Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Sam Tomkins to NZ Warriors in 2015 (merged threads)

• Please log in to reply
224 replies to this topic

#101 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,585 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:12 AM

Sam is quality but it is inexcusable that someone of his reputed talent has not sorted out his issues under the high ball.

Which is why Hardaker is a better bet at full back for a wet Autumn night at Old Trafford IMO.

You don't win games with solid defence. You win with creative attack!
Posted Image

#102 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,982 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:27 AM

Are you actually a Hull KR fan?! :P

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#103 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:02 PM

And Slater never drops anything? Then again Slaters reliability on kick returns probably helps against the kiwis...

B/kid c'mon why be so pedantic? I would be the first to agree that every player makes such mistakes and that dropped high balls do happen to be one of the items that F/Backs suffer. Obviously they are often very noticeable occurrences.
But surely you cannot make out a comparable case with the frequent glaring misses that Sam Tomkins ( even in the S/L ) makes a habit of and the ones that you can count made by Slater and for that matter, a lot of other F/Backs playing presently within the NRL and S/L also, most of whom have (also deserve for other aspects in their game) much lower profiles than Sam Tomkins.
Even you yourself have commented on this very item in an critical manner too, have you not?

My criticism of Tomkins on this theme is one I do not apologise over, for it is the low point of what is otherwise an excellent player in almost every other aspect of his game, yet the fact remains that Sam Tomkins, love him or not, is NOT at all proficient or even ( I do not like saying this either) reliable when subjected to this method of attack and could prove a poor last line of defence if on one of his off days, when he will without any doubt be subjected to a hailstorm possibly of high and almost certainly accurate kicks from both the top S/Hemi sides and probably others also.

#104 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:08 PM

Sam is quality but it is inexcusable that someone of his reputed talent has not sorted out his issues under the high ball.

Which is why Hardaker is a better bet at full back for a wet Autumn night at Old Trafford IMO.

I believe that I would have to agree with that, the risk with Sam filling the F/B position is one that I personally fear could sorely backfire for us. 

Ah but not if the opposition scores more than you do, what.
PS: I doubt that any S/Hemi coach would agree with you on that either.

#105 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,826 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:28 PM

Rumours in the Aussie press that the Roosters are also interested in Sam.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#106 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,944 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:57 PM

The last time I watched Hardaker he dropped a high kick. I cannot recall Sam dropping one in any recent game. Hodgson, who spent years in the NRL, is much less reliable than Sam, and he played SoO (and is thus Superman in the NRL apologists department). As for Slater, he's a million miles away from being safe as houses. If Scott Moore and all the burgesses walk into first teams over it demonstrably ain't all that.

Edited by Exiled Wiganer, 26 April 2013 - 02:18 PM.

#107 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,654 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:18 PM

Good luck to Sam if indeed he does go to NRL. It must be terribly frustrating for him fannying around here where the game is held in such low regard by so many, including sometimes by its own fans.

#108 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,585 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:27 PM

Ah but not if the opposition scores more than you do, what.

PS: I doubt that any S/Hemi coach would agree with you on that either..

But you physically cannot win a game on defence alone. You need to score points! If your attack is absolutely shocking the best you can hope for is a 0-0 draw!
Posted Image

#109 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:21 PM

I do hope he doesn't go to the Warriors, it would be quite a waste.

#110 philipw

philipw
  • Coach
  • 543 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:26 AM

Apparently wants $1m per season

http://www.zerotackl...on-salary-9315/

#111 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,585 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:19 AM

Good on him for asking for huge money to entice him away. He's happy where he is I'm pretty sure.

He'd be a pretty rich young man if someone took the plunge!
Posted Image

#112 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,145 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:41 AM

Think Sam is going to be up against it with the aussie press whenever he does go over there. Already read a few negative articles aimed at trying to show him in a less than positive light

This one, trying to paint a picture that he wants more than he's worth, and another i've seen that claims he's saying no aussie forwards would make the English team! both seem to be aimed at getting the Australian RL public against him.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#113 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,866 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:18 PM

You mean like the long list of cry baby Australians who have skulked off back home from SL when they realised it wasn't as easy as they thought it was going to be.

Christ you are arrogant.

Not as much as you Mate.

Edited by AndyCapp, 03 May 2013 - 12:29 PM.

#114 Good Omen

Good Omen
  • Coach
  • 640 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:36 AM

I've heard  that Roosters were after him but baulked at his Salary demands. Truth in the Warriors rumour but surelty he would want to be at a Sydney club?

#115 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 955 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:32 AM

The last time I watched Hardaker he dropped a high kick. I cannot recall Sam dropping one in any recent game. 

That's probably because Sam tends to let the ball bounce quite a bit!

#116 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 955 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:42 AM

I've heard  that Roosters were after him but baulked at his Salary demands. Truth in the Warriors rumour but surelty he would want to be at a Sydney club?

Sounds like he's being greedy and his prime motivation for going is the filthy lucre, not the challenge of playing in the top comp.

Putting it into perspective, I have seen that the Rabbitohs were prepared to offer Inglis a similar amount (although a proportion is likely made up from 3rd party sponsorship) to resign which would have made him the first $1m player. Not surprised at the Roosters' reaction, £660k pa is a fair chunk of money, a significant increase on his Wigan salary and I would imagine one of the top NRL salaries paid? I presume there will be some kind of transfer fee too. 

So is Tomkins really worth as much as Inglis and Slater? I'd have to question that, particularly as they are both seasoned NRL pros.

Just out of interest, what are the likes of Burgess and Graham on?

#117 Chariots

Chariots
  • Coach
  • 528 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:05 AM

Good on Sam if he can get a good salary, it's a job just like the rest of us and not many of us change jobs for the challenge, he is a long time retired and needs to earn as much as he can while he is young

#118 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:09 AM

I heard a similar rumour but it wasn't his salary demand they had a problem with but rather the release fee Lenegan put on him.

#119 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:37 AM

I just hope the RL clubs don't start arguing and moaning whilst Union clubs sneak in and offer what the lad is worth.

#120 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,145 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:32 AM

Tomkin's Agent is hardly going to go into any negotiations and ask for whatever the particular NRL club think he's worth.

Any club that wants him will have to pay a fee, and Wigan wont let him go without being properly compensated, and rightly so.

Personally i think a lot of these stories are the Aussie press getting a few shots in on Sam early doors.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users