Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Tetley's Challenge Cup: Hull KR v St Helens KO 2.30pm (BBCTV)

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (16 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Hull KR by 13 points or more (3 votes [18.75%])

Percentage of vote: 18.75%

2. Voted Hull KR by 7 to 12 points (5 votes [31.25%])

Percentage of vote: 31.25%

3. Hull KR by 1 to 6 points (2 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

4. St Helens by 1 to 6 points (2 votes [12.50%])

5. St Helens by 7 to 12 points (2 votes [12.50%])

6. St Helens by 13 points or more (2 votes [12.50%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#81 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,374 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:11 AM

you're right!

Where the hell were the explosions with Bruce Willis diving through them to score a try for USA in the 2013 World Cup Final???

anyone? 

where were they?

Try harder

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#82 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:51 AM

Terrific game, really enjoyed it. Saints played well with twelve but Hull KR hd enough brains and skill around the park to win it, deservedly.

You can tell it's a good game because the best the moaners can come up with on this thread is something about a World Cup promo and an unfinished stand being empty. :wacko:

Don't be a Bell now. I admitted I was wrong!

#83 Hullfan

Hullfan
  • Coach
  • 687 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:03 PM

How's welham after Gardner ruined him what a hit that was just confirms why the shoulder charge been ruled out was the wrong decision!!!!

#84 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,731 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:22 PM

Don't be a Bell now. I admitted I was wrong!

Sadly, he can't help himself sometimes.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#85 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,652 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:55 PM

How's welham after Gardner ruined him what a hit that was just confirms why the shoulder charge been ruled out was the wrong decision!!!!

A rule is a rule, of course. With Wilkin being put on Report, why then did Gardner and Turner commit the same offence? The players need a good lecture.

#86 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,302 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:18 PM

He played in the second half, so he was hardly 'ruined'.  I'm not sure what the punishment is for a shoulder charge per se.  Is it just a penalty?  I don't think Gardner hit Whelam in the head; I think Whelam suffered whiplash.  Wilkin may have more of a case to answer IMO.

However, my team's players seem to have been in a bubble in the first half, forgetting that they were actually subject to the same rules as everyone else. 

#87 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,302 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:19 PM

A rule is a rule, of course. With Wilkin being put on Report, why then did Gardner and Turner commit the same offence? The players need a good lecture.

A quote from Brown directly off the Saints website post match interview: "I'm not concerned one bit at all about our discipline; putting things on report is an easy thing to do and they (the processes) will run their course."  I doubt anyone will be getting a lecture.

#88 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,787 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:27 PM

No way that crowd was any different to normal SL games at Craven Park - which have had much higher crowds.

Was the crowd at Wigan really as low as less than 7k when Leigh took over 2k (from all accounts)? I didnt go due to a business trip to the USA but I find this low crowd very hard to believe.

There needs to be an independant commission to check cup crowds so that they away team doesnt get shafted.

#89 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:08 PM

Although Leigh took 2k, the three Wigan stands were sparse - around 7k seemed about right.

#90 Brigg Rover

Brigg Rover
  • Coach
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 03:36 PM

No way that crowd was any different to normal SL games at Craven Park - which have had much higher crowds.

Was the crowd at Wigan really as low as less than 7k when Leigh took over 2k (from all accounts)? I didnt go due to a business trip to the USA but I find this low crowd very hard to believe.

There needs to be an independant commission to check cup crowds so that they away team doesnt get shafted.

There were a lot less than usual in the main stand and the well in the west stand was almost empty. The East Stand did not feel as full as usual and there were quite a few of the regular faces not around were we stand so I would have said there was about 5500 to 6000 there.

#91 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,652 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 03:37 PM

A quote from Brown directly off the Saints website post match interview: "I'm not concerned one bit at all about our discipline; putting things on report is an easy thing to do and they (the processes) will run their course."  I doubt anyone will be getting a lecture.

Not good enough. Discipline is key in terms of not losing ground. I think it's Brown who need a quiet word in his ear! Didn't the Saints have a penalty account 15 to 7 against them in the recent league match?

Edited by Saint Billinge, 21 April 2013 - 04:08 PM.

#92 Brigg Rover

Brigg Rover
  • Coach
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 03:41 PM

Got to Saints were very ill disciplined. Wilkin, LMS, Lance waste of money and Turner were at it all game. Have to say Wilkin in particular seemed to be running around with a right chip on his shoulder, not sure if he thinks he is better than everyone else cos he has started a union, but he needs to have a look at himself.

#93 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,302 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:45 PM

Not good enough. Discipline is key in terms of not losing ground. I think it's Brown who need a quiet word in his ear! Didn't the Saints have a penalty account 15 to 7 against them in the recent league match?

Yes, although on Saturday I think the penalty count was more even. 

#94 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,374 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:50 PM

There were a lot less than usual in the main stand and the well in the west stand was almost empty. The East Stand did not feel as full as usual and there were quite a few of the regular faces not around were we stand so I would have said there was about 5500 to 6000 there.

The crowd for the Rovers v Cas game on Sky was 6,500. You could see from the TV pictures that the crowd yesterday was well down compared to that game. The official attendance figure looked about right to me.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#95 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,320 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:04 PM

Thought some of the shoulder charges from Saints were poor. Think this game should be costly for them, whether it will be I dont know.

Hard to defend the shoulder charges as the players have obviously made conscious decisions to do it, and in the three I saw, not one of the HKR players were holding the ball.

#96 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,787 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:26 PM

Although Leigh took 2k, the three Wigan stands were sparse - around 7k seemed about right.

Ok thanks - why so few Wigan fans though? Predictable scoreline? Big problem for RL that we have created a game where shocks are rarer than rocking horse terd. I dont go for this guff about everyone needing to be fitter to run up and down 10m every tackle. Its quite a silly rule tbh on not a core rugby skill. What next? 15m and then 20m retirement?

#97 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,320 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:34 PM

Ok thanks - why so few Wigan fans though? Predictable scoreline? Big problem for RL that we have created a game where shocks are rarer than rocking horse terd. I dont go for this guff about everyone needing to be fitter to run up and down 10m every tackle. Its quite a silly rule tbh on not a core rugby skill. What next? 15m and then 20m retirement?

have 1st div v 2nd div clashes ever been that attractive?

#98 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,018 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:50 PM

have 1st div v 2nd div clashes ever been that attractive?

Good crowd at Fev for both the Cas and Wigan games last year

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#99 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,018 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:52 PM

Got to Saints were very ill disciplined. Wilkin, LMS, Lance waste of money and Turner were at it all game. Have to say Wilkin in particular seemed to be running around with a right chip on his shoulder, not sure if he thinks he is better than everyone else cos he has started a union, but he needs to have a look at himself.

IMO Wilkin gets away with a lot of stuff other players get canned for.  If Meli doesn't stiff arm Hall it's game over anyway.  One of the worst stiff arms I've seen - reminiscent of Paul Rose on Johnnie Gilbert at Wembley in '83.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#100 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,018 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:53 PM

Shocks in RL have always been as rare as rocking horse manure, can you list me the vast number of big upsets pre SL. You must be able to rattle twenty off without thinking about it.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users