TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Does Super League need more televised coverage?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 gnidir

gnidir
  • Coach
  • 309 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:11 AM

I've said over and over, superleague should take less money for more tv time.
Clubs can easily make up any shortfall in sponsorship deals.
The viewing figures we get on sky would be similar on premier, more on itv2, lots more on terrestrial tv, even with a delayed game. I really think we need to move towards this model.
More exposure is more attractive to more sponsors who in turn are more likely to be the ones with bigger marketing budgets and more recognisable, bringing the reputation if superleague alongside them in stature.
Easier said than done I know

#22 ParraEelsNRL

ParraEelsNRL
  • Coach
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:18 AM

I think it stinks on behalf of SKY SPORTS seeing as out in Australia, we have all these union games on from all over the place that don't rate above 20k (outside Aussie Union) yet they keep shoving it on every sports channel. Then there is the A League soccer that gets less ratings in Australia by well over half compared to the SL in the UK yet they get every game shown live and their crowds are the same as the SL too. Yet every game live on the box while a sport in the UK with much bigger ratings week in week out gets 2 miserable games a week.

SKY SPORTS, you are the lot holding Rugby League back in the UK, that is a fact.

#23 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,789 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:21 AM

Australia's population is a lot lower than the UK though, so even if something rates half what SL does in UK, as a percentage of the population it's probably more. Not really comparing like with like.

Anyone who thinks Super League is a competition that is popular enough amongst broadcasters in this country to have every match on tv isn't really looking at the reality of the situation.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#24 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:58 AM

The viewing figures we get on sky would be similar on premier, more on itv2, lots more on terrestrial tv

Just to be clear, ITV2 is terrestrial tv now, and the figures on Premier would be a tiny fraction of those on Sky. As they would also be on ESPN/BT Sport.

#25 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:01 AM

How do you put a poster on ignore?

#26 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:31 AM

I think it stinks on behalf of SKY SPORTS seeing as out in Australia, we have all these union games on from all over the place that don't rate above 20k (outside Aussie Union) yet they keep shoving it on every sports channel. Then there is the A League soccer that gets less ratings in Australia by well over half compared to the SL in the UK yet they get every game shown live and their crowds are the same as the SL too. Yet every game live on the box while a sport in the UK with much bigger ratings week in week out gets 2 miserable games a week.

SKY SPORTS, you are the lot holding Rugby League back in the UK, that is a fact.

Not sure really how you come up with that last line.

The sports market is completely different over here than in Oz. Getting 2 games a round is pretty standard.

The Barclays Premier League gets 138 live games televised out of 380 (36%)

The Super League gets around 65 games televised out of 189 (34%)

No sport at all over here gets all regular season games televised - it is a different world over there!

#27 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:57 AM

How do you put a poster on ignore?

Just to be clear, go to the right hand corner of the page, click on your username to show menu, and click on 'Manage Friends'. On menu on left hand side click 'Ignore Preferences', then fill in the box with username of person to be ignored, and click on 'messages' box.

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#28 ParraEelsNRL

ParraEelsNRL
  • Coach
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:51 AM

Not sure really how you come up with that last line.

The sports market is completely different over here than in Oz. Getting 2 games a round is pretty standard.

The Barclays Premier League gets 138 live games televised out of 380 (36%)

The Super League gets around 65 games televised out of 189 (34%)

No sport at all over here gets all regular season games televised - it is a different world over there!

No, I'm not having a crack about what you are saying and I don't expect every game on TV either, but two games a week is not very good.

The populations might be a lot different, but when a SL game can and does rate over 200k sometimes more, sometimes a bit less, that's still up to 3 times what the A League soccer rates out here, I'm sure that's about the same as the SL in the UK seeing as the populations are as you say 3 times the difference, so more or less works out to be quite even imo. That's why I think it stinks on Sky sports behalf.

The RFL should be asking for a minimum of 3 ESL games a week.

#29 Mr Wind Up

Mr Wind Up
  • Coach
  • 190 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:15 AM

No, I'm not having a crack about what you are saying and I don't expect every game on TV either, but two games a week is not very good.

The populations might be a lot different, but when a SL game can and does rate over 200k sometimes more, sometimes a bit less, that's still up to 3 times what the A League soccer rates out here, I'm sure that's about the same as the SL in the UK seeing as the populations are as you say 3 times the difference, so more or less works out to be quite even imo. That's why I think it stinks on Sky sports behalf.

As he pointed out, the percentage of matches on TV is roughly the same as the Premier League. The PL can get ratings over 2 million; does that mean all its game should be live because in Australia all football matches are aired?

#30 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:40 AM

Just to be clear, go to the right hand corner of the page, click on your username to show menu, and click on 'Manage Friends'. On menu on left hand side click 'Ignore Preferences', then fill in the box with username of person to be ignored, and click on 'messages' box.

Thanks for that, very clear instructions Mate.

#31 ParraEelsNRL

ParraEelsNRL
  • Coach
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:10 PM

As he pointed out, the percentage of matches on TV is roughly the same as the Premier League. The PL can get ratings over 2 million; does that mean all its game should be live because in Australia all football matches are aired?

No, but that shouldn't stop the RFL trying to get another game, should it?

#32 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:35 PM

Just to be clear, do you know that it is not the clubs and the RFL who only want 2 matches per week televised? Maybe they want to limit the number to protect attendances. The current contract amounts to an average of around a third of a club's home games being shown.

#33 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,322 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:19 PM

i somehow doubt the RFL and the SL clubs could generate approx 40-50 million in sponsorship every few years even if they had terrestrial TV coverage, maybe they could generate half of that if Rugby League had the kind of coverage on terrestrial TV that it gets currently on sky, but in any other scenario it's unfortunately not going to happen.

SKY are the only broadcaster that is going to give the RFL anything close to what they want for TV rights. Even if teh RFL were above to generate 10million a year in sponsorship it still wouldn't cover the shortfall.

The only way rugby league will enjoy greater exposure on terrestrial TV is through Internationals and/or creating a new tournament specifically for broadcast on terrestrial TV.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#34 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:23 PM

how many cc cup games are televised this weekend?

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#35 ParraEelsNRL

ParraEelsNRL
  • Coach
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:44 PM

Just to be clear, do you know that it is not the clubs and the RFL who only want 2 matches per week televised? Maybe they want to limit the number to protect attendances. The current contract amounts to an average of around a third of a club's home games being shown.

Well thats some daft backwards thinking if I've ever seen it.

#36 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 278 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:07 PM

you are very right, but I am not sure whether know the intrinsic details of the contract over here?

If not, it is the RFL who are holding back on showing more games, not SKY.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users