RLEF media release

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Italia RFL

Italia RFL
  • Twitter
  • 72 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:54 PM

A message from David Massitti, President of “Federazione Italia Rugby Football League”

http://federleague.i...football-league

#2 bird

bird
  • Coach
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:43 PM

Here we go again

#3 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:13 PM

Rugby league is inherently prone to schisms and so is Italy.

51 clubs!

I think a little bit of rounding up is going on.

#4 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,837 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:41 PM

Rugby league is inherently prone to schisms and so is Italy.

51 clubs!

I think a little bit of rounding up is going on.

I don't know if the 51 is true or not. I do know that there seems to be an explosion in RL clubs being formed all over eastern Europe, in Scandanavia in Jamaica, Canada and i know there are teams in Russia still, Germany, Holland. Lebanon and there is some movement in various African countries.

Someone from the RLIF should do a tally and see how the game at amateur level is expanding worldwide. To me, just reading various snippets like this and others, the growth seems to be amazing.

In my youth in Europe, including the UK and Ireland, there were no clubs in Ireland, Wales or Scotland, there were half a dozen clubs in the London league and none other outside the heartlands and none anywhere in continental Europe outside of France.

I can't really explain this tremendous growth unless end of the RU ban on people playing RL has had any effect. I do know it's a great thing.

#5 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:02 PM

I don't know if the 51 is true or not. I do know that there seems to be an explosion in RL clubs being formed all over eastern Europe, in Scandanavia in Jamaica, Canada and i know there are teams in Russia still, Germany, Holland. Lebanon and there is some movement in various African countries.

Someone from the RLIF should do a tally and see how the game at amateur level is expanding worldwide. To me, just reading various snippets like this and others, the growth seems to be amazing.

In my youth in Europe, including the UK and Ireland, there were no clubs in Ireland, Wales or Scotland, there were half a dozen clubs in the London league and none other outside the heartlands and none anywhere in continental Europe outside of France.

I can't really explain this tremendous growth unless end of the RU ban on people playing RL has had any effect. I do know it's a great thing.

I'm in Turin now. If there were 51 rugby league clubs, it is odd that I have yet to meet a single Italian who has heard of rugby league.

#6 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,882 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:08 AM

51 clubs or 51 teams?

rldfsignature.jpg

#7 Italia RFL

Italia RFL
  • Twitter
  • 72 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:38 AM

yes senior men's teams but all are registered clubs. for example lets just say we have x40 teams, 10 would be revolution league, 10 coppa italia, the rest are teams that receive rugby league development sessions or training for the first time through visiting coaches. regards Joel

#8 League Express

League Express
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:56 AM

Following recent statements on social media concerning rugby league in Italy, the RLEF reconfirms its position that FIRL (Federazione Italiana Rugby League) is the sole legal and recognised National Governing Body of Italian rugby league. FIRL has recently opened a dialogue with the Italian Olympic Committee (CONI), including a meeting with its Secretary General Roberto Fabbricini and the RLEF rejects any claim that CONI recognises any other body as the legal Italian national governing body of rugby league.

The RLEF has worked closely with FIRL over the past 18-months on governance protocols. This process has included monitoring by representatives of Rugby League Ireland as part of an EU-funded governance improvement programme. The RLEF believes and is satisfied that FIRL’s practice in this area meets the high standards required of a pluralistic and transparent sports governing body.

FIRL has appealed to all Italian rugby league clubs with an interest in promoting rugby league to enter into consultation over the new constitution, which is based on CONI regulations, and  join FIRL. They can do this in the knowledge that their rights are protected by the new constitution. They and their views will be welcome.

Danny Kazandjian, General Manager of the RLEF, commented: “It is disappointing that there are people in Italy actively working against our member, FIRL. We have worked alongside the President of FIRL and his Board to ensure that the organisation meets the standards required by the RLIF, RLEF and most importantly the Italian Olympic Committee. I can confirm the solid progress that is being made in Italy through the dedicated and widening pool of volunteers. We are in very regular dialogue with FIRL and continue to scrutinise their governance processes to ensure best practice.

“We have no confirmation of the claims made by other parties in Italy; however we have evidence where information has been exaggerated and distorted. Simply, everyone who values the best interests of rugby league in Italy should be a part of FIRL; they have protection from the FIRL constitution and of the RLEF.”

PHIL CAPLAN

RLEF MEDIA OFFICER

League Express is Britain's biggest selling Rugby League publication
On sale every Monday, in shops, on subscription and online for PC/MAC, iPad, iPhone, Android & Kindle Fire.
Follow us on Twitter @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users