Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Sam Tomkins to NZ Warriors in 2015 (merged threads)

• Please log in to reply
224 replies to this topic

#141 steef

steef
  • Coach
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:04 PM

Regarding how well Tomkins may do in the NRL , no australian player has had the impact on SL that he has. He'd do very well over there.
"surely they've got to try somthing different now, maybe the little chip over the top?2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stufod/

http://www.facebook....156268557729980

#142 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 977 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:30 PM

Indeed.
 That's a bit disrespectful to Tomkins and Wigan. He is a better player than most in the NRL and Wigan are a better side than most in the NRL. Whilst the competition might be better on the whole, there are only a couple of clubs in the NRL that aren't a step down from Wigan.

Don't think it is disrespectful at all.

He and his representatives are asking for a top dollar salary, a figure currently earned by only the very best NRL'ers such as Inglis, for him to play in a comp where he has no history whatsoever. As good a player as Tomkins is, I just do not rate him as highly as Inglis or Thurston at this moment in time and therefore do not think he is worthy of the $1m price tag. 

If he really wants to go, he should consider going for less than that and prove himself on the biggest stage. Give it 18 months of quality performances and clubs will be queuing up to shower him in $1m plus contracts.

He also needs to consider the baggage that will inevitably come from being the $1m Pommie which will no doubt make him a big target on and off the field.

Edited by foozler, 09 May 2013 - 03:21 PM.

#143 Scuuba

Scuuba
  • Players
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:27 PM

I still don't know what to make of all this Tomkins to the Warriors episode. The media in NZ seem quite convinced, but I still wonder if his management are playing the club off against someone else (maybe the Titans or a RU side)? The Warriors have had great service from Locke and also have some great young backs coming through, like Fisiiahi and Tuimavave who were top notch NYC players. I just can't see them getting a return on investment for the amount of money being mentioned.

They do have wealthy backer in Owen Glenn, so maybe he's serious to add some international flavour to the team. Elliot continues to state how surprised he's been at the reluctance of Australian players to make the move to Auckland, so maybe they've given up and decided to target Europe's best instead? The Warriors style of play would certainly suit Tomkins game, but it's not one of the glamour clubs by any stretch!

#144 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,248 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:50 PM

I trust in I'll to get the best deal for Wigan and the game generally. From our perspective, having Sam play for a club with whom we have close links is good, but most importantly it gives us a good chance to get good players as part of the deal. Out biggest challenge is replacing him, even with the huge sums freed up under the cap. We have lost pretty much every match he hasn't played in over the last few years, so to say we are reliant on him is a massive under statement. Locke would go some little way to compensating. I wonder whether any other NRL club would even contemplate sending players over the other way.

#145 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 977 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:21 PM

I trust in I'll to get the best deal for Wigan and the game generally. From our perspective, having Sam play for a club with whom we have close links is good, but most importantly it gives us a good chance to get good players as part of the deal. Out biggest challenge is replacing him, even with the huge sums freed up under the cap. We have lost pretty much every match he hasn't played in over the last few years, so to say we are reliant on him is a massive under statement. Locke would go some little way to compensating. I wonder whether any other NRL club would even contemplate sending players over the other way.

Thought you were going to bring Eastmond back up the M5/ M6 to replace Sam?

#146 Scuuba

Scuuba
  • Players
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:16 PM

Eastmond wouldn't be a bad replacement for Tomkins, as would Locke.

I'd be surprised if Locke would want to make the move though, as I doubt Wigan would pay him a wage anywhere near what Tomkins is receiving.

And it's not like Wigan really need the immediate transfer cash. They need good players to win titles and selling them all off to make the bank account look good isn't helping that primary goal. At what point do you stop becoming a production line to better things and start becoming the pinnacle?

#147 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 01:28 PM

Eastmond wouldn't be a bad replacement for Tomkins, as would Locke.

I'd be surprised if Locke would want to make the move though, as I doubt Wigan would pay him a wage anywhere near what Tomkins is receiving.

