Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Sam Tomkins to NZ Warriors in 2015 (merged threads)

• Please log in to reply
224 replies to this topic

#121 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:15 PM

It's his profile as well that a club will be paying for, which ever club gets him will get a few extra fans especially from this side of the hemisphere. Like somebody else has said he's a long time retired and Wigan don't produce the likes of him every year, so I would hold out for what I could get. He'll be good value though for any club.
waddell

#122 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:29 AM

And rightly so to. If we are to be stripped of our best players by a competition that, according to most, don't need these players, then they should pay for that privilege.

I for one am not happy that all these players are going to end up in the NRL. I know people bleat on about how important it is for the international game that our players get to play against the best, but to be honest, I don't actually care that much.

We play a couple of internationals a year, and for the honour of a supposed competitive advantage, we don't get to watch our best players week in, week out.

If the Australian comp is as good as they say it is, then let them get on with developing their own players, and let us be as prohibitive as we can be when setting the transfer fees.

Wigan should sell Tomkins for £1M.

Guess he is going to French Rugby Union then with Digby Ioane.
No NRL Club is going to pay big transfer fees, it does not work that way in Australia unless you are S Burgess and have a man with too much money calling the shots.

Edited by AndyCapp, 08 May 2013 - 09:35 AM.

#123 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:31 PM

http://www.courierma...o-1226637911878

Looks like Titans are in the hunt now
Posted Image

Posted Image

#124 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:48 PM

Really?

So you think your mighty NRL clubs are going to get these players for free?

Dream on.

They are certainly not going to pay $1.5 million dollars in a transfer fee.
You are the one Dreaming there.

Then if an NRL club did buy him at a reasonable fee they still have to teach him how to catch a ball on the full. :-)

#125 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,045 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:05 PM

They are certainly not going to pay $1.5 million dollars in a transfer fee.
You are the one Dreaming there.

Then if an NRL club did buy him at a reasonable fee they still have to teach him how to catch a ball on the full. :-)

Tomkins has improved this year. Also Barba was brilliant at catching the ball on the full when he started playing first grade NRL. Don't forget Slater who NEVER drops anything.

Why can't you accept that a player playing in Super League is better than the majority the NRL has to offer.

#126 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,184 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:40 AM

The article says the transfer fee would be 250k..

Edited by EastLondonMike, 09 May 2013 - 05:41 AM.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#127 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:20 AM

Because he is your bog standard, one-eyed Australian. Probably never left the country in his whole pitiful life, in fact probably hasn't left his bedroom since the internet was invented.

How do you know that Hannibal?

#128 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:27 AM

Tomkins has improved this year. Also Barba was brilliant at catching the ball on the full when he started playing first grade NRL. Don't forget Slater who NEVER drops anything.

Why can't you accept that a player playing in Super League is better than the majority the NRL has to offer.

You do not know that Tomkins is better than the majority of NRL fullbacks, I don't think he is, we all have our opinions.

Edited by AndyCapp, 09 May 2013 - 07:51 AM.

#129 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:28 AM

That's close to the $1.5 million that Hannibal would like I guess.

#130 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,065 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:05 AM

Anyhoo, many twists and turns in this story probably, I read this morning even Tom Briscoe's move might not happen now, so there's every chance Sam Tomkins could have a change of heart.

I think someone is just a bit fed up because their club is struggling a bit at the moment.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#131 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,493 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:08 AM

Which Hannibal?

Hannibal used to have tiresome arguments with East Coast Tiger, a very one-eyed Aussie, who certainly thought that no NRL club would be interested in Sam Burgess.

However, as AndyCapp is new to the board and has not been on it before, so I am not sure how he knows who Hannibal was.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#132 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 969 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:22 AM

Quite. £165k doesn't seem over the top for a transfer fee.

However I do think his $1m dollars is OTT for a rookie to the NRL (as in an unproven newbie in the NRL). Personally I can't see Sam being worth the same as Inglis or Thurston right now to an NRL side. 

If he moves to the NRL he is going to be high profile anyway and there will be plenty of people wanting to knock him over on and off the field. A $1m price tag will only make the pressure and any fall all the greater. I would have thought a better strategy would be go in for a lower amount say $750k for a couple of years and if he really does set the NRL alight that next contract would probably be worth $1m plus. 

#133 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 391 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:38 AM

Anyhoo, many twists and turns in this story probably, I read this morning even Tom Briscoe's move might not happen now, so there's every chance Sam Tomkins could have a change of heart.

I think someone is just a bit fed up because their club is struggling a bit at the moment.

Have Cronulla realised that Briscoe ain't all that?

#134 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,065 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:40 AM

Have Cronulla realised that Briscoe ain't all that?

Probably the other way round! Anyway, I can't see it anywhere else, so it's still up in the air I suppose.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#135 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:50 AM

Hannibal used to have tiresome arguments with East Coast Tiger, a very one-eyed Aussie, who certainly thought that no NRL club would be interested in Sam Burgess.

However, as AndyCapp is new to the board and has not been on it before, so I am not sure how he knows who Hannibal was.

Indeed.

However I do think his $1m dollars is OTT for a rookie to the NRL (as in an unproven newbie in the NRL).

That's a bit disrespectful to Tomkins and Wigan. He is a better player than most in the NRL and Wigan are a better side than most in the NRL. Whilst the competition might be better on the whole, there are only a couple of clubs in the NRL that aren't a step down from Wigan.
People called Romans they go the house

#136 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 391 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:56 AM

Indeed.
That's a bit disrespectful to Tomkins and Wigan. He is a better player than most in the NRL and Wigan are a better side than most in the NRL. Whilst the competition might be better on the whole, there are only a couple of clubs in the NRL that aren't a step down from Wigan.

Yeah, of course he's better than most in the NRL, but $1 million rates him as the second best player in the league. It's entirely understandable that people might object to that.

#137 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:05 AM

Yeah, of course he's better than most in the NRL, but $1 million rates him as the second best player in the league. It's entirely understandable that people might object to that.

I don't disagree with that. I was just picking up on the point that had implied playing for Wigan wouldn't be an adequate preparation for the NRL.
People called Romans they go the house

#138 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:30 AM

Which Hannibal?

The one you used to post as until you were banned for being too arrogant.

#139 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:33 AM

Really?
AndyCapp Member Since 25 Mar 2010
Hannibal was posting until at least 31 May 2011 - 07:16 PM according to his profile.

Anyway who cares, Franksy is Hannibal in my mind and his style of personality will always show itself under any name, I love his posts and opinions.

Edited by AndyCapp, 09 May 2013 - 11:45 AM.

#140 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:42 AM

I hope Tomkins moves to the NRL, there needs to be more English backs trying their hand at the top level.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users