split SL, with a higher cap and a dispensation for a marquee player. Who knows what will happen with exchange rates? If the WC is a success the spin off benefits could be considerable.
If, say, Hampshire steps up, he may be less essential to us than he is today.

Marquee player dispensation needs to be brought in (for those who want/are able to make use of it) from 2014.

We achieve nothing by putting it off and risk losing our most valuable assets in the meantime.

#85 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:17 AM

How about a marquee player excemption, but the said player has to be European.

Or

The cap is extended but teams are only allowed 1 non European player.

(and no passport fiddles either)

#86 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,171 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:01 AM

I thought there was already an increase in the cap for a marquee player for the last time Precious had a contract merry-go-round?

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#87 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:10 AM

I thought there was already an increase in the cap for a marquee player for the last time Precious had a contract merry-go-round?

Nope! The fudge made was that a percentage of one (per team I think) home grown player who had played at the club for over 10 years had a percentage of their wage not count on the cap. I can't remember the percentage but I remember the player that made the difference was O'Loughlan

#88 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,171 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:15 AM

http://www1.skysport...-cap-rule-eased

12th November 2011.

Edited by hindle xiii, 23 April 2013 - 08:15 AM.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#89 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,171 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:16 AM

This could also argue whether it worked or not!

Edited by hindle xiii, 23 April 2013 - 08:17 AM.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#90 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:21 AM

that article wasn't quite right I believe. Andy Wilson's set of 6 from the time (point 3) says what the dispensation actually was. So it wasn't just a special 'wigan goldenboy' dispensation, I believe Leeds et al have benefited as well.

http://www.guardian....and-new-zealand

I'd make a link in the document, but now I can post again in Chrome all the options on the editor are greyed out :(

Edited by RidingPie, 23 April 2013 - 08:22 AM.

#91 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:24 AM

This could also argue whether it worked or not!

The money available in the NRL means that any increase here is probably not going to make a huge difference, but as has happened before, it should hopefully see us unearth more homegrown players to replace them

#92 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,171 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:32 AM

that article wasn't quite right I believe. Andy Wilson's set of 6 from the time (point 3) says what the dispensation actually was. So it wasn't just a special 'wigan goldenboy' dispensation, I believe Leeds et al have benefited as well.

http://www.guardian....and-new-zealand

I'd make a link in the document, but now I can post again in Chrome all the options on the editor are greyed out :(

I knew there was a "testimonial exemption" but I just assumed that had been around for a while and was in addition to this. 'My' link was to do with producing England players, which is probably why Leeds are always under the cap... half a dozen must be on both the testimonial exemption AND the international one. ;)

Edited by hindle xiii, 23 April 2013 - 08:34 AM.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#93 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:36 AM

I knew there was a "testimonial exemption" but I just assumed that had been around for a while and was in addition to this. 'My' link was to do with producing England players, which is probably why Leeds are always under the cap... half a dozen must be on both the testimonial exemption AND the international one. ;)

I think it was Derwent who showed on here that the actual cap if you use all the exemptions is about £2.6m.

#94 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:37 AM

I knew there was a "testimonial exemption" but I just assumed that had been around for a while and was in addition to this. 'My' link was to do with producing England players, which is probably why Leeds are always under the cap... half a dozen must be on both the testimonial exemption AND the international one. ;)

Fair point. It was just with you're previous reference to Precious (who I'm assuming is S Tomkins) I thought we were discussing what allowed Wigan to up his contract.

#95 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,171 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:39 AM

Fair point. It was just with you're previous reference to Precious (who I'm assuming is S Tomkins) I thought we were discussing what allowed Wigan to up his contract.

Heh, yeah sorry just a bit of a pointy stick from t'other year that nickname!

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#96 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:39 PM

OK lets start with Widdop.
He is surrounded by some of the best going around true and, not simply in the NRL but in the entire world of R/L.
But surely the fact that he can come through the junior ranks at Melbourne, gain his stand off spot and become easily the first choice player in that position for a club such as Melbourne marks the lad out as being a litle more than one simply fortunate enough to have such as Cronk, Smith, etc on the same team?
Or his is a special case, one where he is simply the benefactor from being at Melbourne and not at Parramatta, say?