And it's not like Wigan really need the immediate transfer cash. They need good players to win titles and selling them all off to make the bank account look good isn't helping that primary goal. At what point do you stop becoming a production line to better things and start becoming the pinnacle?

I think the main reason behind Locke not wanting to be part of the move,  is he would get offers from other NRL clubs.

#148 Scuuba

Scuuba
  • Players
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:21 PM

Exactly. If you were Locke, and saw the kind of numbers being thrown around the NRL at the moment you'd be crazy to move away from that.

I think all talk of Locke going to Wigan is just talk.

Maybe the NZ Warriors are looking at Tomkins not as a fullback? Either way it seems like it's a done deal now, no smoke without fire and all that...

http://www.stuff.co....ding-to-bookies

#149 Chariots

Chariots
  • Coach
  • 533 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:17 AM

Funny reading these post about 'is Sam good enough', one of the problems we in the British game have always had when playing Australia is that we never really thought we were as good as them

Here we have Sam Tomkins, a cocky you lad who belives he is awesome, he can be a pain, he can be arrogant but to be honest his is blooming good

24 trys in last 10 games, last person to score that many was Martin Offiah

#150 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:21 AM

Funny reading these post about 'is Sam good enough', one of the problems we in the British game have always had when playing Australia is that we never really thought we were as good as them

Here we have Sam Tomkins, a cocky you lad who belives he is awesome, he can be a pain, he can be arrogant but to be honest his is blooming good

24 trys in last 10 games, last person to score that many was Martin Offiah

Agreed, I have no doubt if he went to the NRL that he'd be one of the top players there, not saying he would be the best player in the comp which is why I dont think he can command the salary that has been mentioned here but he would be an exciting addition and to see him line up against the likes of Ben Barba, Billy Slater, Greg Inglis etc every week would be awesome.

I think most decent SL players could make it into an NRL team, the biggest difference for me is the intensity week in week out. Once the players got used to that then they'd be fine!

#151 Scuuba

Scuuba
  • Players
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:46 AM

These guys going to the NRL will definitely benefit England on the park. But it might start to cut into the Exiles game and the Super League.

But possibly if England start to really compete at International level then it will start to grab some media headlines and fan interest generally.

#152 carlos

carlos
  • Coach
  • 420 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:47 PM

Back to the Topic in question. This is a done deal, and will come early with huge transfer fee to allow the move to go through in 2014.

#153 7723

• Coach
  • 709 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:15 PM

Sam Tomkins is going to NZ Warriors.

Wigan Warriors announce that fullback Sam Tomkins will join NRL Club New Zealand Warriors from 2014 on a three year deal.

#154 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:17 PM

Oh well. At least we won't have to suffer a 'what might have been' moment at the union world cup.
People called Romans they go the house

#155 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,248 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:18 PM

Good luck to him!
Great that he's staying in our game.
Thursday will be his last home game - I'm guessing he'll run his blood to water against Leeds.

#156 Odsal Outlaw

Odsal Outlaw
  • Coach
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:21 PM

Link:

http://www.wiganwarr...?id=8674&type=1
Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League
Harry Jepson Winners 2008
RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008
East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008
Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005
RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

#157 7723

• Coach
  • 709 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:23 PM

Bowen has also signed a 1 year deal with Wigan.

http://www.wiganwarr...?id=8675&type=1

Edited by 7723, 23 September 2013 - 02:23 PM.

#158 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:29 PM

Good on Sam Tomkins and I look forward to him lighting up the NRL with the NZ warriors, chance for ryan hampshire or lewis tierney to stake their claims on the #1 spot at Wigan. Still have a gut feeling that he'll be trying his hand at union after the 3 years is up in the NRL for the 2018 world cup as he'll only be 29.

#159 RLDave

RLDave
  • Coach
  • 768 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:53 PM

It's even made the BBC mobile front page!
@ohcallicalli

You can't beat an owl!

#160 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,243 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:53 PM

Best of luck Sam.. Happy to see one of our stars taking on the challenge of the NRL again, and the first 'back' of recent times to do so.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users