Somehow, I believe that the unarguable best club coach in the world of R/L may just have seen through that were it so, don't you all?

Now for Sam. The scenario printed by one contributor on previously this thread, straight from wonderland, wherein we whack the Aussies and go on to contest the WC final V the Kiwi's, with Sam displaying his talents superbly and winning ( single handedly? ) the final for us.
I for one sincerely hope that will be the case.
,But! Just Imagine that the same scenario follows all of that hyperbole to the letter, except that in the final, Sam has one of his horror shows, under the high balls from say Johnson and Marshall and, the consequence of that turns out to be that Sam is seen not as the F/Back to wish for, but as one that could not cope with that position in the NRL?

I hate to say this but in my experience of Sam Tomkins faced with such plays I do fear that could be the case more than the former that we dwelt upon.
I would if an NRL club be most wary of Tomkins ability to cope with the very accurate kicks that each and every NRL F/Back has to do and on a weekly basis at that.

I wholeheartedly agree with the comments on Sam in an attacking dimension but he is far from being the same player when faced with situations such as that one typified above, as good as he is on attack the fact remains that unless he improves under high balls he could prove the achilles heel of the England side let alone its saviour!

Would he make it in the NRL, I am certain he could, but whether it would be at F/Back.......? I am not so certain.

#97 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,083 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:47 PM

What about a salary cap exemption for selected European international players so long as they can be made available for their nations in mid-season tests, thus allowing the RFL to stage more test matches mid-season like in union?
Posted Image

#98 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,274 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:48 PM

He is surrounded by some of the best going around true and, not simply in the NRL but in the entire world of R/L.
But surely the fact that he can come through the junior ranks at Melbourne, gain his stand off spot and become easily the first choice player in that position for a club such as Melbourne marks the lad out as being a litle more than one simply fortunate enough to have such as Cronk, Smith, etc on the same team?
Or his is a special case, one where he is simply the benefactor from being at Melbourne and not at Parramatta, say?

Somehow, I believe that the unarguable best club coach in the world of R/L may just have seen through that were it so, don't you all?

Now for Sam. The scenario printed by one contributor on previously this thread, straight from wonderland, wherein we whack the Aussies and go on to contest the WC final V the Kiwi's, with Sam displaying his talents superbly and winning ( single handedly? ) the final for us.
,But! Just Imagine that the same scenario follows all of that hyperbole to the letter, except that in the final, Sam has one of his horror shows, under the high balls from say Johnson and Marshall and, the consequence of that turns out to be that Sam is seen not as the F/Back to wish for, but as one that could not cope with that position in the NRL?

I hate to say this but in my experience of Sam Tomkins faced with such plays I do fear that could be the case more than the former that we dwelt upon.
I would if an NRL club be most wary of Tomkins ability to cope with the very accurate kicks that each and every NRL F/Back has to do and on a weekly basis at that.

I wholeheartedly agree with the comments on Sam in an attacking dimension but he is far from being the same player when faced with situations such as that one typified above, as good as he is on attack the fact remains that unless he improves under high balls he could prove the achilles heel of the England side let alone its saviour!

Would he make it in the NRL, I am certain he could, but whether it would be at F/Back.......? I am not so certain.

And Slater never drops anything? Then again Slaters reliability on kick returns probably helps against the kiwis...

#99 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,867 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:36 PM

tomkins will go to union with joel, become one of the biggest names and highly paid stars their sport has ever seen, edwards farrel and phil clarke will see to that, good luck to him whatever he does, hope he stays in rl but find it highly unlikely -returning to eng at 30 something, as forgotten no-body wont keep in in "question of sport " appearences and countless other money making celebrity spin offs to keep him and his family comfy for the rest of their days, sorry but thats just how it is and no one will be able to blame him when he goes -which he will.

Since bedlam breakout considers Question of Sport appearances to be the height of sporting achievement, he'll have been delighted to see Kevin Sinfield on tonight's edition.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#100 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:05 PM

Sam is quality but it is inexcusable that someone of his reputed talent has not sorted out his issues under the high ball.

Which is why Hardaker is a better bet at full back for a wet Autumn night at Old Trafford IMO.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users